Wil the Dow set a new high today?

Parrotpaul

Wil the Dow set a new high today?

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:10 am

OK...the stock market is within 37 points of setting an all-time high. This morning's futures indicate the high set in 2007 will be eclipsed early today, but will it hold up until the end of the day, and will the equities markets continue to flourish and climb? What happens when Bernake decides to allow interest rates to rise? Will stocks then be as attractive as they are now? Any predictions for the remainder of the year? Any suggestions?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

SLK230

Re: Wil the Dow set a new high today?

Post by SLK230 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:16 am

Parrotpaul wrote:OK...the stock market is within 37 points of setting an all-time high. This morning's futures indicate the high set in 2007 will be eclipsed early today, but will it hold up until the end of the day, and will the equities markets continue to flourish and climb? What happens when Bernake decides to allow interest rates to rise? Will stocks then be as attractive as they are now? Any predictions for the remainder of the year? Any suggestions?
As long as Ben continues to print money the market will go up, after that it will decline.
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:29 am

SLK230 wrote:
As long as Ben continues to print money the market will go up, after that it will decline.
Do you believe it is a good thing or bad thing given that inflation is still very low?

Bernanke is considered one of the foremost experts on the Great Depression. He made it clear the Fed would not repeat the same mistakes (as they did in 1929) that only made the Depression worse. So far it seems to have worked.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 am

The Dow is pretty much at its high for the day and for its lifetime thus far, and it is after the lunch hour on the east coast...the trend is still up. Interesting...exciting....profitable. :thumbsup:

Looks like a 50/50 cholesterol burger at Slater's 50/50 in Lake Forest and a couple brewskis are in order to celebrate...let's see what 1PM brings.....up 155 as I type....NASDAQ up 44+
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:47 am

Parrotpaul wrote:The Dow is pretty much at its high for the day and for its lifetime thus far, and it is after the lunch hour on the east coast...the trend is still up. Interesting...exciting....profitable. :thumbsup:

Looks like a 50/50 cholesterol burger at Slater's 50/50 in Lake Forest and a couple brewskis are in order to celebrate...let's see what 1PM brings.....up 155 as I type....NASDAQ up 44+
I'm sure the conservatives on this board will find a way to turn this into a negative that can be blamed on Obama.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Maybe Congress should take longer and more frequent vacations. Nothing coming out of DC is good for equities. Maybe they can take Maria Bartiromo with them....the most annoying screeching lisp in business news.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Wabash wrote:I'm sure the conservatives on this board will find a way to turn this into a negative that can be blamed on Obama.
Or they will give credit to the GOP.
After all, you pointed to the GOP when the DOW went south in 2011...
http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... 08#p345008
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 pm

18echo wrote: Or they will give credit to the GOP.
After all, you pointed to the GOP when the DOW went south in 2011...
http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... 08#p345008
Maybe. Although the GOP likes to blame the Dems since (according to the GOP) the Dems control 2/3rds of the government. Which of course isn't true. The GOP control half the legislative branch and all of the judicial branch. I'm not sure how that works in determining the level of control in fractions.

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Wabash wrote: I'm sure the conservatives on this board will find a way to turn this into a negative that can be blamed on Obama.
No, we'll point out that you never disappoint to go there. Shut up already.

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:The Dow is pretty much at its high for the day and for its lifetime thus far, and it is after the lunch hour on the east coast...the trend is still up. Interesting...exciting....profitable. :thumbsup:

Should I move more out of bonds into stocks? Tough call.

kramer

Post by kramer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Wabash wrote: I'm sure the conservatives on this board will find a way to turn this into a negative that can be blamed on Obama.

How about comparing the dismal state of the economy today vs the last time the DOW was this high?...
"Mission Accomplished" - With CNBC now lost for countdown-able targets (though 20,000 is so close), we leave it to none other than Jim Cramer, quoting Stanley Druckenmiller, to sum up where we stand (oh and the following list of remarkable then-and-now macro, micro, and market variables), namely that "we all know it's going to end badly, but in the meantime we can make some money" - ZH translation: "just make sure to sell ahead of everyone else", just like everyone sold ahead of everyone else on October 11th 2007, the last time stocks were here...

Dow Jones Industrial Average: Then 14164.5; Now 14164.5
Regular Gas Price: Then $2.75; Now $3.73
GDP Growth: Then +2.5%; Now +1.6%
Americans Unemployed (in Labor Force): Then 6.7 million; Now 13.2 million
Americans On Food Stamps: Then 26.9 million; Now 47.69 million
Size of Fed's Balance Sheet: Then $0.89 trillion; Now $3.01 trillion
US Debt as a Percentage of GDP: Then ~38%; Now 74.2%
US Deficit (LTM): Then $97 billion; Now $975.6 billion
Total US Debt Oustanding: Then $9.008 trillion; Now $16.43 trillion
US Household Debt: Then $13.5 trillion; Now 12.87 trillion
Labor Force Particpation Rate: Then 65.8%; Now 63.6%
Consumer Confidence: Then 99.5; Now 69.6
S&P Rating of the US: Then AAA; Now AA+
VIX: Then 17.5%; Now 14%
10 Year Treasury Yield: Then 4.64%; Now 1.89%
USDJPY: Then 117; Now 93
EURUSD: Then 1.4145; Now 1.3050
Gold: Then $748; Now $1583
NYSE Average LTM Volume (per day): Then 1.3 billion shares; Now 545 million shares

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-0 ... w-was-here
The high levels of the DOW are a facade. Too bad most people aren't aware of the fact that its high from the world's central banks printing trillions of dollars over the last 4 years.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm

kramer wrote: How about comparing the dismal state of the economy today vs the last time the DOW was this high?...
Just goes to show how poor an economy was inherited by Obama after Bush's ineptitude.

Conservatives keep hoping folks forget and pretend the Bush years never happened.

kramer

Post by kramer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Wabash wrote: Just goes to show how poor an economy was inherited by Obama after Bush's ineptitude.

Conservatives keep hoping folks forget and pretend the Bush years never happened.
What did Clinton leave Bush?

- A declining GDP.
- A popping NASDAQ bubble.
- The beginnings of the largest ever housing bubble in the history of the US.
- The beginnings of a ten year $2.4 trillion low- and moderate-income housing plan for something like 24 million families.
- Banks who would now take loans from people with shaky income or credit scores.
- He (and so did the GOP) gave China PNTR which resulted in the largest ever drop in manufacturing jobs in our history. The negative effects of this were masked by people using equity in their house from Clinton's housing bubble.
- He gave out more top secret nuclear weapons secrets than all the past presidents combined and by several times as much.
- He possible dropped the ball on 911 but we'll never know because his National Security Advisor was caught stealing and destroying 911 related documents from the National Archives prior to the 911 commission.

It's amazing that Bush was able to keep the economy as good as it was. Too bad Clinton's housing bubble started this economic mess we're still in.
-
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:43 pm

kramer wrote:
What did Clinton leave Bush?
Clinton handed off a cakewalk compared to what Bush handed Obama.

Conservatives demand others take personal responsibility until something of theirs goes wrong, then it is someone else's responsibility.

Despite your attempts to defend Bush, conservatives run and hide from him. He is still toxic to their already declining brand.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Wabash wrote:Conservatives demand others take personal responsibility until something of theirs goes wrong, then it is someone else's responsibility.
Isn't that kind of what you're doing now?
Blaming everything you don't like about 4+ years of Obama's administration on someone else?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:51 pm

18echo wrote: Isn't that kind of what you're doing now?
Blaming everything you don't like about 4+ years of Obama's administration on someone else?
Have conservatives ever accepted responsibility for the disaster they handed Obama?

Do liberals demand personal responsibility like conservatives?

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Wabash wrote: Have conservatives ever accepted responsibility for the disaster they handed Obama?
Doesn't really answer the question...

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:59 pm

Wabash wrote:Do liberals demand personal responsibility like conservatives?
I don't know about other liberals, but it looks like that is exactly what you are doing here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 pm

18echo wrote: I don't know about other liberals, but it looks like that is exactly what you are doing here.
18echo wrote: Doesn't really answer the question...
I agree. I didn't intend to answer the question. I intended to point out the difference between what conservatives demand in others and how they act when confronted with similar circumstances.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Wabash wrote:I agree. I didn't intend to answer the question. I intended to point out the difference between what conservatives demand in others and how they act when confronted with similar circumstances.
So, you don't really blame Bush, you think that Obama is actually responsible for his own economy at this point, and you're just pretending to absolve Obama and blame Bush in order demonstrate this similar trait in conservatives?