4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work

kramer

4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work

Post by kramer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Exclusive: 4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work
Exclusive: Working-class whites are gloomy about future amid rising income gaps, racial shifts

WASHINGTON (AP) Four out of 5 U.S. adults struggle with joblessness, near-poverty or reliance on welfare for at least parts of their lives, a sign of deteriorating economic security and an elusive American dream.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive ... 06005.html
Here's probably the biggest reason this economy sucks:

If there's a bright side, most of these poor Americans can now buy an electric can opener from Wal-Mart for just $11.95...

Too bad this $11.95 electric can-opener utopia ain't going to last. The TPP will eff America in its ass:
Warren on Trans-Pacific Partnership: If people knew what was going on, they would stop it

I have heard the argument that transparency would undermine the Trade Representative’s policy to complete the trade agreement because public opposition would be significant,” Warren explained. “In other words, if people knew what was going on, they would stop it. This argument is exactly backwards. If transparency would lead to widespread public opposition to a trade agreement, then that trade agreement should not be the policy of the United States.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/19/w ... d-stop-it/
..."the most transparent administration ever"...
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Wabash

Re: 4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work

Post by Wabash » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:10 pm

Proof that trickle down economics is a failed policy.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:07 pm

I think the truth is both trickle down economics and the exportation of jobs overseas--not one or the other.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Red

Post by Red » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:16 pm

I think the truth is both trickle down economics and the exportation of jobs overseas--not one or the other.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You really should do stand up comedy. msLSD needs another commentator. One of the liberals on here keeps bragging about obummer's economic policies and you are blaming Reagan. Classic liberalism.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:21 pm

I like it when red says stuff that he has no clue about, but he uses lots of exclamation points and the capslock key. It's like watching a monkey throwing their own poo but it sticks to their hand instead.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Red

Post by Red » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:09 pm

I know a lot more than you think. You are one of the reasons why the America's education system is a complete failure. Teach the kids the truth instead of brainwashing them with liberal hogwash!

Watch the personal attack. Not allowed. Oh yeah. I forget. Liberals are hypocrites and don't have to follow the rules.

NAFTA and GATT are the main reasons why a lot of jobs left this country. Our rotten politicians and back stabbing unions are the other reasons why good jobs are leaving and have left. Keep blaming it on the boogie man trickle down economics and keep sounding ignorant. Enough said.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Red wrote:I know a lot more than you think.
No, you're pretty clueless.

I'm sure you wrote something after that, but I doubt if it was anywhere above the 3rd grade level like the rest of your political "statements."

Fordama

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Face the truth for once.. A majority of the "new" jobs are far below the skill set and past wages of the people who have been "laid off". People are working temp jobs, part time jobs, and limited contract jobs. Sure that drives down the unemployment numbers, but doesn't do a damned thing for improving the economy. Now with Obamacare kicking in Employers are hesitant to hire, and limiting workers to under 30 hours in order to escape the added employee costs. Small business, the bastion of the middle class, is particularly hurting.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

afan95

Post by afan95 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:40 pm

What about the change in society and it's norms that have changed to make a person's economic situation worse?
This article highlights the decrease in marriage, the increase in woman led households, etc.
That has nothing to do with trickle down economics and jobs being sent overseas. It's so much easier to blame politics though than to blame yourself for the situation you're in.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Being retired I'm in a precarious enough situation. SS won't keep food on the table and the lights on.
I've been pretty lucky in the stock market, but my IRA has taken a beating.
What worries me is my son and daughter. Both of them have good jobs and make a comfortable salaries. If, by chance, either of them get laid off they would take an eighty percent cut in today's market. They would lose their houses, their credit would take a dump, their lifestyle would take a radical change for the worse. There is no way I could help them out, even for a short term. They would be living at the poverty level.
That scenario is being played out in households across a majority of our country. From living comfortable to just barely getting by. There's still about 10% of former working people who have just given up.
Trading an engineer's or account manager's job for flipping burgers is not an economic improvement.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 am

afan95 wrote: This article highlights the decrease in marriage, the increase in woman led households, etc.
How is either of those responsible? I don't understand your point.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:58 am

I swear to God if you use that can opener line again I will blow my brains out.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

afan95

Post by afan95 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:04 am

Wabash wrote: How is either of those responsible? I don't understand your point.
Yes you do...you just want to get in an argument with me and I don't feel like playing.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:35 am

No I don't. I will accept your remarks as an opinion that has zero substance.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:45 am

afan95...you are doing the same thing with Wabash you do to me...drop in and make a post asking questions and making statements.....then disappear for days....here you tell him you don't want to discuss/argue/support/defend your points. Why bother asking questions if you don't care to deal with answers that differ from your own or ask for qualification?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:04 am

The answer is readily apparent if one spends a little time thinking about it.. Some can't, others don't want to.

Not many people want to start a marriage on unemployment and welfare, and jobs are scarce..
It is easier for a woman to get government assistance when a husband isn't in the picture.
Even animals know to limit pregnancy when food is scarce..

afan95

Post by afan95 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:15 am

Parrotpaul wrote:afan95...you are doing the same thing with Wabash you do to me...drop in and make a post asking questions and making statements.....then disappear for days....here you tell him you don't want to discuss/argue/support/defend your points. Why bother asking questions if you don't care to deal with answers that differ from your own or ask for qualification?
Unlike you and Wabash, I have a life that often keeps me from living on this forum. If I wanted to really have a discussion with either of you over an issue, I would PM you and ask for your telephone number and we could have that discussion directly instead of this forum.
You also have the freedom not to comment about anything I post. It won't hurt my feelings at all.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:38 am

:yeahthat: That's the nature of message boards. Sometimes you get a reply right away, sometimes it takes a while, sometimes you never get one. I've been waiting for two days on a reply on another board. Maybe it will come, maybe it won't. I, for one, appreciated Afan's post because it told me that maybe there was more to the article than what Kramer and Wabash were stuck on. Maybe even something I have some first-hand knowledge on. I'll have to read it.

When I get a chance.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Red

Post by Red » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:04 pm

It doesn't matter what grade level a posts is written in, liberals are too ignorant to get it. How about I don't reply to your ignorant liberal drivel? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:21 pm

Red wrote:It doesn't matter what grade level a posts is written in...
Enough said, red.

Fordama