LIberty and Tyranny

GOODave

LIberty and Tyranny

Post by GOODave » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:40 pm

By Mark Levin

Should not be missed by anyone, on either side, who is a serious student of politics and politicians.

Chapter 6, in particular, gives a wonderfully insightful treatment of our economy and much of what led us to where we are now...

Parrotpaul

Re: LIberty and Tyranny

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Dave, you really should publish the entire title of Levin's book: Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto

Both sides?

http://www.wabcradio.com/showdj.asp?DJID=12009

A review: http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivoro ... festo.html
Last edited by Parrotpaul on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:Dave, you really should publish the entire title of Levin's book: Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto

Both sides?

http://www.wabcradio.com/showdj.asp?DJID=12009
I "really should," huh? By who's dogma?

No, I didn't say he published "both sides." He really only believes one side. what I said was BOTH SIDES of the party should READ his book: Even if you don't agree with him (and my bet is you will neither read it NOR agree with it), it gives you a solid foundation for why others do believe as they do, politically.

Do you always have to be so acerbic? Suspicion is such an ugly emotion.

dave

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:11 pm

GOODave wrote:I "really should," huh? By who's dogma?

No, I didn't say he published "both sides." He really only believes one side. what I said was BOTH SIDES of the party should READ his book: Even if you don't agree with him (and my bet is you will neither read it NOR agree with it), it gives you a solid foundation for why others do believe as they do, politically.

Do you always have to be so acerbic? Suspicion is such an ugly emotion.

dave
You'd win the bet.

Seen enough of that side.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Luca

Post by Luca » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:17 pm

I have that book, Dave. I've read the first few pages and I'm hesitant to go on because I'm afraid it's going to turn into a prolonged ideological rant. I'm so tired of reading orthodoxy from the ideologically rigid.

But the guy does know his classic philosophy - which I like - so I'm going togive it one more try. Luca

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:38 pm

GOODave wrote: I "really should," huh? By who's dogma?

dave
I was taken aback, Dave. I never thought you to be a man who would go only halfway. You're usually exactling and a stickler for accuracy. I'm sure you don't shine half your shoes.

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:01 pm

Wow. I don't even know what to say here. This is what you call reading for pleasure Dave?
Call me fastidious but I have an unwritten rule to never read anything written by a political radio show host.

If you are going to read something written recently with political flavor, try "American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House" by Jon Meacham.

And if you really want to get crazy try "Blackwater" by Jeremy Scahill. http://blackwaterbook.com/

I'm diving into the Dumas' Three Muskateers again now. It was a gift and I haven't read it since high school.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:33 am

Parrotpaul wrote: I was taken aback, Dave. I never thought you to be a man who would go only halfway. You're usually exactling and a stickler for accuracy. I'm sure you don't shine half your shoes.
Wow, really myopic even for you, Paul.

I don't recall indicating that was the only book I read on my vacation, the only source of information I consumed, or the only philosophy I considered.

You just made all that up so you could have the last word.

OOPS, I guess I just blew that, didn't I!

:lol:

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:39 am

Luca wrote:I have that book, Dave. I've read the first few pages and I'm hesitant to go on because I'm afraid it's going to turn into a prolonged ideological rant. I'm so tired of reading orthodoxy from the ideologically rigid.

But the guy does know his classic philosophy - which I like - so I'm going togive it one more try. Luca
Yes, he does lean heavily to that side, obviously. I also acknowledge I had the same concern in Chapter 1 and moving into Chapter 2 and I cannot honestly say he strays too far from conservativism (or at all) but, after all, it is called The Conservative Manifesto.

However, I also started seeing a lot of the arguments we have been using in this community (only with a lot more framework and support) and that kept me going. He is quite a student of history, as well and, as I mentioned about Chapter 6, I recalled the "New Deal" and "FDR" arguments that went on in here while I was reading Chapter 6 and found myself wishing I'd read that chapter BEFORE those guys embarked on that argument.

It's not all clear sailing: There were times I stopped in the middle of(or just a couple pages into) a chapter and, then, made myself pick it up later, but by and large, it is a very good treatment of conservative thought which gives "us" a proper framework and, again, these liberals in here will err in not reading.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:21 am

THe Nug wrote:Wow. I don't even know what to say here. This is what you call reading for pleasure Dave?
Call me fastidious but I have an unwritten rule to never read anything written by a political radio show host...
No, I haven't previouisly called that "reading for pleasure" but since I'm not currently in a formal academic setting and, so, have no "required" reading, per se, I suppose the only other category available to me is "pleasure" reading: I got the book as a (requested) gift on Father's Day and have chosen to read it.

I accept you and I have different criteria for books we read and ordinarily I would add your suggestions to my list, but unfortunately I have a Ted Decker and a Gilbert Norris novels on that list already as well as Glenn Beck's book (the title for which escapes me at the moment), and 2 books on Leadership by Andy Stanley and by John Maxwell....

So, at this time, I haven't the capacity to consider your resources.

dave

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 am

GOODave wrote:. . . and 2 books on Leadership by Andy Stanley and by John Maxwell . . .
I'm not sure I'd bother with the Maxwell book.

MDD

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:24 am

GOODave wrote:
No, I haven't previouisly called that "reading for pleasure" but since I'm not currently in a formal academic setting and, so, have no "required" reading, per se, I suppose the only other category available to me is "pleasure" reading: I got the book as a (requested) gift on Father's Day and have chosen to read it.

I accept you and I have different criteria for books we read and ordinarily I would add your suggestions to my list, but unfortunately I have a Ted Decker and a Gilbert Norris novels on that list already as well as Glenn Beck's book (the title for which escapes me at the moment), and 2 books on Leadership by Andy Stanley and by John Maxwell....

So, at this time, I haven't the capacity to consider your resources.

dave
I don't know what surprises me more...that your taste is worse than I could have ever imagined or Glenn Beck has written more than one book and people actually read it. I'll get back to you.

Perhaps Fordama should contact Beck and offer to translate his books from "myopic retard" to English.
Last edited by THe Nug on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:27 am

THe Nug wrote:
I don't know what surprises me more...that your taste is worse than I could have ever imagined or Glenn Beck has written more than one book and people actually read it. I get get back to you.

Perhaps Fordama should contact Beck and offer to translate his books from "myopic retard" to English.
Speaking of Glenn Beck, I heard there are about 36 companies who have said they won't sponsor his program because he called Obama a racist.

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:44 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Speaking of Glenn Beck, I heard there are about 36 companies who have said they won't sponsor his program because he called Obama a racist.
Part of me thinks this is great because most cable "news" programs are complete garbage. But it brings to reality that freedom of the press is not a reality in America. Sure you can say and write anything you want (within reason), but pundits, editors and newscasters are slaves of their advertisers. This is part of the reason GW Bush got a free ride up leading up to the invasion of Iraq and why Obama gets a free pass for continuing Bush's war policies.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:01 am

Parrotpaul wrote: I was taken aback, Dave. I never thought you to be a man who would go only halfway. You're usually exactling and a stickler for accuracy. I'm sure you don't shine half your shoes.
GOODave wrote:Wow, really myopic even for you, Paul.

I don't recall indicating that was the only book I read on my vacation, the only source of information I consumed, or the only philosophy I considered.

You just made all that up so you could have the last word.

OOPS, I guess I just blew that, didn't I!

:lol:
Methinks you completely missed the meaning of my comment.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:14 am

MDDad wrote:
I'm not sure I'd bother with the Maxwell book.

MDD
It was given me by a friend so, ahem, on "name recognition" :wink: alone, I should at least review it...

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 am

Parrotpaul wrote:
Methinks you completely missed the meaning of my comment.
Always possible.

I took you to mean you thought I was only reading conservative books and not getting the whole story by intermingling a more liberal viewpoint in my reading.

So what then did you mean?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:52 am

GOODave wrote:
Always possible.

I took you to mean you thought I was only reading conservative books and not getting the whole story by intermingling a more liberal viewpoint in my reading.

So what then did you mean?
You only gave half the title to the book.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:08 am

Parrotpaul wrote: You only gave half the title to the book.
...and in Paul World, I did that so as to delude you (or anyone).

You're wrong, Paul.

There was no sinister reasoning. I assumed anyone seeing the title who did not know it was a conservative perspective, would come into that knowledge when they saw by whom it was written.

I'm sorry you thought I was trying to trick you.