Seattle's Minimum Wage Fallout

afan95

Seattle's Minimum Wage Fallout

Post by afan95 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:45 am

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07 ... tcmp=hpbt3

Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.

Full Life Care, a home nursing nonprofit, told KIRO-TV in Seattle that several workers want to work less.

“If they cut down their hours to stay on those subsidies because the $15 per hour minimum wage didn’t actually help get them out of poverty, all you’ve done is put a burden on the business and given false hope to a lot of people,” said Jason Rantz, host of the Jason Rantz show on 97.3 KIRO-FM.

The twist is just one apparent side effect of the controversial -- yet trendsetting -- minimum wage law in Seattle, which is being copied in several other cities despite concerns over prices rising and businesses struggling to keep up.

The notion that employees are intentionally working less to preserve their welfare has been a hot topic on talk radio. While the claims are difficult to track, state stats indeed suggest few are moving off welfare programs under the new wage.

Despite a booming economy throughout western Washington, the state’s welfare caseload has dropped very little since the higher wage phase began in Seattle in April. In March 130,851 people were enrolled in the Basic Food program. In April, the caseload dropped to 130,376.

At the same time, prices appear to be going up on just about everything.
***************************************************************************************************************************

Looks like some people don't want to be self reliant but want to continue receiving benefits without having to work for them.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Parrotpaul

Re: Seattle's Minimum Wage Fallout

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:12 am

Interesting....for several months in 1970 I worked as a cutting room supervisor in a red hake (whiting) fish processing plant. Most of my minimum wage casual work force were regulars who showed up for work every night except for a short period every month where some workers didn't show. Management explained there were workers who didn't want to exceed a certain amount of earned wages every month, because it would have impacted their assistance benefits...it certainly impacted our ability to cut tens of thousands of pounds of fish that were lumped every night during those periods.

I believe most would rather have worked, but at some tipping point they would be losing money by working...most had families... it is certainly a dilemma.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:14 am

The Law of Unintended Consequences is alive and well. When all those minimum-wage workers get bumped up to 15 bucks an hour, how are all of their $15-per-hour supervisors going to feel? Think they'll be real motivated?

afan95

Post by afan95 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:48 am

I lose money the more I work too....it's called taxes.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:59 am

Won't take too long for businesses to figure out that automation is cheaper than minimum wage..
Those who have been on the East Coast might remember Horne and Hardart's(?) food dispensers..
Will McD's and In and Out go that way? Self checkouts in the markets, ATMs??
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:13 am

Horn and Hardart...best sticky buns in the world.

Why wouldn't companies automate to reduce labor costs?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:58 pm

MDDad wrote:The Law of Unintended Consequences is alive and well. When all those minimum-wage workers get bumped up to 15 bucks an hour, how are all of their $15-per-hour supervisors going to feel? Think they'll be real motivated?
Besides that and the other consequences, the problem is that relative incomes have become so skewed. Raising the minimum wage doesn't improve that and could even make it worse. The supervisor might have made $5 more than the workers before, now he makes $3 more and the minimum wage worker is still a minimum wage worker. That doesn't help anybody.
Don't look at me, I just work here.