Steel Tariffs

Wabash

Re: Steel Tariffs

Post by Wabash »

Keep in mind. When the GOP took over the House in 2010, they promised a Jobs Bill would be their top priority.

Eight years and no Jobs Bill.

And here we are.
Attachments
46950761_1924760334246557_197140167117504512_n.jpg
46950761_1924760334246557_197140167117504512_n.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 870 times
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
broman

Post by broman »

In the 1980s, American steelmakers needed 10.1 man-hours to produce a ton of steel; now they need 1.5 man-hours (see chart above), says Joe Innace of S&P Global Platts. Most American steel is now made at super-efficient mini mills, which use electric arc furnaces to turn scrap metal into steel. (Traditional integrated steel mills make steel from scratch, feeding iron ore and coking coal into blast furnaces. Some mini-mills need just 0.5 man-hours to produce a ton of steel.
http://www.aei.org/publication/the-main ... ming-back/

Same thing happened to the coal miners. More efficient production reduces the number of jobs.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

There was a time that if one's only skill set was manual dexterity, one could get a job that paid middle class wages.

Those days are long gone. And they aren't coming back.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Bingo. Which increases the insanity of bringing in unskilled immigrants in large numbers.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

How long till Donald announces he's personally negotiated the greatest deal in history to keep 3 of the GM plants operating in exchange for federal educational assistance to train auto workers to build electric and autonomous cars?

I wonder how tall Mary Barra is.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

MDDad wrote:Bingo. Which increases the insanity of bringing in unskilled immigrants in large numbers.
Great idea. Let's force those auto workers to go work in the fields. Or car washes. Or hotels. Or motels.

Wow! I think you're on to something.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Which increases the insanity of bringing in unskilled immigrants in large numbers

As we all know there are plenty of jobs that need doing that Americans won't do because they don't pay middle class wages
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Yup. This is the same group that Clinton told she wanted to retrain for the jobs and industries of the future. They voted for Trump. It's hard for me to get to worked up over their plight.

I will send thoughts and prayers.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pointless quote removed

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

John Q. Public wrote: How long till Donald announces he's personally negotiated the greatest deal in history to keep 3 of the GM plants operating in exchange for federal educational assistance to train auto workers to build electric and autonomous cars?
The gambit worked. And I'm sure AOC will be pleased to see that they want to make electric trucks. Not too sure about truck buyers, though. They aren't exactly "on-board" with electric vehicles. (See "rolling coal.")

Don't look at me, I just work here.