Real Jobs!?

broman

Real Jobs!?

Postby broman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Touting the first jobs report of Donald Trump’s tenure, White House press secretary Sean Spicer claimed without evidence Friday that the jobs figures “may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.”

“In the past, the president has referred to particular job reports as phony or totally fiction,” a reporter asked. “Does the president believe that this jobs report was accurate and a fair way to measure the economy?”

“I talked to the president prior to this, and he said to quote him very clearly,” Spicer said. “They may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/t ... cer-235936

Almost forget about the "Brady Report"
This is a great report. The fact that hundreds of thousands more people found new jobs last month is a good sign that our economy is moving in the right direction.
Note: The Department of Labor reported today the economy added 235,000 jobs in February and the unemployment rate was 4.7 percent.
https://waysandmeans.house.gov/brady-st ... bs-report/

But...... One year ago

While it’s good news that more Americans have joined the labor force, it’s disappointing to see so little growth in full time work and wages.
Note: The Department of Labor reported today the economy added 242,000 jobs in February and the unemployment rate remained 4.9 percent.
https://waysandmeans.house.gov/39841259-2/

'Post-Truth Is Pre-Fascism

Wabash

Re: Real Jobs!?

Postby Wabash » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:17 pm

The labor participation rate talking point has almost disappeared from conservative media. I was surprised when Trump tried to push that narrative at his speech to a joint session of congress.

Smart people knew it was BS because of its composition.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Some of it could be because of Trump, but except in rare cases, February is always better than January.

The number he quoted in his speech - 94 million, I believe - was all Americans 16 and older who weren't working, including full-time students, stay-at-home parents and retirees.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Unemployment is really 9.2%. Those numbers are complete BS.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:31 am

broman wrote:“I talked to the president prior to this, and he said to quote him very clearly,” Spicer said. “They may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.”

The best part is how the reporters all started laughing, and even Sean Spicer started laughing!
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:55 am

joefutbol wrote:Unemployment is really 9.2%. Those numbers are complete BS.

What's BS are the GOP talking points about the "real" unemployment rate. Now that a GOP is president that rhetoric has disappeared.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:21 am

joefutbol wrote:Unemployment is really 9.2%. Those numbers are complete BS.

Wabash wrote:What's BS are the GOP talking points about the "real" unemployment rate.

I think what's really BS is anybody in Washington or on this forum pretending to know what the "real" unemployment rate is, especially since there are probably a dozen definitions of the term. A rate is one number divided by another, and when both the numerator and denominator are murky estimates, the resulting "rate" has to be taken with a grain of salt, if not outright incredulity. Add to that the ambiguous meaning of what it means to be "employed", and the rate number becomes almost meaningless. I guy working a temp job or a part-time job is considered employed. A 30-year department manager or shop foreman who gets laid off and finds a new career as a Walmart greeter or McDonald's "assistant manager" is considered employed. A guy with a masters degree in molecular biology or astrophysics working as a barista at Starbucks is considered employed.

The one number that used to be somewhat meaningful is "new jobs created". Now however, since many of those new jobs are temporary, part-time, contract or downgraded and lower paying, even that number has become specious.

Until we resolve all the ambiguities and inconsistencies in the definitions, formulas and raw numbers, any effort to define the "real unemployment rate" is little more than a political tool and a silly joke.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:11 am

I was being sarcastic. I haven't hear the term "real unemployment rate" since some time in late January.

broman

Postby broman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:23 am

MDDad wrote:I think what's really BS is anybody in Washington or on this forum pretending to know what the "real" unemployment rate is

The claim is the numbers were "fake" under Obama and "real" under Trump. Nothing to speculate about these claims are very specific.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:36 am

I tried to be a little more macro than just the numbers under Obama and Trump. The reality is that both parties and all administrations try to make political hay by twisting numbers, trumpeting some while poo-pooing others. It's a practice as sold as politics, and I hope everyone here would agree that it's a disease common to all politicians. Jimmying the numbers is a good way to misrepresent without actually lying, and it doesn't take long for all of them to get pretty good at it.

broman

Postby broman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:38 pm

MDDad wrote: Jimmying the numbers is a good way to misrepresent without actually lying

Jimmying the numbers vs. claiming the whole process is completely fraudulent is on two different levels. That is the danger of the Trump/Bannon world view.... absolute truth or absolute falsehood.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:50 pm

I was under the understanding Trump openly scorned the election, polls, and newspaper stories as all being rigged.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:00 pm

MDDad wrote:I think what's really BS is anybody in Washington or on this forum pretending to know what the "real" unemployment rate is, especially since there are probably a dozen definitions of the term.

Which isn't really the point. The point is how the current administration once derided those numbers as inaccurate and now embraces them.

Keep in mind Trump has been claiming that he inherited a disaster.

broman

Postby broman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:01 am

Mick Mulvaney told CNN's Jake Tapper on Sunday that he has long thought the previous administration framed data to make the unemployment rate "look smaller than it actually was."
"What you should really look at is the number of jobs created," Mulvaney said on "State of the Union." "We've thought for a long time, I did, that the Obama administration was manipulating the numbers, in terms of the number of people in the workforce, to make the unemployment rate -- that percentage rate -- look smaller than it actually was."
http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/12/news/ec ... index.html

Fascist march continues

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:15 am

They are so full of it.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:32 am

The number of jobs created hasn't been a good number to look at since before Walmart went national.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Return to “The Economy”