Wages Rise and 200,000 Jobs Added

Professor Fate

Wages Rise and 200,000 Jobs Added

Post by Professor Fate »

U.S. employers added a robust 200,000 jobs in January, and wages rose at the fastest pace in more than eight years, encouraging trends that suggest that the economy may accelerate this year.

The unemployment rate remained 4.1 percent, the lowest level since 2000, the Labor Department said in its monthly jobs report Friday.

The pay gains show that employers are increasingly competing for a narrower pool of workers with the U.S. expansion now in its ninth year. Raises stemming from Republican tax cuts and minimum wage increases in 18 states also likely boosted pay last month. The figures point to an economy on strong footing, fueled by consumer spending and global growth.

The pickup in wages could make it likelier that the Federal Reserve will raise short-term interest rates more quickly in coming months. In anticipation of inflation pressures and of a possible acceleration of Fed rate hikes, investors sent the yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note surging after the jobs report was released. The yield reached 2.84 percent, from 2.79 percent before the jobs report was released.

Stock prices also plunged after the jobs report was issued, partly in response to the prospect of higher rates as well as to poor earnings reports from Google's parent company Alphabet, Exxon Mobile and Chevron.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... li=BBnb7Kz
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Fordama

Re: Wages Rise and 200,000 Jobs Added

Post by Fordama »

Good to see the Obama era recovery continue.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

I'm sure you'll call it the Obama era recovery until the day the next Democrat moves into the Oval Office.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Now that's funny. The Bush economy lasted until there was an upturn. Everything was Bush's fault. Stands to reason now the Obama economy will last until the next downturn.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

I can read graphs. I understand how trend lines work.

To support Trump all one has to do is either deny basic math or just not know it.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Bick

Post by Bick »

Apparently neither MDD or I don't know basic math, and can't read a calendar either.

What date did the Obama economy start, and what date does it end?
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Honest question -- can you answer that?
Bick

Post by Bick »

Joe - if you're talking to me, I used to think it ran from Inauguration Day to Inauguration Day. Apparently that's all changed.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Bick wrote: What date did the Obama economy start, and what date does it end?
The Obama recovery started in June, 2009.
Bick wrote:
The Bush economy lasted until there was an upturn.
The recession Bush handed off to Obama started in December of 2007. There was no upturn.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Bick

Post by Bick »

Economy Wabash...not recovery.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Trump didn't pass any major policy or change anything significant that in and of itself caused the economy to become better. Stocks went up on speculation he would favor business and he has. It's easy to see when you look at the trend lines that this trend began well before Trump took office and has continued. Hard to give Trump full credit for something that was already happening. Economists frequently tell us that any changes to the economy that happen during the first year of a President's term could not be caused by that President but rather are much more likely to be due to the previous President. It takes longer for people to feel the changes and for them to show up in economic indicators (like a Jobs report) than you might imagine.

That said. I don't think it matters much who turned the ship around. It's now going in the right direction. Now the question is, will it continue? How fast and how far?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

not4u13 wrote:Economists frequently tell us that any changes to the economy that happen during the first year of a President's term could not be caused by that President but rather are much more likely to be due to the previous President.
Or, more likely, neither or them. Most presidents receive much more credit for what the economy does than they probably deserve.

On the other hand, if millions of people started investing in the stock market in anticipation of a Trump presidency and a more favorable climate for business, that must certainly be credited to Trump and not Obama.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

Bick wrote:Apparently neither MDD or I don't know basic math, and can't read a calendar either.
No, you simply shove reality through a partisan filter.
Bick

Post by Bick »

I can see why you might say that.

So back to the question...What date did the Obama economy start, and what date does it end?
Bick

Post by Bick »

not4u13 wrote: That said. I don't think it matters much who turned the ship around. It's now going in the right direction. Now the question is, will it continue? How fast and how far?
You'll get some resistance on whether or not we're headed in the right direction, but you're correct...it doesn't matter who turned the ship around - not to me anyway. What's important is the decisions that were made, and an objective analysis of whether or not they were helpful.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

CES0000000001_2667432_1517722361912.gif
CES0000000001_2667432_1517722361912.gif (6.74 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
https://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputSe ... E_cesbref1
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed the broken image
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Paul Ryan's deleted tweet.

And if she's extra thrifty she'll be able to buy a hot dog.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Bick wrote: What date did the Obama economy start, and what date does it end?
I think this graphic says something about that but I'm not sure what, exactly.

It's for their first years.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

John Q. Public wrote: And if she's extra thrifty she'll be able to buy a hot dog.
I like their hot dogs.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Bick wrote:You'll get some resistance on whether or not we're headed in the right direction, but you're correct...it doesn't matter who turned the ship around - not to me anyway. What's important is the decisions that were made, and an objective analysis of whether or not they were helpful.
I think it's hard to argue that our economy is better now that it was 10 years ago when we were in a recession. History is the best judge of the impact that leadership decisions have on the economy. One thing most people agree on though, the condition of the economy has little or nothing to do with the actions taken during the first year a President is in office. The tax cut this administration passed (which is the single biggest thing it has done) will certainly help economic growth even if it does horrible things to the national debt.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com