Not enough workers in USA to fill Manufacturing Jobs

tLIB

Re: Not enough workers in USA to fill Manufacturing Jobs

Postby tLIB » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:59 am

Brooke wrote: Where is the evidence that there are 600,000 jobs that are unfilled? I find that very hard to believe considering 23 million Americans are unemployed.

Thanks for chiming-in Brooke. Perhaps the raw data would be helpful.

Rather than using automated machines, some manufacturing requires the use of mills, lathes, etc. They need to be able to measure things in the 3-D world. Maybe they will need to weld, turn wrenches etc. I suspect those are the types of jobs that need to be filled, not the ones where a person sits in front of an automated machine.

I looked for the study online, but I don't have enough time to dig around. Here is the link to the Society of Manufacturing Engineers:

http://www.sme.org/

afan95

Postby afan95 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:53 am

Parrotpaul wrote:And a concluding point to your above post would be..........? When was the last time you or one of your children was a public school student...I'm just curious where your conclusion about schools not teaching critical thinking skills found its wellsprings?

How about when the young products of any school or university come in the office space I occupy eager to start their new job and expect that all they have to do is push the button on the computer for the answer. Then if the answer doesn't match the expected result they have no clue how to figure things out because they don't know how to critically analyze what the components of the result are because they've been taught all along that the computer will do all the work for them...just push the button.

BTW, I went to public school when they did teach critical teaching skills, probably because they didn't have computers that were there for me to just push the button to get the "answer" without ever having to do any critical thinking.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

barstow wiz

Postby barstow wiz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:17 am

afan95 wrote:How about when the young products of any school or university come in the office space I occupy eager to start their new job and expect that all they have to do is push the button on the computer for the answer. Then if the answer doesn't match the expected result they have no clue how to figure things out because they don't know how to critically analyze what the components of the result are because they've been taught all along that the computer will do all the work for them...just push the button.

BTW, I went to public school when they did teach critical teaching skills, probably because they didn't have computers that were there for me to just push the button to get the "answer" without ever having to do any critical thinking.

your response demonstrates a lack of knowledge about computers.
:)

afan95

Postby afan95 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:21 am

barstow wiz wrote:your response demonstrates a lack of knowledge about computers.

I know what computers do. I also know what a lot of people think computers do. Therein lies the issue.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:05 pm

afan95 wrote:How about when the young products of any school or university come in the office space I occupy eager to start their new job and expect that all they have to do is push the button on the computer for the answer. Then if the answer doesn't match the expected result they have no clue how to figure things out because they don't know how to critically analyze what the components of the result are because they've been taught all along that the computer will do all the work for them...just push the button.

The alternative to this is not teaching with computers and therefore young workers being even further behind when it comes to entry level positions.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

barstow wiz

Postby barstow wiz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:41 pm

afan95 wrote:I know what computers do. I also know what a lot of people think computers do. Therein lies the issue.

what do computers "do?"

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Notorious wrote:The alternative to this is not teaching with computers and therefore young workers being even further behind when it comes to entry level positions.

You've gotta learn to crawl before you walk. You.ve got to see how it works first.
Kinda hard to enter "If Bob had 4 apples, and joe had 6, but Mary took one from Bob. How many apples did they all have" into a computer. Besides, if the power died they couldn't even figure ouit what they had.
Learning basic math with a paper and pencil works every time, and learning the times tables lasts a lifetime.

Reminds me of the $millions NASA spent developing a pen that would work in zero gravity. The Russians solve that problem by using a pencil. :wink: A computer can't teach you to think, and it sure will mess you up if you don't.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

barstow wiz

Postby barstow wiz » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:47 am

buncha old farts that don't understand computers...i work with several of em! :shrug:

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:17 am

Troglodyte wrote:

That's what batteries are for. :wink:

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:59 am

SoMelo wrote:
That's what batteries are for. :wink:

Please, melo...don't harsh Trog's dream world...."Post WWII...sixty years of the 1950s unhindered by progress."
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:56 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Please, melo...don't harsh Trog's dream world...."Post WWII...sixty years of the 1950s unhindered by progress."

So you're all for abandoning teaching math in gradeschool and going directly to calculators and computers?
This another one of the "progressive' education system's ideas? Eliminate the 3 Rs, one R at a time?
No sense in cluttering up the kids minds with "useless" stuff. Teachers will tell them everthing they need to know. :puke:

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:06 am

Meanwhile, back on the subject...

Surprise dip in US jobless rate
Published: Bangkok Post 5/10/2012 at 09:09 PM Online news: News
http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... bless-rate

The US jobless rate sank to 7.8% in September, surprising many who expected it to remain flat at 8.1%, the Labor Department said on Friday. The unemployment figure was the lowest since President Barack Obama took office in January 2009.

Analysts said the fall in the unemployment rate would provide the incumbent with a chance to talk about an improving economy and refocus his campaign after his poor debate performance this week against Republican Mitt Romney.
The unemployment rate had remained at 8% or higher since February 2009, the longest stretch since monthly jobless figures were first compiled in 1948.

The US economy generated only 114,000 new jobs last month, but upward revisions to earlier data helped bring the overall unemployment rate down.
The number of new jobs in August was revised up to 142,000 from 96,000 reported earlier.

The private sector, which has been adding jobs since March 2010, grew by 104,000 workers. Governments, where cuts have been a drag on the recovery, added 10,000 jobs in September.
Manufacturing, one of the bright spots that President Obama has showcased throughout his re-election campaign, shed 16,000 jobs after losing a revised 22,000 in August, and construction jobs grew by 5,000. The number of temporary jobs, a harbinger of future growth, fell by 2,000.

The unemployment rate dropped even though the number of people in the labour force, including those looking for work, increased.

No political massaging to be seen here, folks.. Move along and sample the Kool Aid.

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:05 am

Troglodyte wrote:You've gotta learn to crawl before you walk. You.ve got to see how it works first.
Kinda hard to enter "If Bob had 4 apples, and joe had 6, but Mary took one from Bob. How many apples did they all have" into a computer. Besides, if the power died they couldn't even figure ouit what they had.
Learning basic math with a paper and pencil works every time, and learning the times tables lasts a lifetime.

Reminds me of the $millions NASA spent developing a pen that would work in zero gravity. The Russians solve that problem by using a pencil. :wink: A computer can't teach you to think, and it sure will mess you up if you don't.

So I'm guessing you're on the same chain email list that SLK is because that pen thing has always been false. If anything, it shows how the American private sector never ceases to create a business even when one is not needed.

I think your example should reflect the real world problem a little more. That would be like me seeing saying all old people refuse to embrace technology and advancement and would rather be listening to music on victrolas than iPods.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:31 am

I love most technology.. Can't quite see the sense in texting and tweeting though.
A phone call is more personal, direct, and gets the job done quicker.

All these "new fangled" machines are great, but what are we gonna do when no one knows how they operate, or how to operate without them?? I had to laugh last week. I popped into the local liquor store to get my wife some Lotto tickets and me a jug of Johnny Walker's finest. The power went out, and everything came to a dead stand still. The clerk couldn't scan anything, couldn't make change, nothing. Business was dead in the water because there was no provision for a backup system (hand writen)... I noticed the owner had an order pad next to the register the next time I went in. When I asked Inron if the clerk knew how to use them, he gave a disgusted shrug of his shoulders. --:--

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:38 am

Troglodyte wrote:I love most technology.. Can't quite see the sense in texting and tweeting though.
A phone call is more personal, direct, and gets the job done quicker.

All these "new fangled" machines are great, but what arte we gonna do when no one knows how they operate, or how to operate without them?? I had to laugh last week. I popped into the local liquor store to get my wife some Lotto tickets and me a jug of Johnny Walker's finest. The power went out, and everything came to a dead stand still. The clerk couldn't scan anything, couldn't make change, nothing. Business was dead in the water because there was no provision for a backup system (hand writen)... I noticed the owner had an orrder pad next to the register the next time I went in. When I asked Inron if the cleark knew how to use them, he gave a disgusted shrug of his shoulders. --:--

1. Good call on the Johnny Walker, which label do you usually get and have you ever had a bottle of blue label?
2. I would also say that is more a reflection of his training than the kid's ability. If the owner never trained him how to do something then how is it the employee's fault exactly?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:44 am

The liquor store owner must have been a former teacher who couldn't make it in the public sector.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 am

Notorious wrote:1. Good call on the Johnny Walker, which label do you usually get and have you ever had a bottle of blue label?
2. I would also say that is more a reflection of his training than the kid's ability. If the owner never trained him how to do something then how is it the employee's fault exactly?

Had a bottle of the Bluie label back in June. My friend bought it for me for helping him drive his RV bus to Alaska. (great trip).. Anyway, for the price I didn't get any more mellow than my usual Johnny Black. :wink:

You mean the owner would have to teach the clerk how to write, total it up, and add the tax?? What do they teach the kids in school???

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:48 am

Parrotpaul wrote:The liquor store owner must have been a former teacher who couldn't make it in the public sector.

Guess there's hope for you yet then, Paul.... :giggle:

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:54 am

Troglodyte wrote:Had a bottle of the Bluie label back in June. My friend bought it for me for helping him drive his RV bus to Alaska. (great trip).. Anyway, for the price I didn't get any more mellow than my usual Johnny Black. :wink:

You mean the owner would have to teach the clerk how to write, total it up, and add the tax?? What do they teach the kids in school???

If I were in that situation and was not told how to handle it prior, I would not sell anything until given the okay by the manager. Because unfortunately you can get fired if you make an honest wrong choice especially if your boss is an idiot.

I don't know the liquor store, but when our power went out at the retail chain I worked at we were not allowed to sell anything.

Regardless of calculating anything, the company policy was not allowing anyone to selling anything without using the computer system, for fear of fraud/theft/calculating inventory (I think inventory is their biggest concern).

That's how I felt the few times I've had Blue label.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:20 am

Troglodyte wrote:Guess there's hope for you yet then, Paul.... :giggle:

Me? I did OK in the public sector. I retired in 1996. I was 52.

Return to “The Economy”