Why the Stock Market Doesnt Like Republicans

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Why the Stock Market Doesnt Like Republicans

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:48 am

I also said credit to Trump if it gets back on course. But this disruption can't be credited to anyone but Donald.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:30 am

I seem to remember that the big complaint about Obama was all the "uncertainty" he promulgated in the stock market.

Today's headlines are full of uncertainty, yet the same people who whined about Obama are silent, or even more baffling are actually supporting this idiot in the Oval Office.

Anyone own Amazon stock? How are the 401K's faring today?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:43 am

With Obama, people complained that they didn't know where the economy would be in six months. (How'd that work out, BTW?) With Trump the uncertainty is from hour to hour, and yeah, those same people people defend him. Remind me to not pay them any mind in the future. Turns out their complaining was even more meaningless that I thought at the time.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:21 am

The market is currently in positive territory. It started off about 400 points negative.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Vilepagan wrote:QR_BBPOST How are the 401K's faring today?
Spoke too soon didn't you? Dow ended up 230.94. My 401k is just fine, thank you for asking.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:36 pm

It did better during an equivalent timeframe during the Obama Administration.

We're just seeing the opening rounds of this trade war.

Complicating the issue is whether or not China will be continue to buy our debt.

Which has grown significantly during Trump's first year and is forecasted to increase.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:00 pm

BTW, I understand that none of these tariffs have even taken effect yet, on either side. I'm not sure if the person who said that is right or wrong, but negotiations are ahead.

On the other side of the coin, did you see this story from the NY Times?

Trump Is ‘Saving Us’: Minnesota Mining Country Warms to Tariffs and G.O.P.

Sounds like the Iron Miners are being recalled to work, again. We may see an increase in taconite being hauled south west to Utah and beyond again by train. (That stuff is so heavy, they only can fill rail cars 25% full). It also was the cargo on the SS Edmund Fitzgerald.

Democratic seats in congress are now in play.

But in a handful of places where Republicans see openings to win seats and upend a national political forecast that seems to favor Democrats in November, the 25 percent tariff on foreign steel and the 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum are viewed as economic lifelines straight from the Oval Office.

In Southern Illinois, where a Republican congressman, Mike Bost, faces a tough re-election campaign, a steel mill that laid off hundreds is calling back workers. In Ohio, where the governorship and a Senate seat are on this year’s ballot, another steel mill could soon reopen. And in upper Minnesota, where iron ore pits — vast canyons of red-tinted dirt — shape the landscape, the tariffs could be a stabilizing force for towns still recovering from mine closings.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Professor Fate wrote:QR_BBPOST Spoke too soon didn't you?
No. So do you have anything to say about my post or just that one sentence? Feeling comfortable about your investments are you? Satisfied we have a stable man at the helm?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: "the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:39 am

Dow drops more than 600 points, at lows, as tariff-fueled tantrum festers - Marketwatch

Ho hum. Just another day. :yawn

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:12 pm

At the the close - DJIA down 572 (-2.34%) for the day, -0.71% for the week, -5.54% for the month and -3.18 year to date.

You know it's ugly when a financial site's advice is to take the dog for a walk.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:53 pm

No words of wisdom from Professor Fate today?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:18 pm

We should be happy it only went down about 570 points. At one point in time it was down over 700 points.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Vilepagan wrote:QR_BBPOST
No words of wisdom from Professor Fate today?
Still playing with the house's money.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:41 pm

So you haven't invested anything since Trump's election?

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:53 pm

This thread is becoming absolutely hilarious. Every day the market is down appreciably, the lefties come out and ridicule Trump and his supporters. Every day the market is up, they scurry back under the fridge and don't say a word. It's like watching a bad cartoon.

And Professor, take it from someone who used to be a family financial and estate planner, if you are in your 70's and still heavily invested in equities that are impacted by stock market fluctuations, you need a new financial adviser.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:55 pm

MDDad wrote:QR_BBPOST if you are in your 70's and still heavily invested in equities that are impacted by stock market fluctuations, you need a new financial adviser.
Exactamundo.

The other point. Trump and his supporters were taking credit for stock market gains before he was sworn in. They are nowhere to be found with the recent downturns.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Wabash wrote:QR_BBPOST So you haven't invested anything since Trump's election?
I don't follow what my 401K is buying or selling. I no longer can add to it, and all I'm concerned with is the balance. Despite three large withdrawals since January 2017, I still have more $ than what I had before those withdrawals.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:15 pm

MDDad wrote:QR_BBPOST This thread is becoming absolutely hilarious. Every day the market is down appreciably, the lefties come out and ridicule Trump and his supporters. Every day the market is up, they scurry back under the fridge and don't say a word. It's like watching a bad cartoon.
Actually if you read my posts I'm just ridiculing the people who pissed and moaned about "uncertainty' when Obama was in charge and now...nothing. It's as if they never said a word.

How much "certainty" do we have now?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:13 pm

MDDad wrote:Every day the market is down appreciably, the lefties come out and ridicule Trump and his supporters.
And Professor, take it from someone who used to be a family financial and estate planner, if you are in your 70's and still heavily invested in equities that are impacted by stock market fluctuations, you need a new financial adviser.
Think of it as a public service.

But yeah, what VP said. We listened to the constant moans of "uncertainty" through eight years of steady market growth, but now that we can't be certain of anything from morning to afternoon, we hear nothing from those people. Hell, a couple of them don't even stop by any more. Too busy basking in the glory that is #MAGA, I guess.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Professor Fate wrote:QR_BBPOST Spoke too soon didn't you?
The honeymoon is over... :-"

The Dow closed down 425 points, or 1.7%, after opening with a 130-point gain. At its worst point of the day, the Dow was down more than 600 points.

The Dow has fallen for the past five straight days — its longest losing streak in more than a year — and has given up its gains for the year.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/24/investi ... index.html
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump