Not enough workers in USA to fill Manufacturing Jobs

tLIB

Not enough workers in USA to fill Manufacturing Jobs

Postby tLIB » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:25 pm

There are 600,000 job openings in the manufacturing sector, according to a recent report, but not enough qualified workers.

The white paper addresses a manufacturing education void where 600,000 jobs are currently unfilled due to a shortage of properly trained workers. By 2015, that number is projected to reach 3 million openings. The report calls on all stakeholders, including educators and industry, to work together to close this gap through:

1. Attracting more students into manufacturing
2. Articulating a standard core of manufacturing knowledge
3. Improving the consistency and quality of manufacturing education
4. Integrating manufacturing topics into Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education
5. Developing faculty that deliver a world-class manufacturing education
6. Strategically deploying resources to accomplish these goals

http://roboticstomorrow.com/news/2012/0 ... gap-/20817

Notorious

Re: Not enough workers in USA to fill Manufacturing Jobs

Postby Notorious » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:59 pm

There has been a stigma placed on blue collar workers in this country especially for the young.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

tLIB

Postby tLIB » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:02 pm

True. I would like to see what Brooke says about this. She talks about U.S. jobs and manufacturing frequently.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:11 am

She'll report as being a lie perpetrated by PC liberals who are basically borrish and stupid....dazed and confused, treasonous to our county, and openly and flagrantly gay and enjoying it.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:20 am

Paul - you forgot to add a slam to Obama

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:23 am

(I just had a post "edited" for these types of remarks, but then I'm not one of Vile's buddies)

The problem of not enpugh qualified workeers lies at the feet of the 'progressive' education system.
Shoving students out the back door without even a pretense of teaching them anything got us to this point. Worrying about the kids "self esteem" and teaching them what to think instead of how to think is one part of the problem. The teacher's unions campaigns against evaluations, and 'tenure' preventing eliminating below average and bad teachers to remain in classrooms is another. The 'educators are quick to blame the parent's lack of 'involvement', but I have personnally witnessed the school's bureaucratic stance against "Interfering with our teaching methods".
You may be right about the bias against what is considered "blue collar" jobs, but a full 75% of graduates end up in those positions. (Now let's hear the demand for "facts" and documentation. A simple look around would bear that out). A few states have technical and vocational high schools. I graduated from one in New York (Brooklyn Tech). This gave me a leg up in the job's market, and renewed my interest in really learning. I was getting practical use of most of the subjects I learned in grade school, and gained a new respect for the 3Rs. The "general education' taught today doesn't prepare our kids for the job market and does a very poor job of preparing our kids for any advanced education.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

tLIB

Postby tLIB » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Trog, I agree with you about vocational schools. I also agree there is a problem with the education system. I want more teachers and would like to see the school-day extended through 5 pm. Have them do their homework with the help of TAs from three to five.

I think even more importantly is that kids should want to learn these things. Attend community college. Go further.

afan95

Postby afan95 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Well when they started taking woodworking and other trade classes out of school because of budget cuts and only emphasized those classes that would get you into college, this is what happened. There are people out there with college degrees making $45K per year and there are people out there with trade school certificates making $80K.

Noto's right, blue collar has a stigma to it. But blue collar isn't what it used to be either. Mfg plants don't run on physical power and tool and die machinery only. Most of it's computerized and the worker has to learn how to run it, analyze what the problems are when it isn't working, and figure out what systems can be put in place when the computer generated program starts acting up. This requires the worker to think and that's what they don't teach in school anymore.

And they don't teach that for the student preparing for the mfg world or the college world. Just ask many college professors.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:05 pm

And a concluding point to your above post would be..........? When was the last time you or one of your children was a public school student...I'm just curious where your conclusion about schools not teaching critical thinking skills found its wellsprings?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:And a concluding point to your above post would be..........? When was the last time you or one of your children was a public school student...I'm just curious where your conclusion about schools not teaching critical thinking skills found its wellsprings?

You don't have to go to all that trouble, Paul.. Just read some of these posts right here.
If you need to go any further ask any HSer, grad, or anybody you might run into what a logical fallacy is. Be prepared for a whole bunch of blank stares. You can even give them some simple examples. Most would flunk that too. Whole political campaigns, and product advertizing depends on the population not being able to spot a twist in logic.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Wow....thanks for that load of generalizations, Trog. I'll make note to ask a few next week what a logical fallacy is. But for now, I'll have to depend on you for the data...what's a logical fallacy? Do you have a couple examples for those on the board you mentioned who have no idea what a logical fallacy is. Thanks. :D

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:37 pm

afan95 wrote:Well when they started taking woodworking and other trade classes out of school because of budget cuts and only emphasized those classes that would get you into college, this is what happened. There are people out there with college degrees making $45K per year and there are people out there with trade school certificates making $80K.

Noto's right, blue collar has a stigma to it. But blue collar isn't what it used to be either. Mfg plants don't run on physical power and tool and die machinery only. Most of it's computerized and the worker has to learn how to run it, analyze what the problems are when it isn't working, and figure out what systems can be put in place when the computer generated program starts acting up. This requires the worker to think and that's what they don't teach in school anymore.

And they don't teach that for the student preparing for the mfg world or the college world. Just ask many college professors.

'Tisn't only woodworking and auto mechanics. Brooklyn Tech went into hands on knowlege and information enabling a student to pass an employment interview for electrical technition architect, or a journeyman electrician exam ( for example).. A compainion school, Manual Arts< taught everything from plumbing through cosmology.. .

The progressive education system refuses to accept there are three separate classes of studfents out there.
Those who just want to get this whole boring thing over with, or can't absorb what is being taught.
Thise who are interested in a blue collar field, and can't manage to make straight As.
And those who want prepatory classes for college, or are shooting for a more technical career.
That facr messes with their idea that eveeryone is equal and responds to a cookie cutter education.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:Wow....thanks for that load of generalizations, Trog. I'll make note to ask a few next week what a logical fallacy is. But for now, I'll have to depend on you for the data...what's a logical fallacy? Do you have a couple examples for those on the board you mentioned who have no idea what a logical fallacy is. Thanks. :D

:lol: Nice try, Paul.. You're either too lazy, or afraid, to look the truth in the face by asking.
Or you're trying to set me up to get suspended for dropping dimes on my fellow posters.
You already know that asking a few simple questions will prove my point.

tLIB

Postby tLIB » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:30 pm

afan95 wrote: This requires the worker to think and that's what they don't teach in school anymore.

True. But we all learn a ton of stuff we will never use in our daily lives.

I also think it has to do with the individual. Teachers can't force kids to learn either. It cracks me up to hear people complain about the teachers. I tell my kids they need to take responsibility for their actions. They need to learn, not just be taught.

tLIB

Postby tLIB » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:48 pm

tLIB wrote:There are 600,000 job openings in the manufacturing sector, according to a recent report, but not enough qualified workers.

The white paper addresses a manufacturing education void where 600,000 jobs are currently unfilled due to a shortage of properly trained workers. By 2015, that number is projected to reach 3 million openings. The report calls on all stakeholders, including educators and industry, to work together to close this gap through:

1. Attracting more students into manufacturing
2. Articulating a standard core of manufacturing knowledge
3. Improving the consistency and quality of manufacturing education
4. Integrating manufacturing topics into Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education
5. Developing faculty that deliver a world-class manufacturing education
6. Strategically deploying resources to accomplish these goals

http://roboticstomorrow.com/news/2012/0 ... gap-/20817

I am still interested in Brooke's thoughts on the study.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:31 am

tLIB wrote:
I am still interested in Brooke's thoughts on the study.

Where is the evidence that there are 600,000 jobs that are unfilled? I find that very hard to believe considering 23 million Americans are unemployed.

I suspect this is another propaganda campaign from big business and their lobbyists to convince the American people that our workers aren't qualified to hold jobs in certain sectors. Then folks like Trog will repeat it over and over until he's convinced others who will spread it around until it is perceived as fact in order to continue bringing in cheap labor from overseas to take American jobs.

Although I do think more people should go into these fields.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:34 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Wow....thanks for that load of generalizations, Trog. I'll make note to ask a few next week what a logical fallacy is. But for now, I'll have to depend on you for the data...what's a logical fallacy? Do you have a couple examples for those on the board you mentioned who have no idea what a logical fallacy is. Thanks. :D

I have a better idea, why don't you look around the board and find logical fallacies in posters' arguments and create a new thread pointing them out and identifying them as to what kind of logical fallacies they are. Then we can all join in and discuss whether or not we think you are correct.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:44 am

Why don't you do that?

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:49 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Why don't you do that?

I think it is more fitting that you do it. You brought it up hoping to embarrass Trog and clearly considering your knowledge superior. So, why not show us? And it will be a learning opportunity for everyone as we discuss the different examples.

It will be great to focus attention on some of the bogus arguments that are intended to intimidate posters by the more aggressive and unethical folks around here. Who knows it may even produce a higher standard eventually. :D

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:51 am

Which unethical folks? People on here are unethical...I thought they all got banned? :shrug:

You start the thread...there would be far more active participation....I bore people...you fire them up...you old hottie, you.

Return to “The Economy”