California Regulations

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by Fordama » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:57 pm

tLIB wrote:
Where did I say that? Give me a quote.
Kramer manufactures conspiracies in his head.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by tLIB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:10 pm

kramer wrote:

Why?
Whose fault is it that Obama got elected? Plus, look at the last President - who voted for him?

We can sit around an blame others for what happens to us, but we can't change them. We can only change ourselves.

Here is one thing we should have changed: Look at all of the Republicans who voted for the TARP program. Nearly all of them got re-elected. Now those Republicans are complaining about the big spending Democrats? Give me a break!

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by tLIB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:14 pm

kramer wrote: GM and Chrysler had to be bailed out mainly because of unions. ...
And what did the Republicans do when they controlled the Congress AND the Whitehouse for those years recently? Besides run up the debt, pass the Patriot Acts, and wage a mistaken war? It cracks me up when I see Republicans point at the Democrats and say "They voted for the war too."

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by tLIB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Fordama wrote:Kramer manufactures conspiracies in his head.

Fordama
Yah, it is all the fault of the bad liberals...

User avatar
Logic.in.LN
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:09 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by Logic.in.LN » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:09 am

Fordama wrote:I'm buying a house right now. It needs work. I'm glad that there are a series of regulations regarding inspection and suitability of construction.

Fordama
If you think those will protect you, you are doomed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former”
– Albert Einstein


Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, jut wait until you see our solutions.

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by kramer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 am

Fordama wrote:Kramer manufactures conspiracies in his head.

Fordama
Such as?...
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by Fordama » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:15 am

Logic.in.LN wrote: If you think those will protect you, you are doomed.
They have already been a great help.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by kramer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:24 am

tLIB wrote:
Whose fault is it that Obama got elected?
As far as I'm concerned, he got elected mainly from the following 3 (in no particular order) reasons:
1) The economic mess. (part of which was caused by the desire of liberals in government to help more low income people own homes)
2) The MSM love affair with him.
3) The Iraqi war.

tLIB wrote: Plus, look at the last President - who voted for him?
Not me. I balied on him about 1 to 2 years before the '04 election when it was clear to me he was no conservative Republican. It took Buckley a few years later to figure this out. I guess that makes me smarter than Buckley... :wink:
tLIB wrote: Here is one thing we should have changed: Look at all of the Republicans who voted for the TARP program. Nearly all of them got re-elected. Now those Republicans are complaining about the big spending Democrats? Give me a break!
But there is a difference tLIB. I believe the politicians who voted for TARP voted for it because they thought the economy was going to collapse. If I was a congressman and I was in the same situation where the entire banking system might collapse in a few days, I'd probably have voted for it as well. But I would never have voted for the porkulus bill.

So how many Republicans do you think voted for the porkulus bill?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by kramer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:43 am

tLIB wrote:
And what did the Republicans do when they controlled the Congress AND the Whitehouse for those years recently? Besides run up the debt, pass the Patriot Acts, and wage a mistaken war? It cracks me up when I see Republicans point at the Democrats and say "They voted for the war too."
There's no arguing that the debt increased under them. But part of the increase is coming from the increased costs of democratic social programs for reasons such as more boomers on medicare and the social costs from 12 to 30 million illegals. And what are Republicans supposed to do, raise taxes to pay for these programs--they're damed if they do and damed if they don't. About the only way out of this is to gut these programs but it's next to impossible to get rid of a government program once it's passed.

On the Patriot act, Obama supports extending it. About the only reason why that I can think of is that there is indeed a clear and present danger from terrorism that we aren't being told about.

The Iraqi war is no doubt a blemish but, we did find over 500 artillery shells find with still deadly Mustard gas (a WMD) and Israel is much safer now from suicide bombings. Do these two good things justify the war? Not to me.
And there was evidence of heavy transport activity right before the war started that points to Iraq sending their WMD (or something they didn't want us to find) to Syria. But because they couldn't verify what was sent, they concluded that no WMD was shipped.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by kramer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:45 am

tLIB wrote:
Yah, it is all the fault of the bad liberals...
Where did I say it's "all" the fault of liberals?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:46 am

tLIB wrote:
Yah, it is all the fault of the bad liberals...
kramer wrote: Where did I say it's "all" the fault of liberals?
It's a quid pro quo with you.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by GOODave » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:01 am

tLIB wrote:It cracks me up when I see Republicans point at the Democrats and say "They voted for the war too."
Why does that crack you up?

Is it because those republicans refuse to acknowledge their vote was wrong

or

Is it because you don't think the Democrats also supported the incursion into Iraq?

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:28 am

tLIB wrote:


What about the fire departments. Should they become private?
Then we would have to pay for fire insurance?? A city fire department protects the whole community, not just the ones who signed up for the insurance. This would be one of the socalistic programs I think is necessary. Kinda like the army, or the police.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by tLIB » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:50 pm

I used to think the Fire Departments should be private Trog, but now I agree with you. 9-11 and the Fire Dept are great.

Kramer. I blame the Republicans for getting Obama elected. Look at all those who supported President Bush, and then who did we pick for the nominee? "100 year occupation" John McCain.

I never voted for Bush BUT my wife and I were ecstatic that Gore did not win. Looking back, I doubt Gore could have done worse, especially with the Republicans controlling congress. It is a bad combination to have Republicans in the WH and Congress at the same time.

Dave, it cracks me up because they are playing a blatant political game. They voted to give corporations nearly a trillion dollars and then they are hot of being fiscal conservative.

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by tLIB » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:53 pm

kramer wrote:
There's no arguing that the debt increased under them. But part of the increase is coming from the increased costs of democratic social programs for reasons such as more boomers on medicare and the social costs from 12 to 30 million illegals.
And my question was - why didn't the Republicans do something when they were in power? That is one reason why I was a Libertarian all of those years. They are all a bunch of hypocrites.

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by tLIB » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:59 pm

kramer wrote: But there is a difference tLIB. I believe the politicians who voted for TARP voted for it because they thought the economy was going to collapse. If I was a congressman and I was in the same situation where the entire banking system might collapse in a few days, I'd probably have voted for it as well.
That is the excuse for the stimulus bills - that all of a sudden the Republicans hate. They favored throwing money at the big banks but not building roads etc. What did the big banks do with the money? Buy smaller banks and other assets. Perhaps letting the banking system collapse would have been the best way to get rid of the Federal Reserve. But we can agree to disagree on TARP.
kramer wrote: But I would never have voted for the porkulus bill.
Because it didn't go to the right contributors. It was a candy store for Democrats. There are other bills with tons of earmarks going through right now to benefit Republicans.

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by kramer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:55 pm

tLIB wrote:
Kramer. I blame the Republicans for getting Obama elected. Look at all those who supported President Bush, and then who did we pick for the nominee? "100 year occupation" John McCain.
"We" didn't pick him. He was picked for us and part of the reason why is that he isn't that much different than Obama.
tLIB wrote:I never voted for Bush BUT my wife and I were ecstatic that Gore did not win. Looking back, I doubt Gore could have done worse, especially with the Republicans controlling congress.
Gore wanted cap-and-trade passed which is a national economic altering bill. If that had passed, we'd be far worse off than we are now.

tLIB wrote: It is a bad combination to have Republicans in the WH and Congress at the same time.

Ok, and right now we have Dems in the WH and congress, let's see what better things they in store for us...

1) Cap-and-trade. This will be a drag on our economy because hundreds of things that we buy use oil will either cost more, stop being made, or be made off shore. In addition, part of those taxes will be sent offshore to help development projects in third world nations, specifically on things like infrastructure. Why build infrastructure in those countries? To help fulfill the UN's poverty reduction goals. And once these countries have infrastructure, they expect us to send them jobs so they can build things to sell to us.

2) Healthcare reform. Obama said he wasn't going to sign a bill that adds one dime to our deficits (which could mean more than one dime will be added). He also said that the project cost was something like 900 billion dollars over ten years. Since when has the government accurately projected social program costs? They were off by a factor of 9 when the predicted the cost of medicare out to 1990. In addition, if amnesty passes, there will be 12 to 30 million more people getting healthcare that I doubt are factored into the cost estimates. On top of this, they want to bring in their extended family members which could bump the number to well over 70 million new people getting healthcare and other social programs. I predict that if healthcare (with a public option) passes and they pass amnesty, the debt will approach 0.1 Quadrillion dollars in about 20 years.

3) Amnesty. Bringing in 12 to 30 million new workers (and who knows how many more with their extended family members) with little to no skills while we are sending millions of jobs offshore is to me, economic insanity, especially if cap-and-trade passes.


I doubt Republicans could top those 3 beauties.

But since you feel that Republicans suck worse than Democrats, you should be supporting amnesty. If passed, this will cement the democratic party in power for the next 100 years.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by kramer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:03 pm

tLIB wrote:
And my question was - why didn't the Republicans do something when they were in power?
First of all, it's next to impossible to get rid of a massive social program once it's passed into law.
Second, many of those Republicans aren't real Republicans. They are neo-cons (liberals who switched to the RNC) and don't quite have the same core beliefs as true conservative Republicans.


tLIB wrote: That is one reason why I was a Libertarian all of those years.
So what are you now, a liberal registered as a Republican?
tLIB wrote: They are all a bunch of hypocrites.
I disagree. I think the majority of them are hypocrites. There are a few good politicians, Ron Paul comes to mind.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by kramer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:16 pm

tLIB wrote: They favored throwing money at the big banks but not building roads etc.
They thought they were saving the economy, that is why they threw money at the banks. And as far as not wanting to give money to build roads, I don't agree with this in part because here in CA, republicans have been trying to keep the road taxes from being used on other projects. As for the national Republicans that voted against road repair, was this when the road bill had billions of other spending along with the road repairs? If so (and I believe this is the case), then good for the Republicans.

tLIB wrote: What did the big banks do with the money? Buy smaller banks and other assets. Perhaps letting the banking system collapse would have been the best way to get rid of the Federal Reserve. But we can agree to disagree on TARP.
I never said I supported TARP, I don't know enough about it to take a position. I assume if Republicans voted for it, it must have been for a good reason. That doesn't mean I support it.
I'm also not a fan of the Federal Reserve. I think it needs to go.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: California Regulations

Post by Troglodyte » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:16 am

tLIB wrote:
And my question was - why didn't the Republicans do something when they were in power? That is one reason why I was a Libertarian all of those years. They are all a bunch of hypocrites.
Kinda political suiciide to take away a bone that was tossed to the public after it has been given.
That's one of the dangers of this health insurance fiasco.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Post Reply