sbayhills

Re: Wil the Dow set a new high today?

Post by sbayhills » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Careful, he's easily confused.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:34 am

sbayhills wrote:
Should I move more out of bonds into stocks? Tough call.
Equities are the only money-making game in town right now...but be very careful...unless you are adding to well-established holdings, I'd look at high yielding utilities (Westar..WR and New Jersey Power..PEG..for instance) and large cap high dividend players like ATT and Verizon for "reasonable" growth and high dividends...wireless isn't going away soon, and these two are leading the way (add in Crown Castle International...CCI for some real potential growth). Real estate income funds can be a fine way to preserve capital and get +5% dividends and some growth....long-term stuff and a pretty safe place to park money. I also like the tax free municipal bond funds....NAVs are holding, and interest rates are around 3.5%, but I don't know for how lobng before they reverse (interest payouts would rise with a dip)...again...watch interest rate changes. REITS if you are daring Two Harbors (TWO) has been a nice ride since last summer, and it just made another leg up. Local builder, Tri Pointe Homes went public a month ago. It's an experienced upscale builder and management team with properties in Colorado and CA, and the new housing building markets look pretty good.... entry level price right now...18+. Good luck....market just opened...it's up 45. Hang on.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:55 am

18echo wrote: So, you don't really blame Bush, you think that Obama is actually responsible for his own economy at this point, and you're just pretending to absolve Obama and blame Bush in order demonstrate this similar trait in conservatives?
I do blame Bush. I blame conservatives for demanding accountability from Obama they never accept for themselves. Until then I have no problem with Obama continuing to blame the previous administration. When a president leaves office, he doesn't take his policies with him and his successor doesn't start from scratch. Bush handed off a disaster and conservatives are trying to run from that reality at light speed. Hence all the whining about Obama with claims of scapegoating.

Wouldn't you agree? Or do you believe conservatives have accepted responsibility for the disaster they handed off in Jan. 2009?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:08 am

Wabash wrote: I do blame Bush. I blame conservatives for demanding accountability from Obama they never accept for themselves. Until then I have no problem with Obama continuing to blame the previous administration. When a president leaves office, he doesn't take his policies with him and his successor doesn't start from scratch. Bush handed off a disaster and conservatives are trying to run from that reality at light speed. Hence all the whining about Obama with claims of scapegoating.
So it's wrong when conservatives do it, but ok when you do it?
And you don't see the the irony in that?

I'm curious though, if "conservatives" were to suddenly announce that Bush handed off a bad economy as you require, would you then hold Obama responsible for his current administration?
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:18 am

18echo wrote:So it's wrong when conservatives do it, but ok when you do it?
You're allowed your opinion. I don't see it that way.
18echo wrote:I'm curious though, if "conservatives" were to suddenly announce that Bush handed off a bad economy as you require, would you then hold Obama responsible for his current administration?
I'll worry about that when it happens.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

kramer

Post by kramer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 am

Wabash wrote:Clinton handed off a cakewalk compared to what Bush handed Obama.
That's true. And it's also true that many of the reasons for Bush handing off a worse economy were because of Clinton's policies.

Wabash wrote:Despite your attempts to defend Bush,
Not defending him, just using the opportunity to bash Clinton with historical facts.

Wabash wrote: conservatives run and hide from him. He is still toxic to their already declining brand.
He was toxic to me around 2002-2003
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:18 am

kramer wrote: That's true. And it's also true that many of the reasons for Bush handing off a worse economy were because of Clinton's policies.
If that were the case you just proved that Bush was inept since he did nothing to correct those policies.
kramer wrote:Not defending him, just using the opportunity to bash Clinton with historical facts.
Sorry, the buck stops with Bush if one believes in accountability.
kramer wrote:He was toxic to me around 2002-2003
Maybe. But conservatives still supported him for re-election.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 pm

18echo wrote:So it's wrong when conservatives do it, but ok when you do it?
Wabash wrote:You're allowed your opinion. I don't see it that way.
I'm just asking, if you find the conservative behavior of blaming others so loathsome, why do you do it all the time yourself?

And if you do it all the time yourself, are you really in a position to insist that others cease the same behavior?
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am

kramer wrote: That's true. And it's also true that many of the reasons for Bush handing off a worse economy were because of Clinton's policies.
Wabash wrote:If that were the case you just proved that Bush was inept since he did nothing to correct those policies.
Since when is it normal policy for a president to undo something a previous president has done? And how was Bush supposed to know Clinton's previous actions were going to result in this economic mess? And why didn't all the other democratic politicians and media experts in economics see the mistakes Clinton made and alert us to them?

kramer wrote:Not defending him, just using the opportunity to bash Clinton with historical facts.
Wabash wrote:Sorry, the buck stops with Bush if one believes in accountability.
Really? Then how come you (and Obama for that matter) were and still are always quick to blame the terrible economic recovery under Obama on Bush?

Is there a different standard for accountability when it comes to Republicans and Democrats?
ans.: Yes.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:37 am

kramer wrote:Since when is it normal policy for a president to undo something a previous president has done? And how was Bush supposed to know Clinton's previous actions were going to result in this economic mess? And why didn't all the other democratic politicians and media experts in economics see the mistakes Clinton made and alert us to them?
When he (or she) believes it is injurious to the nation. It's been done frequently in our nation's history. You should read up on this issue, it's a fascinating topic.
kramer wrote:Really? Then how come you (and Obama for that matter) were and still are always quick to blame the terrible economic recovery under Obama on Bush?
Because many of the policies enacted by Bush are the cause of the current fiscal crisis. When a president leaves office, their policies don't go with them.
kramer wrote:Is there a different standard for accountability when it comes to Republicans and Democrats?
ans.: Yes.
Yes. The GOP likes to demand personal responsibility until something of theirs goes wrong. Then it is someone else's responsibility.

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 am

Market up big yesterday early then tanks. #-o Today starts way down and fights back. \:D/ Sell in May and go away. :lol: Wild week on Wall Street.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu May 23, 2013 11:40 am

Selling in May and going away would have cost many fortunes. It has been a terrific month...hell, a terrific past fifty months.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:39 pm

Look's like the bull is done.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:00 am

Tommy...even a bull needs a rest now and then. 2% interest rates aren't the end of the world. Be patient.

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:46 am

Tommy Tar wrote:Look's like the bull is done.
If this past run was considered a "bull market" then for once, the term "bull" fits like a glove.

This recent stock market rise didn't rise because of a strong economy or economic growth or because the BIS is dropping people off of the unemployment roles to lower the unemployment rate for Obama's failing economic policies..., it rose because most of the trillions of dollars that the world's central banks have been printing are ending up in the stock market.

Who has mostly benefits from this? The already rich 1%.

Think about this: we have economic policy by a democratic president that is making the rich 1% richer while his minions at the BIS are dropping people from the unemployment roles in order to lower the unemployment rate.

I wonder if the reason we don't hear much about these things is because of all of the close ties the Obama admin has to the media?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:49 am

kramer wrote: I wonder if the reason we don't hear much about these things is because of all of the close ties the Obama admin has to the media?
I wonder if you remember how conservatives were claiming the president's policies (when he took office in 2009) would ruin the economy.

Conservative economic predictions in the last five years have been 100% wrong.

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:13 am

Wabash wrote: I wonder if you remember how conservatives were claiming the president's policies (when he took office in 2009) would ruin the economy.
I don't. But you might be right, so enlighten me:
http://www.google.com
Wabash wrote:Conservative economic predictions in the last five years have been 100% wrong.
You mean where they predicted that the unemployment rate would be lower after a given time from the stimulus but the actual unemployment rate was higher?... Opps, that was Obama's wrong economic prediction.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 am

kramer wrote: I don't.
You're kidding, right?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:18 am

Fordama wrote: You're kidding, right?

Fordama
www.google.com

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:01 am

Kramer most of your stuff leans toward lame...even creepy sometimes, but that you wouldn't remember what was being paraded around by conservatives. You kind of flat-out lose this argument.

Off topic: Are you cool with the SCOTUS today ruling unanimously against making stem cells patentable?