Minimum Wage Jobs

not4u13

Minimum Wage Jobs

Post by not4u13 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:07 am

I'm observing something very interesting living here in Texas. Back in SoCal, when we went out to a restaurant we were usually seated by a 20 something, served and bussed by someone much older. Nearly everywhere, even fast food places, the staff seemed much older than the group of HS kids that had those jobs back when I was in HS.

Here in this part of Texas, it's HS kids. Some are willing to work hard and do a good job while others can be seen slacking off more than I would want if I was the business owner, but the staff is mostly high school kids. The businesses are even proud of it. Some advertise as Now Hiring HS Students.

That's what minimum wage jobs are supposed to be about. Entry level to something that eventually gets better. The nicer places (more expensive places) have older (more experienced) wait staff. Maybe college age or late 20s. Those are not minimum wage jobs, but nearly all of them started at those entry level minimum wage jobs.

Employers will pay more than minimum wage when it makes business sense to do so. Forcing them to pay more by raising the minimum wage will only increase prices or put them out of business. The notion that they'll take less profits is hogwash.

Why is the makeup of who holds these minimum wage jobs so different here than in SoCal? I'm not sure I have a good answer for that. Anyone?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

afan95

Re: Minimum Wage Jobs

Post by afan95 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:17 am

Maybe it's because Texas is getting companies that California is losing so post college/high school people have jobs that were once considered high school student jobs.

Maybe it's because Texas is a conservative state and not the welfare state that California is. Maybe the attitude is that you don't sit on your butt and have the government take care of you but you go out and take care of yourself.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 am

You're joking about Texas, right? There are many parts of Texas fiscal policy that conservatives would adamantly oppose if they were attempted to be enacted here in CA.

They are just as dependent if not more than many of the so called welfare states you criticize.

Ironically, the best economically expanding area is the Austin/San Antonio corridor that is regarded as very liberal.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

afan95

Post by afan95 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:54 am

No I'm not joking Wabash, several people I know have talked about moving to Texas because the people there share their own conservative values.

Austin is becoming liberal because all the liberals from CA who ruined this state or don't like our state tax are moving there to ruin Texas next.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:02 pm

Those people you know must be ignorant of the realities of Texas fiscal policy.

There are a few points of their policy that is antithetical to conservative values. Or so they claim.
Last edited by Wabash on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Austin has been liberal for many years. They have a motto, "Keep Austin Weird."

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:49 pm

That explains the pink state capitol building.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:07 pm

My son has lived in Houston for seven or eight years, and he's visited Austin many times. He says Austin isn't really part of Texas as much as it's just surrounded by Texas -- kind of like West Berlin was surrounded by East Germany.

afan95

Post by afan95 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:47 pm

I will pass that information along to my ignorant friends Wabash.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Make sure you tell them there is no Prop. 13 in Texas. There is a lot of discussion going on right now about assessments and who should pay for government services.

Also make sure to tell them not to live next door to a chemical factory that might blow up. The folks in West, TX found out the hard way their lives were shattered and the corporation that owned the facility only had a $1M in liability coverage. The law allows them to escape liability.

Something that was completely preventable but wasn't because of lax regulations and oversight. Not everyone believes in pulling their weight or taking responsibility for their actions in that state.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:58 pm

Something that was completely preventable but wasn't because of lax regulations and oversight.
With Porter Ranch just up the 405, it might have been smarter not to bring this up.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:05 pm

The difference is the ability for those harmed to collect damages. The law in CA is much different than TX.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:57 pm

not4u wrote:Why is the makeup of who holds these minimum wage jobs so different here than in SoCal? I'm not sure I have a good answer for that. Anyone?
My question would be "What do the adults who have those jobs here do in Texas?" I doubt that many grownups flip burgers by choice.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:52 am

It is certainly possible if not likely that there are just more jobs in this area. I know that Texas is general is more pro business. Labor laws here are much more loose too. The North Dallas area has a lot of business and is attracting more all the time. Frito Lay, JC Penney, FedEx, Chase, Liberty Mutual, State Farm, American Airlines, Southwest ... To name a few ... All have their HQ (or regional hub) here. Home construction is HUGE. There is a lot of land and it isn't very expensive so I see entire communities (including the elementary schools) being built with hundreds of homes in each community. Roads are being widened and when the community goes in they are putting in the entire infrastructure. Everything from water, power, sewer and roads to the schools and even nearby shopping. That doesn't count the large industrial and commercial sites. I can count 20 cranes in the air along one stretch of road. That has to be creating jobs for a lot of people. Even with oil taking a huge hit, home inventory is very low right now and home prices are growing at a rapid rate. How long can this be sustained? A lot of new jobs are still coming. White collar jobs with good median pay. Maybe that's what's going on. Just more jobs in general leaving those minimum wage jobs open for the entry level worker.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:42 am

Apparently construction jobs are helping the unemployment rate in Texas...4.8% at the end of 2015. California unemployment was more than a full percentage point higher at 5.8%.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:20 am

Texas avoided the ravages of the housing bubble due to an arcane law that was enacted after the Panic of 1837.

In 2008, Texas was the only state with a regulation limiting home equity borrowing. After purchase, mortgage debt along with any new borrowing (including home equity loans) cannot exceed 80 percent of a home’s market value unless the new debt funds home improvements. Consequently, the state has lower levels of “cash-outs” owners taking money out of their houses during a refinancing. Through the boom, the rates of mortgage debt growth and consumer spending in response to house price appreciation were more restrained in Texas. And during the downturn, the state’s cap on home equity borrowing may have also helped homeowners avoid incurring negative equity and, with it, the excessive mortgage default rates that occurred elsewhere.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:33 am

! Message from: John Q. Public
Irrelevant, unnecessary and unwelcome partisan dig removed from the above post.

Luca

Post by Luca » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:57 am

Wabash's posts are to intellectual inquiry as Mad Magazine is to literature.....................Luca

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:06 am

Wabash, re-read my post. Pay special attention to the fourth and fifth words.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:11 am

Woo Woo Woo ... Pretentious Ass Alert! - Pretentious Ass Alert! ... Woo Woo Woo

Not JQP...