Why the Stock Market Doesnt Like Republicans

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Why the Stock Market Doesnt Like Republicans

Post by John Q. Public »

At least it's an ongoing expense. But I don't know anything about their turnover. And it's Starbucks! What's next, Professor, boasting about Costco?
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Starbucks management is notoriously liberal. Even they admit these windfalls are from the Trump/GOP tax reform bill, which the Democrats said was awful, and would be hung on the GOP around their necks "like an albatross" whatever that means.

I found it. “ The Rime of the Ancient Mariner,” in which a sailor who shoots a friendly albatross is forced to wear its carcass around his neck as punishment.

Some punishment. :lol:
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Professor Fate wrote: Even they admit these windfalls are from the Trump/GOP tax reform bill
"Admit"? Interesting word choice there...like the companies that got caught trying to credit the Trump Corporate/Donor Giveaway for their bonuses rather than "admit" it was something that was already agreed to...
Professor Fate wrote: Starbucks management is notoriously liberal
I think famously is the word you were looking for here :wink:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Professor Fate wrote: Starbucks management is notoriously liberal. Even they admit these windfalls are from the Trump/GOP tax reform bill, which the Democrats said was awful, and would be hung on the GOP around their necks "like an albatross" whatever that means.
You seem to have only caught one sentence from the volumes of discussion on the subject.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Ivanka Trump

Verified account

@IvankaTrump
Jan 23
More Ivanka Trump Retweeted fastFT
Another major announcement due to #TaxCuts. #JPMorgan Chase just committed to raise wages for 22K workers, increase lending to small businesses, open 400 new branches* and invest $20 billion in the US over the next 5 years!

*That investment includes opening 400 new bank branches and hiring some 4,000 new employees, 3,000 of which will work at the new locations.

Also,

Home Depot is giving its employees bonuses because of tax reform Home Depot is giving its employees bonuses because of tax reform
12:51 PM ET Thu, 25 Jan 2018 | 00:37
Home Depot is awarding its hourly employees in the U.S. a one-time cash bonus of as much as $1,000 following the passage of new tax legislation.

The bonus amounts will be determined based on a person's length of service, similar to Walmart's strategy. All of Home Depot's U.S. hourly workers will get at least a $200 bonus, a spokeswoman told CNBC, and the maximum payout is $1,000 for workers who've served at least 20 years.

"This incremental investment in our associates was made possible by the new tax reform bill," Chief Executive Officer Craig Menear said in prepared remarks. "We are pleased to be able to provide this additional reward to our associates."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/25/home-de ... eform.html
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

FYI Home Depot's net earnings for the third quarter of fiscal 2017 alone were $2.2 billion..."Bonus" must have tested better in focus groups than "temporary $.096/hr. raise"

Home Depot joins Starbucks Corp., Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Apple Inc and other U.S. corporate giants in devoting some of their expected tax savings to employees. Still, the long-term benefit for workers is less clear. Many of the payouts have taken the form of one-time bonuses rather than permanent raises.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... er-tax-cut
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

To make it even more meaningless, Home Depot has very few hourly people who've been there for 20 years. They had a mass exodus about 15 years ago when they stopped hiring tradesmen and switched to lower-wage clerks. Now their turnover probably isn't any different than Walmart's.

And again, one-time, windfall bonuses mean nothing in the long term.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

The Dow was down over 300 points today! Darn that Obama!
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Hey Prof., I realize you're probably busy cherry-picking polls, but how about that stock market? Tired of all the winning?
George Will

Donald Trump
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

it's Obama's fault! :mrgreen:

The market was just having a tantrum because the economy is doing so well, that interest rates are going to go up.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

It's more of a market correction caused by profit takers more than investors. They bought in as the market was rising and sold at the first sign of a dip, causing a further drop. All triggered by a healthier than expected jobs report.

Trump is good for business and being good for business is good for stocks.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Summed up in one picture.
Attachments
10049798_web1_webap_050712010763.jpg
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

not4u13 wrote: Trump is good for business and being good for business is good for stocks.
Hmm...are you sure? The stock market doesn't seem to agree.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

VP, you know better than that. The stock market didn't change its mind about Trump overnight. Corrections are as normal as a burp after a heavy meal.
sugarcoat

Post by sugarcoat »

We will see a tremendous fall in the market, a tremendous fall in Trump's ratings. Trump will get rid of more and more "advisors" before Trump himself is gotten rid of because he is tremendously inept as a leader. Then Pence, prayer, and God will rule our great country. In God We Trust - Pence will bring us back.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

sugarcoat wrote: Pence will bring us back.
Back to what? Where did we go?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

MDDad wrote: VP, you know better than that. The stock market didn't change its mind about Trump overnight.
Well, let's see the trump supporters crow about the market now.

As a matter of fact, I don't think the market really cares about trump one way or the other.

You know MDDad, I seem to recall the big complaint about Obama was all the "uncertainty" in the economy. I'm wondering if that uncertainty still exists or are people quite certain that trump is a lunatic?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

sugarcoat wrote: Then Pence, prayer, and God will rule our great country.
Well, you'll have to scrap the Constitution first.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Vilepagan wrote:Well, let's see the trump supporters crow about the market now.
That's really all this is about, isn't it? Neither side on this forum can stomach the other side crowing about anything. It seems we've reached the point where a 1,100-point drop in market value is seen as a cause for joy and ridicule because it allows some of us to lord it over the others. Neener-neener is a childish response regardless of which side uses it.
As a matter of fact, I don't think the market really cares about trump one way or the other.
I agree... or any other president either.
You know MDDad, I seem to recall the big complaint about Obama was all the "uncertainty" in the economy. I'm wondering if that uncertainty still exists or are people quite certain that trump is a lunatic?
All this may be true. But the fact remains "people" didn't suddenly decide Trump is a "lunatic" overnight. This is much more likely a correction to bring stock prices more in line with fundamentals.
sugarcoat

Post by sugarcoat »

Wabash wrote:Back to what? Where did we go?
Back to being Great Again. It will take the strong leadership of someone with faith to - Make America Great Again
America will be made great again when we have a leader who trusts in God. It's "In God We Trust" get it straight and keep it strong. Strong leadership has its root in GOD ALONE.