Deficit shrinks by $1 trillion in the Obama era

Parrotpaul

Deficit shrinks by $1 trillion in the Obama era

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:59 am

Rachel Maddow reports that the budget deficit under President Obama has shrunk by one trillion dollars. I'm no economist, but that sounds like a pretty good job to me. Thoughts?

The Republican rhetoric was ridiculously wrong. We don’t have a trillion-dollar deficit; the deficit isn’t the ultimate problem; and it’s not growing.

Strong growth in individual tax collection drove the U.S. budget deficit to a fresh Obama-era low in fiscal 2015, the Treasury Department said Thursday.

For the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30 the shortfall was $439 billion, a decrease of 9%, or $44 billion, from last year. The deficit is the smallest of Barack Obama’s presidency and the lowest since 2007 in both dollar terms and as a percentage of gross domestic product

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... -Obama-era
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Re: Deficit shrinks by $1 trillion in the Obama era

Post by Wabash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks Obama!
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:44 pm

crickets
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:30 pm

It's always nice when revenue increases. Better economy, better tax collection. Hides a lot of ills. We still spend way too much.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:03 pm

...the budget deficit under President Obama has shrunk by one trillion dollars. I'm no economist, but that sounds like a pretty good job to me. Thoughts?

Goes to show that being the Anti-Christ is a very time-consuming job and that despite your worst intentions, occasionally a good result can slip by you...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:56 am

Made all the more remarkable when one considers all the dire economic predictions that were being made by a particular group.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:01 am

No shout-outs from the usual band of doubters...what say ye, SBH...you have to have some arguments that show this to be a bogus report...no?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:53 am

Hopefully SBH has enough sense to resist what you're both trolling for. The object is to avoid fights, not to try to instigate them.

Revenues are up because employment is up. How about we leave it at that?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:07 am

Gotta get something going...the forum's on life support as it is...what the hey...we've tried everything on this board...nothing works. We'll just hang around with our hands folded whilst Bev commands the room. Sorry for being so cynical.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:41 am

I pretty much agree, Paul.

Cheers is still one of my favorite comedy series ever. It was always clever and funny, at times touching, but also usually a little pathetic. Every day the same clique of five or six losers would come into the bar, talk about the same things as the day before, insult each other, or try to impress each other with how clever or informed they were, and all because they had nowhere better to be. Then they’d go home, get some sleep, and come back the next day and do the same things all over again.

More and more, this forum is just like Sam Malone’s bar.

Only without the beer.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:55 am

Good analogy, MDDAD. :cheers:

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:56 am

Not surprising you make an off topic post.

The reality is the economy has done very well under this president. In spite of many openly proclaiming he would either fail or they hoped he would fail.

Didn't happen.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:20 am

And you're as "off topic" as he was. In a system like ours, a president has very little influence over employment.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:29 am

I would agree with you were it not for the fact we both know he would be getting all the blame if the economy had tanked.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:33 am

And you're as "off topic" as he was. In a system like ours, a president has very little influence over employment.

Would it be fair to say you consider this WSJ blog article to be simply spin?

President **** entered office in 2001 just as a recession was starting, and is preparing to leave in the middle of a long one. That’s almost 22 months of recession during his 96 months in office.

His job-creation record won’t look much better. The **** administration created about three million jobs (net) over its eight years, a fraction of the 23 million jobs created under President Bill Clinton‘s administration and only slightly better than President **** did in his four years in office.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/01/ ... on-record/

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:53 pm

Parrotpaul: We'll just hang around with our hands folded whilst Bev commands the room. Sorry for being so cynical.
What are you talking about?

Nothing is stopping you or anyone else from bringing facts to the board and sticking up for your opinions. It's simple; it's not rocket science. :eh?:
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:04 pm

I continue to be mystified by the steadfast insistence of Obama’s supporters on this forum to compare him almost exclusively to George Bush, as though being a better president than Bush somehow confirms Obama’s greatness. Bush will be remembered as one of the worst presidents in American history, so he’s a very low standard to exceed. If Bush’s administration was like eating manure for eight years, Obama is merely an upgrade to mediocre hamburger, full of fat and gristle. Yeah, he’s better, but Christ let’s not pretend he’s a gourmet meal in a Michelin star restaurant.

I’d guess when Obama's accomplishments and metrics are eventually compared to other presidents after the tints of dislike and hero worship have faded away, he’ll end up somewhere in the middle of the pack or just below.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:18 pm

What metric would you like to use?

Let's make sure you use a standard that included an opposition party that was so intent on obstruction, it even filibustered its own legislation.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:17 pm

I continue to be mystified by the steadfast insistence of Obama’s supporters...

Can't a person just look at the facts and render an opinion without being labeled and dismissed as an "Obama supporter"? I would venture that most people who voted for him or offer counters to attacks on particular policies or actions of his don't "support" everything he does...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:39 pm

I continue to be mystified by the steadfast insistence of Obama’s supporters on this forum to compare him almost exclusively to George Bush, as though being a better president than Bush somehow confirms Obama’s greatness.

Perhaps you simply missed the WSJ blog article I posted. It mentions several Presidents not just ****.

Come on, man.

IN case you missed it....

Would it be fair to say you consider this WSJ blog article to be simply spin?

President **** entered office in 2001 just as a recession was starting, and is preparing to leave in the middle of a long one. That’s almost 22 months of recession during his 96 months in office.

His job-creation record won’t look much better. The **** administration created about three million jobs (net) over its eight years, a fraction of the 23 million jobs created under President Bill Clinton‘s administration and only slightly better than President **** did in his four years in office.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/01/ ... on-record/