The Children of Hurin

Red

The Children of Hurin

Postby Red » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:51 pm

Still waiting for The Hobbit movie to be made, I got a little antsy and picked up Tolkien's The Children of Hurin. This took place 6500 years before the Lord of the Rings and edited by his J.R.R.'s son. Fun reading!

Parrotpaul

Re: The Children of Hurin

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:55 pm

Didja ever read the DUNE series? First two or three were pretty good then they were strained.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Red

Postby Red » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:01 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:Didja ever read the DUNE series? First two or three were pretty good then they were strained.

No, and I am thinking Herbert cant hold a candle to Tolkien. Just a guess.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Red wrote:
No, and I am thinking Herbert cant hold a candle to Tolkien. Just a guess.
Didn't know there was a competition. I'm not a big fan of fantasy or science fiction, but I loved DUNE...never could get into Tolkien.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Red

Postby Red » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:Didn't know there was a competition. I'm not a big fan of fantasy or science fiction, but I loved DUNE...never could get into Tolkien.

Didnt mean to being up competition. Watch 15 minutes of Dune and didnt like it. Love fantasy and science. Jason and the Argonauts was awsome.
Last edited by Red on Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Red wrote:
Didnt mean to being up competition. Watch 15 minutes of Dune and didnt like it.
The movie..both of them really sucked, but the book was a great read. Give it a shot...the first two and maybe the third.

bubba35

Postby bubba35 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:58 am

As a rule. don't care for science fiction or fantasy but absolutely loved Tolkin and the first three of the Dune series. The children of Turin were a tough read for me. I don't think the son holds a candle to papa Tolkin. Had an equally tough time with the Silmarillion (sp). If I'm not mistaken papa started it and son finished it. I've read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings three times each. Been through the first three Dune books twice. Great entertainment.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:28 am

Dune was probably the most enjoyable first time read in my life--and I read it after the movie. Then the other books in the series couldn't hold my interest.

As for Tolkien, I felt obligated to read them as a sci-fi fan. I found it a real chore. I can appreciate some detail, but I felt like he was describing every rock and bush on the journey.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Return to “Reading”