Uncertainty anyone?

Vilepagan

Re: Uncertainty anyone?

Postby Vilepagan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:01 am

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post Whoopsies! I saw that the Dow went straight down 150 points...

Seems to be going a bit lower today as well...but not to worry, all this uncertainty is fine, no problem for the economy whatsoever...as long as there isn't a black Democrat in the WH in which case this uncertainty and volatility would be a disaster.

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:31 am

"a bit lower"

Master of understatement. Down 600 points on Chinese currency manipulation in response to Don's tariffs. Now if the stable genius can only convince the Fed to start manipulating the Dollar like he's been trying to do for the last 6 months....
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:06 am

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post Master of understatement.

Well, I wouldn't want to upset anyone.

I'm not worried...after all, our fearless leader is a business genius who has all the best people working for him, and all those foreign leaders he has really great relationships with...it can only end well for us...I'm almost tired of all this winning.

In truth though, it will be a very bleak election for trump if the economy takes a dump.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:24 pm

I get the feeling he only sees the business climate in terms of what it means for his own business. He seems to know nothing about other sectors and he just extended his tariffs to toys and electronics just in time for Christmas. :fan:

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:04 am

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post He seems to know nothing about other sectors and he just extended his tariffs to toys and electronics just in time for Christmas

Well, he decided that wouldn't be good for his reelection chances, so he changed his mind...again.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:40 am

I don't know about electronics these days, with mid-year phone introductions, but the toy category does as much as 70% of its business in the fourth quarter. It's a horrible time to be putting an additional tax on them. Pushing it back till after Christmas is almost meaningless to the consumer. Once the gift cards are spent, the toy business goes dead until Spring and electronics doesn't pick up until someone introduces a new phone or game system, which wouldn't be likely in the first quarter.

However, the industry uses the first quarter to re-fill the pipeline and new models are introduced in March, so watch for price increases then.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 am

"Their paralyzing uncertainty is driven by the president’s veering from one position to another. Businesses seem increasingly convinced that he doesn’t understand the basics of international economics."

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... ncertainty

Wull, duh. What was their first clue?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:58 am

Wouldn't the buyers of major retail outlets already placed their orders for the holidays?

I don't know about the industry. But I have to believe they don't wait till the last minute.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:44 am

Buying starts around 6 to 9 months before Christmas but replenishment runs into December. I've even seen manufacturers air-freight surprise breakout items in December.

But some companies have been importing through Mexico for the last 5 years or so, so his tariffs would only affect the ones who don't. But it would give the others an opportunity to raise prices.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:50 am

Clueless panicking in 560 characters or less.

RPW

Postby RPW » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:54 pm

In a nutshell, real true Republicans do not accept this crap. The ones that sit by idle and allow this to happen from the POTUS are radical red people that marry their cousins.
I am The Voice of Reason

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:39 am

Geez, what'd he say now?

50 pt drop.jpg

Return to “The Economy”