Companies continue to leave California

Red

Re: Companies continue to leave California

Postby Red » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 am

oceanvue wrote:ome > Postcards > Archives > 2011 > June > 20 > Entry

This was in the Austin paper today along with a number of other articles touting the gains from the business friendly environment here. Kind of interesting

Amazon negotiating for sales-tax exemption in trade for 5,000 new Texas jobs
By Barry Harrell | Monday, June 20, 2011, 10:55 AM

Amazon.com is negotiating a deal with Texas officials that would see the online retail giant promise to bring more than 5,000 jobs and $300 million in capital investments to the state over the next three years - if in exchange lawmakers will grant Amazon a 4 1/2-year exemption from collecting tax on online sales, according to documents obtained by the American-Statesman.
The proposed deal would be implemented by attaching it to Senate Bill 1, the wide-ranging fiscal matters bill being debated in the Legislature’s special session. SB 1 is a must-pass measure essential to balancing the state’s 2012-13 budget.
A draft copy of the conference committee report that would add the language to SB 1 was obtained by the American-Statesman. Mark Miner, spokesman for Gov. Rick Perry, confirmed Monday that the governor’s office has seen the draft copy of the proposed legislative language.
“The governor is always working to create jobs in Texas, and he supports any kind of legislation that would accomplish that goal,” Miner said. “His focus has always been on the Texas economy and creating jobs in this state. He’s always talking to companies in Texas that want to expand, or companies outside of Texas who might want to locate here.”
The proposal is similar to one Amazon recently struck with South Carolina, where that state’s legislators approved a 4½-year exemption on collecting sales tax in exchange for Amazon creating at least 2,000 jobs and investing at least $125 million through the end of 2013.
The proposal is the latest twist in Texas’ standoff with the world’s largest online retailer over the collection of online sales tax. The state stepped into the national debate over that issue last September, when Comptroller Susan Combs sent Amazon a notice that it owed $269 million in sales taxes it failed to collect on Texas transactions from 2005 to 2009.
Combs has said Amazon is required to collect sales taxes on Texas transactions because it has a distribution center in Irving, constituting a physical presence in the state.
Under a 1992 U.S. Supreme Court decision, if a company has a physical presence in a state, it can potentially be required to collect sales tax there, legal experts say.
Seattle-based Amazon, which had $34 billion in sales in 2010, has consistently opposed collecting tax on its online sales. That has drawn fire from state governments facing budget shortfalls and from traditional retailers, who say online sellers essentially give customers an automatic discount when they don’t collect taxes.
Combs has estimated the state loses $600 million a year from untaxed online sales.
Perry, however, has criticized Combs for her pursuit of Amazon, and said in February that he hoped legislators would do something to keep Amazon from pulling up stakes.
Instead, the Legislature to this point has gone in a different direction.
During the regular session, both the House and Senate overwhelmingly passed a measure by Rep. John Otto, R-Dayton, that aimed to tighten the state’s rules on when online businesses such as Amazon must collect sales tax. That bill, House Bill 2403, sought to more clearly define what constitutes physical presence in the state, spelling out that a distribution center or warehouse in the state qualifies, as does having a “substantial ownership interest” in a subsidiary operating in the state.
Perry vetoed that measure, but the bill’s identical language was attached to SB 1. An amendment filed by Rep. Bill Zedler, R-Arlington, to strip the language from SB 1 was defeated in the House on June 9.

OV, is there room in Austin for me?
Last edited by Red on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:55 am

In Texas it seems there's a governor and state legislature willing to work with business to create jobs.
The biggest complaints of companies leaving California are too much taxes and too many regulations.
So what do our geni-asses in Sacro do?? Add more taxes and make more regulations..
Let's a have a minute of silence for the late great state of California...
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am

Texas can get creative when they want to make the "sell"

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:34 am

Troglodyte wrote:In Texas it seems there's a governor and state legislature willing to work with business to create jobs.
The biggest complaints of companies leaving California are too much taxes and too many regulations.
So what do our geni-asses in Sacro do?? Add more taxes and make more regulations..
Let's a have a minute of silence for the late great state of California...

The TX miracle ain't all that. The majority of middle class jobs have been created in the public sector. The majority of the private sector jobs created have been minimum wage.

TX is a great place to get work if you're looking for a life of poverty.

The rest of Perry's fiscal policy is a mess given that TX currently enjoys a $29B state deficit that was partially offset by Stimulus Funds that Perry was once upon a time claiming was rationale for TX to secede.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:17 am

Wabash wrote:The TX miracle ain't all that. The majority of middle class jobs have been created in the public sector. The majority of the private sector jobs created have been minimum wage.

TX is a great place to get work if you're looking for a life of poverty.

The rest of Perry's fiscal policy is a mess given that TX currently enjoys a $29B state deficit that was partially offset by Stimulus Funds that Perry was once upon a time claiming was rationale for TX to secede.

I'd like to see a credible link to that BS.. Even if half true it is a lot better than the job picture here... I've got my shovel ready for your attempt at rebuttal..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:22 am

Troglodyte wrote:I'd like to see a credible link to that BS.. Even if half true it is a lot better than the job picture here... I've got my shovel ready for your attempt at rebuttal..

Then I suggest you look in places other than Fox News.

Here you go. A quick perusal will verify my claim that TX has the highest percentage of minimum wage workers. The only BS being shoveled is by the GOP and their propaganda outlet (FNC) who hope their followers are too stupid to actually believe that Perry's fiscal policy is anything remotely resembling something remarkable.

Must be why he wears cowboy boots with a suit.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:26 pm

Don't know about the rest of Texas but Austin is clearly doing better economically than Orange Co.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:59 pm

oceanvue wrote:Don't know about the rest of Texas but Austin is clearly doing better economically than Orange Co.

OC has the lowest unemployment rate in CA. Can Austin break off from the rest of the state?

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Wabash wrote:OC has the lowest unemployment rate in CA. Can Austin break off from the rest of the state?

Does anyone get what he's saying?

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:08 pm

oceanvue wrote:

Does anyone get what he's saying?
No, he does it on purpose. He wouldn't dare express himself so that he is understood because then no one would pay attention to what he has to say. As long as he creates mystery, he can stay in the game.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Brooke wrote: No, he does it on purpose. He wouldn't dare express himself so that he is understood because then no one would pay attention to what he has to say. As long as he creates mystery, he can stay in the game.

old people make me sad

Wiley

Postby Wiley » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:02 pm

oceanvue wrote:

old people make me sad
He's not old but he is suffering from cognitive dissonance developed from all the years of inhaling the smoke he blows.
[center]"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama[/center]

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Brooke wrote:No, he does it on purpose. He wouldn't dare express himself so that he is understood because then no one would pay attention to what he has to say. As long as he creates mystery, he can stay in the game.

I'll give your opinion the same value it costs.
Attachments
Lucy Psychiatrist.png
Lucy Psychiatrist.png (125.73 KiB) Viewed 364 times

Wiley

Postby Wiley » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:12 pm

One of the biggest draws to Texas is the business friendly invironment.
[center]"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama[/center]

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:08 am

Wiley wrote:One of the biggest draws to Texas is the business friendly invironment.

They have the largest percent of minimum wage employment and what is fast becoming the largest state budget deficit.

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:07 am

Wabash wrote:They have the largest percent of minimum wage employment and what is fast becoming the largest state budget deficit.

the economy here is WAY WAY better and that doesn't take into effect the round 2 of the housing debacle we're (I'm a California homeowner) are about to go through when QE2 expires. I'm not sure what you're point is about minimum wage is? Texas has no state tax (add 10% on to the minimum) and a much lower housing and cost of living (add another 40%) and you see mostly college and high school students working around. My high school son is making $7.25 an hour and the cost of living here is equivalent to what Ca. was in the early 80's when the minimum wage was $2.30

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:46 am

oceanvue wrote:the economy here is WAY WAY better and that doesn't take into effect the round 2 of the housing debacle we're (I'm a California homeowner) are about to go through when QE2 expires. I'm not sure what you're point is about minimum wage is? Texas has no state tax (add 10% on to the minimum) and a much lower housing and cost of living (add another 40%) and you see mostly college and high school students working around. My high school son is making $7.25 an hour and the cost of living here is equivalent to what Ca. was in the early 80's when the minimum wage was $2.30

I'm hoping more people move there. The sooner the better.

Red

Postby Red » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:54 am

Wabash wrote:I'm hoping more people move there. The sooner the better.

I object to this witness being called at this time. We've been given no prior notice he would testify. No discovery of any tests he's conducted or reports he's prepared. And as the court is aware, the defense is entitled to advance notice of all witness who will testify, particularly those who will give scientific evidence, so that we can properly prepare for cross-examination, as well as give the defense an opportunity to have his reports reviewed by a defense expert, who might then be in a position to contradict the veracity of his conclusions.

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:05 am

Wabash wrote:I'm hoping more people move there. The sooner the better.

so noted just not my renters

Return to “The Economy”