Why the Stock Market Doesnt Like Republicans

Vilepagan

Re: Why the Stock Market Doesnt Like Republicans

Postby Vilepagan » Tue May 01, 2018 3:47 am

Oh No....

US Delays Decision on Tariffs for EU, Prolonging Uncertainty

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. government will take another 30 days to decide whether to impose tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum from the European Union, Canada, and Mexico, extending a period of uncertainty for businesses in those regions.

The delay helps the U.S. avoid a potential trade war with allies as it prepares for tense trade talks in China this week. But the EU slammed the decision as bad for business that "prolongs market uncertainty, which is already affecting business decisions."

"As a longstanding partner and friend of the U.S., we will not negotiate under threat," the EU said in a statement Tuesday.

I guess it's a good thing we have such a thoughtful and circumspect leader at the helm. No "uncertainty" here. :roll:

Wasn't trump's big selling point his astute business acumen?

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 am

So what sent my 401k negative last quarter was only a bluff? Thanks, Donald.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sat May 12, 2018 12:06 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post The honeymoon is over... :-"

The Dow has fallen for the past five straight days — its longest losing streak in more than a year — and has given up its gains for the year.

Dow posts 7-day win streak, biggest weekly gain since March...So...you were saying? :-"
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat May 12, 2018 6:43 am

Just a little context. At this point in time the stock market has gone up about 25% during Trump's Administration.
At this point in time during Obama's Administration the stock market had increased about 34%.

I was saying that market performance under Obama (with a Dem congress) has been better than Trump (with a GOP congress).

I was also saying that Obama's accomplishment was all the more remarkable given the economy was in meltdown mode when he was sworn into office.

I've read the current bullish mood in the market is due to worldwide oil prices going up. Caused by Trump pulling out of the Iran deal. Which in turn will cause gas prices to go up.

Is that good or bad?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat May 12, 2018 8:06 am

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post So...you were saying?

Oh, look who's back. Haven't heard from you in over a month...was worried you did something rash :lol:

Need a memory refresher? What I was saying was:
Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post The Dow...has given up its gains for the year

....which it has, still down almost 2,000 points from its high earlier this year.

It was nice seeing you, but with China hitting back at American companies over tariffs, Iran and Israel trading missiles and analysts predicting a return to $100/bbl oil, get ready to scurry away again...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat May 12, 2018 8:31 am

Wabash wrote: At this point in time during Obama's Administration the stock market had increased about 34%.

Everybody but you knows that that statistic is meaningless. Doesn't it embarrass you to keep repeating it?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sat May 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
The Dow...has given up its gains for the year

....which it has, still down almost 2,000 points from its high earlier this year.
No, actually, it hasn't. The Dow opened on January 2, 2018 at 24,809.35. It now is above that at 24, 831.17 :-P

And way to cherry-pick and exaggerate the numbers to make yourself look better. From its ALL-TIME HIGH on January 26, 2018, the market is down 1,785.54.

Bottom line is that the market is up for 2018 ever so slightly, and its up 6,498.43, (more than 35%) since election day 2016.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat May 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Make myself look better? Did you really write that? :roll:

Yes, down 1,785 since late January and wallowing under 24,000, which is where it was in November, until just a few days ago. Which BTW strangely coincided with your extended sabbatical from this thread...now, after a few days of gains voila, here you are again.

Well, welcome back, at least until it goes down again. Then I guess we'll see you pop up again on the other thread touting a minuscule Trump approval uptick on one flawed poll...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun May 13, 2018 10:00 am

This thread would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetically predictable. Every time the Dow is up a few ticks, the right start to crow. And every time it's down a few, the left start to strut their put-downs. Omar, is "wallowing under 24,000" kind of like wallowing on the 99th floor of the Empire State Building, or wallowing somewhere just above Base Camp on Everest?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun May 13, 2018 10:07 am

You of all people should know that stock market investors are all about "what have you done for me lately?" This year has not been kind to that group. Up barely 1% since the start of the year.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun May 13, 2018 10:24 am

Well, drug stocks did well on Friday after Don announced he's going to get tough on the drug industry.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun May 13, 2018 10:43 am

Wabash wrote:You of all people should know that stock market investors are all about "what have you done for me lately."

I disagree. Stock market investors are all about "what do I think the sheep are about to do, and how can I leverage or manipulate that to make a buck."

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun May 13, 2018 5:27 pm

MDDad wrote:Source of the post Omar, is "wallowing under 24,000" kind of like wallowing on the 99th floor of the Empire State Building, or wallowing somewhere just above Base Camp on Everest?

Were you under the mistaken impression that the Dow has a finite upper limit? How about discussing what I actually wrote...compared to 26,616, 23,924 is wallowing.
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun May 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Were you under the mistaken impression that the Dow has a finite upper limit?

No, were you under the mistaken impression that the Dow only goes up?

...compared to 26,616, 23,924 is wallowing...

Yes, and compared to 18,332, it's pretty good. I suppose the Dow starting point one chooses is determined by one's agenda.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon May 14, 2018 7:15 am

Did you even bother to read the thread?

The Professor took exception to me saying 3 weeks ago that "the honeymoon is over" by emerging from his bunker and pointing out that the Dow went up last week. I backed up my statement by pointing out that before last week's uptick, it was at about the same level it was 6 months ago.

I'm not sure what your point is since neither of us is saying it hasn't gone up since Trump took office, it's been going up for the last 9 years

Up to speed now?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon May 14, 2018 8:00 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Up to speed now?

Thanks, Omar. I'm sure there's no way I could ever be up to speed without your help.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon May 14, 2018 8:22 am

MDDad, I agree with that statement.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
I'm not sure what your point is since neither of us is saying it hasn't gone up since Trump took office, it's been going up for the last 9 years
Shhh--such talk is not allowed in this new Trump era, where everything that is good just took place over the last year due to Great Leader's flawless decisions.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon May 14, 2018 10:27 am

More on long term trends from MSNBC.

On unemployment, Trump was born on third base, thinks he hit a triple

Those who visit the White House’s online homepage right now are greeted with a headline that happens to be true: “Unemployment Falls Below 4 Percent for the First Time Since 2000.” Those who click on the headline are presented with an impressive boast:

The national unemployment rate fell to 3.9 percent, the first time it has fallen below 4 percent since the year 2000 and well below the pre-recession average of 5.3 percent. […]

WHY: President Donald J. Trump’s historic tax cuts, deregulation, and pro-growth policies are creating jobs and restoring confidence in America’s economy.

And with all the whining about deficits during the Obama Administration, there is not a peep over the trillion dollars of debt being added during Trump's first fiscal year.
Attachments
5.8.18.png

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 am

WHY: President Donald J. Trump’s historic tax cuts, deregulation, and pro-growth policies are creating jobs and restoring confidence in America’s economy.

Quite possibly somewhat true if you look at the chart.

Return to “The Economy”