Where there's a will there's a way

afan95

Where there's a will there's a way

Post by afan95 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:04 pm

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_23 ... ew-drivers

Good for this woman. She didn't even have to pay for her job training. This is the kind of thinking and drive that's needed in America today.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Where there's a will there's a way

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:42 pm

Interesting topic, I think.

<ahem>What Afan should have included in the OP</ahem>, though is:

Out of work woman goes to truck driving school created by a public/private partnership, gets her license and gets herself off unemployment. Good for her!

"The Long Beach resident was among the first cohort of nine to recently graduate from the Harbor Trucking Association's Commercial Driver Training at Long Beach City College, a pilot program designed to train people to become licensed, short-haul truck drivers who could move goods in and out of the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles.

"The program aims to fill a need for more skilled truck drivers, which fell by 7,000 in 2012 because of state and federal regulation changes, according to the college."

Only trouble is that hauling containers pays only marginally better than Walmart does, so probably not many of the graduates will stay at it much longer than it takes them to get the miles to qualify for something that pays better. Which doesn't really solve the Harbor Trucking Association's problem of filling those 7,000 open positions, much less keeping them filled.

It's a great opportunity for people to get into the industry but I'm wondering if it might be a half-taxpayer-funded money pit.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

afan95

Post by afan95 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:54 am

Geez, nothing I said was misleading. And even if it's a tax issue that's helping this woman or others like her, is it really no different than a government stimulus plan?
Stop being so negative about the people's reasons to help. Someone is trying to figure out a way to fix a problem. Someone is trying to figure out how to get people off unemployment. And this woman took advantage of it so good for her. Even if she's on the job for a year, she now has a job. I'm hearing that if you haven't had a job for 2-3 years, your resume doesn't even get past HR in some businesses. There are jobs that are careers and then then are jobs that are just jobs that are the basis for moving on to something better.

What was she supposed to do? Wait around until someone came by and offered her a $20/hr job?
She's working which is more than a lot of people who are sitting on their butts and collecting unemployment or welfare are doing. Tell me that there aren't other able bodied people who couldn't do the same. If they did then there wouldn't be an issue of filling those 7000 jobs even when others decided to move on to other things.
Last edited by afan95 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:10 am

The first paragraph of the story reveals the writer's/editor's ignorance of tractor/trailer rig parlance. Last I knew there were no ignition switches or cabs in truck trailers.

After climbing into the cab of a trucker trailer, Angelica Ito-Alvarez turned the ignition, put her petite hands on the steering wheel and watched the 10-wheeler and the promise of a new career rumble to life.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:10 am

Sorry, afan. I wasn't criticizing your opinion. I was criticizing the lack of information in the post. I should probably write up a sticky of some kind on that. Google has made that sort of thing more of a problem than it used to be.

And maybe I should have been more clear about the "money pit" thing. I support the program and I think it's a great opportunity for the students - probably better than most ROP programs. But I'm thinking it might be a money pit for the Harbor Trucking Association. It could be that the money they put in just paid for the trucks, but they're putting money into a program to get people into a position that's going to have high turnover unless it starts paying better. Delivering containers pays less than most local driving jobs and probably about half of what an over the road driver makes, so there isn't much incentive for people to stay in the job.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:04 am

Another win for the California Community College System.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:18 am

While I applaud this woman's accomplishment and the program that made it possible, there's this;

"The program aims to fill a need for more skilled truck drivers, which fell by 7,000 in 2012 because of state and federal regulation changes, according to the college. "

Bureaucratic regulations cost 7,000 working drivers their jobs. Replacing them doesn't put them back to work.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

afan95

Post by afan95 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:27 am

So you have to start somewhere.
I'm guessing we all started out at a minimum wage job at a burger shack, etc.
That's how we got experience with understanding what a job was, what working with the general public was all about, what being responsible to a supervisor's demands were even if we didn't like it.
Why is it that the people starting out as a container driver won't be able to use that experience to get the higher paying trucking jobs? There's nothing that says you have to spend 5 years at a job before you go.
And the turnover would be good so others could get experience.

If everyone who ever started at Carl's Jr, Burger King, McDonalds, etc. stayed there, who would ever get that first time job?

And Fordama is right. Good job by the community college system for being innovative. If you look at what a community college has to offer in terms of training, there's a fair amount of programs that will get a person a job. It's not just for high school kids who don't know what they want to do in college so they spend two years there or for the kids who can't afford 4 years at a more expensive school. Community colleges are great places to go to learn a skill that will lead to a job.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:40 am

110% right Fan... Jumping out there with a diploma doesn't mean a person will be successful in their field. It takes some practical experience in the real world of working with the public and under business restraints to really benefit from that education. Management training at McD it has been said is equal to an MBA from Harvard. Any other job while going to school has pretty near the same pluses.

"I never let schooling interfere with my education."... Mark Twain..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..