The loss of middle income jobs.

Tommy Tar

The loss of middle income jobs.

Postby Tommy Tar » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:05 am

http://www.wsj.com/articles/drones-next ... 1421769564

By JACK NICAS
Jan. 20, 2015 10:59 a.m. ET

Construction-equipment maker Komatsu Ltd. has plans to solve a potential shortage of construction workers in Japan: Let drones and driverless bulldozers do part of the work.

Tokyo-based Komatsu said Tuesday it plans to use unmanned aircraft, bulldozers and excavators to automate much of the early foundation work on construction sites.

Under Komatsu’s plans, U.S.-made drones would scan job sites from the air and send images to computers to build three-dimensional models of the terrain. Komatsu’s unmanned bulldozers and excavators would then use those models to carry out design plans, digging holes and moving earth.<snip>

People are working on driverless buses and taxis to move people around town. :-" Less jobs and more people is not a good thing. :hide:

‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Parrotpaul

Re: The loss of middle income jobs.

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:11 am

Would you go back to hiring typesetters to help out?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:33 am

Can Skynet be far behind?? :hide:

afan95

Postby afan95 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:09 pm

never like Stephen Hawking much but even he thinks artificial intelligence is not the answer...one day the robots/machines will take over the world and not in a good way.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:15 pm

I just finished reading two fiction books on this subject, Robopocalypse and Robogenisis by Daniel Wilson. Very entertaining.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:41 pm

"Less jobs and more people is not a good thing"

Not less jobs, different jobs.

People have to invent the new machines, people have to design them, build them, sell them, install, monitor them, service them....
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:20 pm

We can't be making buggy whips forever.. The days of standing at a machine making 10,000 wigets for good pay has been gone for a couple of decades.. Adapt or join the welfare parade... Get educated for real..
Drones can't fly themselves, build and repair themselves, program themselves and people can't do those jobs without some technical training.. Machines can replace the low cost labor that took those nonthinking jobs to other countries. This is the dawn of a new era...
Everything is computer controlled. Computers never get tired, call in sick, or make mistakes.. mistakes.. mista..eeerk..zap... :lol:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:04 am

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technol ... m5oei.html

Robots to replace almost half of jobs over next 20 years.

Robots and computer programs could almost wipe out human workers in jobs from cooks to truck drivers, a visiting researcher has warned.

Driverless cars and even burger-flipping robots are among the technological advancements gunning for low-skilled jobs across dozens of industries.

University of Oxford Associate Professor in machine learning Michael Osborne has examined the characteristics of 702 occupations in the US, predicting 47 per cent will be overtaken by computers in the next decade or two.

Those most at-risk jobs are in accommodation and food services (87 percent of workers at high risk of being replaced), transportation and warehousing (75 percent) and real estate (67 percent).

By contrast, only about 10 percent of workers in the information sector, software developers and higher level management were at risk of automation. =snip=
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:37 am

I'm happy to no longer be a part of the job market.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:52 am

Too few jobs, or too many people?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:10 am

I'm wondering at what point we'll start seeing this as a morality issue.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:27 am

Somebody has to program and maintain the computers and robots. Somebody has to come up with the new concepts and ideas, and somebody else needs to present and sell them to the people. We still need designers, planners, and supervisors. We still need teachers, hospital personnel, firemen, waiters, and government workers..
Going are the labor intensive jobs and standing at a machine pumping out 10,000 widgets a day in mind numbing work at $25/hour. Most of that was outsourced a few decades ago anyway.
Instead of using brawn and dexterity the workers are going to have to use something they have very little experience with, their brains.. We are entering the true age of the machines.. Only the stupid and those unwilling to learn will be left behind.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:07 am

Yes...and there are also those who aren't stupid and are willing to learn who are locked into situations for all kinds of reasons who will be left behind. Those are the folks who need some help.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:20 am

The help they need, Paul, is called classes and education.. :wink: Something you should be aware of.
Too bad unemployment insurance won't allow them to do that.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:32 am

Trouble is when a machine replaces 5 - 10 people and it only takes one person to tell the machine what to do. We have no need for 4 - 9 more educated machine-teller-what-to-doers, regardless of how much education they have.

Then there's the problem of eliminating entire professions. Self-driving trucks are going to be a killer.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:34 am

p.s. Self-driving boats probably wouldn't be much of a challenge at all.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:38 pm

fordama: Too few jobs, or too many people?

There you go fordama! Deport illegal aliens and send foreign workers back to their native countries. Our government is set up to benefit American citizens and the future of the USA.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Robots, Brooke, robots.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Well, as long as they're American-made robots of course.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:45 pm

John wrote; "p.s. Self-driving boats probably wouldn't be much of a challenge at all."

:wink: Been tried already, John, The Japanese planned to take the entire crew, except a mate an engineer, off their container ships at the departure pilot buoy, and add a crew at the point of entry at their destination. The USCG wouldn't allow it... The West Coast longshoremans' strike cost the shipping companies $millions in crew overtime.
Point of interest, Fordy.. In eight of ten flights the pilot and copilot are only along for the ride on today's airliners. They only have to do a hands on landing or takeoff once in a while to keep in practice. :shock:

Return to “The Economy”