Magellan 9020T GPS Navigator 7 inch

If it doesn't fit anywhere else
Parrotpaul

Magellan 9020T GPS Navigator 7 inch

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Just picked up one of these at Costco for $149. This could get a chimpanzee from point A to point B, C or D. We dialed in a cactus store in Pasadena...amazing..took us to curb side on the nose. Anyone have one of these? They're great.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Troglodyte

Re: Magellan 9020T GPS Navigator 7 inch

Post by Troglodyte » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:03 am

Paul wrote:Just picked up one of these at Costco for $149. This could get a chimpanzee from point A to point B, C or D. We dialed in a cactus store in Pasadena...amazing..took us to curb side on the nose. Anyone have one of these? They're great.
This wouldn't be considered SPAM, now would it??? :ROFL: Sounds like a great deal....
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:59 am

Paul wrote:Just picked up one of these at Costco for $149. This could get a chimpanzee from point A to point B, C or D. We dialed in a cactus store in Pasadena...amazing..took us to curb side on the nose. Anyone have one of these? They're great.

These things are the new pagers. Doesn't your phone do the same thing?

Buc Pride

Post by Buc Pride » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:02 am

Take it back, Paul. Think of all the booze you can buy at COSTCO with the $149 saved.

All smart phones are equipped w/ google based GPS.
rent saw

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 am

Buc Pride wrote:Take it back, Paul. Think of all the booze you can buy at COSTCO with the $149 saved.

Plus it tells you a head of time if there is heavy traffic or delays :thumbsup:

Buc Pride

Post by Buc Pride » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:14 am

I was thinking about getting one of those new laser disc things, I hear the picture is pretty good.
rent saw

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:36 am

Buc Pride wrote:Take it back, Paul. Think of all the booze you can buy at COSTCO with the $149 saved.

I don't know what kind of smart phone you have Paul but I agree with Buc here. The newer phones have all the navigation you need. Google has voice navigation built in. I've used it on my Droidx several time.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:40 am

THe Nug wrote:

These things are the new pagers. Doesn't your phone do the same thing?
Naw...I have a Tracphone...use it only for school business. Plus it doesn't have a seven inch screen.....old eyes.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 am

SoMelo wrote:Plus it tells you a head of time if there is heavy traffic or delays :thumbsup:
Plus those pesky splits on the Interstates. Don't own a smart phone.

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:56 am

Paul wrote: Plus those pesky splits on the Interstates. Don't own a smart phone.
You can "upgrade" to a smart phone for free these days. Of course, it really isn't free. You've got to pay tax plus the mandatory monthly data plan charge. If all you really want is navigation then a stand-alone GPS is a good choice. But you get so much more from a smart phone than just Navigation. You can search for a nearby restaurant and look up the Yelp or Urbanspoon review ... on the spot. Imagine driving down the Interstate and wanting to stop for lunch. Hit a couple buttons on your navigation system and if you're lucky you might find a local restaurant, but only if it is "loaded" onto your particular map. Even then, you'll only know where it is, not what it is. On your smart phone you'll be given the local restaurant information (including how far away it is from where you are now) and you can look up reviews, browse their menu, etc. Of course, if you spend too much time you might just pass it by before you decide if you want to stop or not. Seriously, we found some pretty decent hole in the wall places using this method.

Newer cars with in-car navigation have many of the same features, except they lack the real-time traffic updates (well ... even they are getting there).

I also used my smart phone in Fry's to scan an item I was going to purchase and find it online at a lower price. Fry's matches Internet prices now. I've saved a bit that way ... on the spot.

So many things that you can do with them these days and the feature list keeps getting longer.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:00 pm

not4u13 wrote:
You can "upgrade" to a smart phone for free these days. Of course, it really isn't free. You've got to pay tax plus the mandatory monthly data plan charge. If all you really want is navigation then a stand-alone GPS is a good choice. But you get so much more from a smart phone than just Navigation. You can search for a nearby restaurant and look up the Yelp or Urbanspoon review ... on the spot. Imagine driving down the Interstate and wanting to stop for lunch. Hit a couple buttons on your navigation system and if you're lucky you might find a local restaurant, but only if it is "loaded" onto your particular map. Even then, you'll only know where it is, not what it is. On your smart phone you'll be given the local restaurant information (including how far away it is from where you are now) and you can look up reviews, browse their menu, etc. Of course, if you spend too much time you might just pass it by before you decide if you want to stop or not. Seriously, we found some pretty decent hole in the wall places using this method.

Newer cars with in-car navigation have many of the same features, except they lack the real-time traffic updates (well ... even they are getting there).

I also used my smart phone in Fry's to scan an item I was going to purchase and find it online at a lower price. Fry's matches Internet prices now. I've saved a bit that way ... on the spot.

So many things that you can do with them these days and the feature list keeps getting longer.
I hear what you are saying but the cost isn't worth the investment...for us. It's actually and probably a good idea to look into an iPhone. The bride is the gadget freak. The Magellan has paid for itself already. :mrgreen:

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:37 pm

not4u13 wrote:

The Magellan gives all the restaurants, motels, gas stations, parks, museums, coffee shops, government buildings and a variety of points of interest, and just about anything else we would ever need.....lifetime updates on maps and no monthly subscription fee. It has a plethora of information with the points of interests. Credit card use is still not a cumbersome activity. I like the Magellan's one time cost....and the seven inch screen.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:27 am

Paul wrote:

Plus those pesky splits on the Interstates. Don't own a smart phone.
I hate it when my phone is smarter than me.. How the hell do you take a picture and send it to someone???
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:59 am

Troglodyte wrote: I hate it when my phone is smarter than me.. How the hell do you take a picture and send it to someone???
What kind of phone do you have? On your text messages do you have a paperclip?