‘I Am a Tariff Man’ - WSJ Editorial

Luca

Re: ‘I Am a Tariff Man’ - WSJ Editorial

Post by Luca »

Not bad, Wabash, except that Donald Trump is the President, the tariffs he proposed were very real, uncontrolled border violations are not a “fake problem”, and he didn’t create it.

Four self evident inaccuracies in a single sentence would be a record for anyone else………………………………Luca
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Uh......yeah.

Just as long as you realize (which you may not) that tariffs are a de facto tax. Guess who is paying it?....Wabash
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Uh...No.

I didn't see you mention the fact that absolutely NOBODY has to pay that so-called "de facto tax." Just don't buy those goods. Duh!

Part of the point of Trump's tariffs, is to make cheap imports not so cheap anymore. That way you will be less likely to buy them. THAT's how they hurt China, or Mexico, or whoever the target of the tariffs is.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Easy if you're a hermit. Difficult for the rest of us. Even more difficult if your livelihood depends on so much as one imported part in an otherwise "Made In the USA" product.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

But ya know.... I think Mexico should have reciprocated (if they didn't). With the amount of cross-border manufacturing that's done these days, they probably have a good amount of bargaining power.
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Professor Fate wrote: I didn't see you mention the fact that absolutely NOBODY has to pay that so-called "de facto tax." Just don't buy those goods. Duh!
Excellent argument. If you don't like the tariffs just don't buy anything made in Mexico...or partially made in Mexico...or that uses any parts or products or ingredients from Mexico. So if you manufacture guacamole, get your avocados from Canada.
Part of the point of Trump's tariffs, is to make cheap imports not so cheap anymore. That way you will be less likely to buy them. THAT's how they hurt China, or Mexico, or whoever the target of the tariffs is.
But isn't that also how they hurt the Americans who buy these things and who in many cases assist in their manufacture by making parts, by providing raw materials etc.?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Professor Fate wrote: I didn't see you mention the fact that absolutely NOBODY has to pay that so-called "de facto tax." Just don't buy those goods. Duh!
Uh.....yeah. Let's see how that well that works for those Americans who benefit from trade with Mexico.......Wabash
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

The Professor's, and Trump's, argument also ignores the overwhelmingly difficult challenge of re-sourcing all that stuff. Whether it's toasters, fuel pumps, medical devices, produce or rare-earth metals, that isn't a process that can be easily done or done in a reasonable amount of time - especially in the many cases where an American source for those things doesn't exist.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Vilepagan wrote: Excellent argument. If you don't like the tariffs just don't buy anything made in Mexico...or partially made in Mexico...or that uses any parts or products or ingredients from Mexico. So if you manufacture guacamole, get your avocados from Canada.
Wah! Pabst Blue Ribbon is better than Dos XXX anyway.

Avocados...seriously? When I was living in California there was a house on Barclay Drive in Garden Grove that had an avocado tree in the front yard. What a freakin' mess. If you know someone with an avocado tree I'm quite sure they would thank you for picking up some of those avocados.

If not...well, I pay $2 per avocado now, and I'm sure it's less in California. A 5% increase in the cost of that avocado means I'd have to pay what?...$2.10? What a freakin' nightmare!

Bananas?...My wife already insists on Ecuadorian bananas, so I'm good there.

You guys crack me up.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Professor Fate wrote: You guys crack me up.
I wish I could say that about you and your guy. Your guy's just a nightmare.
Professor Fate wrote: Avocados...seriously?
Just one small example...not meant to be too serious, but do enjoy your laugh.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Boy, there's a "let them eat cake" argument if ever there was one. It isn't just avocados. The growing season is much longer in Mexico, so it's most of the produce we eat (and process) between September and about now. And the farms? Owned by 'Murican companies, for the most part. Same with the manufacturing and warehousing concerns along the border.

Bizarre that after all those years of criticizing the commies for their empty store shelves and people having to subsist on sausages, potatoes and pickles through the winter, Trumpists want to force America into that situation. There's a reason why the world's colder climes aren't exactly known for their culinary traditions and it isn't really something most of us would like to have to switch to, not even the Trump fans if they were to stop and actually think for half a second.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

John Q. Public wrote: Trump fans if they were to stop and actually think for half a second.
The operative word there is "think."

One neighbor's sloppiness is now indicative of how an entire industry functions.

Which didn't change my earlier point that tariffs are a de facto tax being paid by Americans.

Where is Grover Norquist?

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

John Q. Public wrote: It isn't just avocados. The growing season is much longer in Mexico, so it's most of the produce we eat (and process) between September and about now.
C'mon John. Don't confuse these people with facts. They have a buffoon to support and that's what they're going to do, reality and common sense notwithstanding.