A nation of wimps

If it doesn't fit anywhere else
Luca

Re: A nation of wimps

Postby Luca » Sat May 11, 2013 10:54 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Kids really don't change all that much from generation to generation.......what causes all of the above can be different with each succeeding generation, IMO.

But it's getting worse, isn't it? I assumed it was, but I'm not a teacher...............Luca

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat May 11, 2013 11:06 am

Notorious wrote:ITT: Old people b!tch about young people, like every other generation that has preceded it.

Totally agree with that. Some of the people bitching about young people today were part of the group that attended Woodstock. I'm sure the old people in the late 60's (50+) were all saying to themselves, "I can't wait for that group to be in charge."
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat May 11, 2013 11:14 am

Luca wrote:
But it's getting worse, isn't it? I assumed it was, but I'm not a teacher...............Luca

Not in my opinion. Kids stay the same...everything else around them changes...kids adapt well to change.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat May 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:Not in my opinion. Kids stay the same...everything else around them changes...kids adapt well to change.
Your opinion is wrong.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat May 11, 2013 12:30 pm

How so?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Sat May 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:How so?

It doesn't matter. Brooke said you were wrong, and she's always right.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat May 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Good point.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Sat May 11, 2013 1:29 pm

I think Socrates nailed it
kids.jpg

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat May 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:How so?

There are posts here from different folks. Didn't you read them? I know you saw bullying, but you never speak about it. Why not? I know you have seen kids that cannot read, but you deny it. Why?

Is it that your ego is more important than the truth?

Why deny the truth, I really don't get that. Can you explain?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat May 11, 2013 3:29 pm

All you get is how to construct self-serving premises that have little relation to reality. You really do have some self-esteem issues.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat May 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:All you get is how to construct self-serving premises that have little relation to reality. You really do have some self-esteem issues.

Everything I talk about is related to reality. Everything I ask you to respond to happens in the real world.

I don't live in a fantasy world and tell lies.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun May 12, 2013 6:34 am

Brooke wrote:I don't live in a fantasy world and tell lies.

You may want to rethink that belief. Your writings don't reflect it.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Sun May 12, 2013 9:38 am

Parrotpaul wrote:All you get is how to construct self-serving premises that have little relation to reality. You really do have some self-esteem issues.

Kinda like the liberal's dream world?? :shock:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

kramer

Postby kramer » Sun May 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:The author of this Psychology Today contends parents are creating wimps by going overboard to smooth out the bumps of life their children face before reaching adulthood.

A Nation of Wimps

Parents are going to ludicrous lengths to take the bumps out of life for their children. However, parental hyperconcern has the net effect of making kids more fragile; that may be why they're breaking down in record numbers......

In changing the nature of childhood, Stearns argues, we've introduced a tendency to assume that children can't handle difficult situations. "Middle-class parents especially assume that if kids start getting into difficulty they need to rush in and do it for them, rather than let them flounder a bit and learn from it. I don't mean we should abandon them," he says, "but give them more credit for figuring things out." And recognize that parents themselves have created many of the stresses and anxieties children are suffering from, without giving them tools to manage them.

What's the difference between parents creating wimps and the government giving us drugs to stunt our physical growth and lower our testosterone levels to those of a liberal 'man' so that we'll become more altruistic and empathetic and want collective action?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun May 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Luca wrote:

Naw. Every generation thinks the next generation is worse than their own. We all had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to get to school while today's kids are transported on caravans filled with beds of fine goose down. The filters of our memories are poor.

Our expectations change, but kids are kids, and always will be. Whatever each of us do individually, there is some 16 year old out there who will come along and do it better.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun May 12, 2013 12:54 pm

The more I think about it, the more that sounds intuitively true...........Luca

SLK230

Postby SLK230 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 am

Parrotpaul wrote:No. I know nothing about promoting students without meeting requirements...neither here nor in Maine. Methinks there is much more mythology to that musing than truth, but I'd be happy to look at your data.

Paul I can recall on more than 1 occasion you acknowledging "Social Promotions". Has your memory gone bad?
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon May 13, 2013 8:25 am

I'd be happy to review my posts if you have them, but I never saw a kid graduate who didn't have the necessary credits. I can't comment on elementary practices, but in high schools there is no real promotion. KIds are required to earn a given number of credits to include several academic disciplines at different grade levels plus electives. Once those criteria are met, the kid graduates.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon May 13, 2013 8:45 am

Parrotpaul wrote:. . . I never saw a kid graduate who didn't have the necessary credits.

I don't think kids graduating without the necessary credits is the issue. I think it's whether or not they did the work and advanced academically enough to earn those credits that is questionable.

There are too many cases of kids who graduate high school who can barely read, who can't form a sentence that is grammatically correct, and who can't solve for 2X = 4, to believe that some of them weren't given "credit" for classes they really couldn't have passed.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon May 13, 2013 9:46 am

Those are issues individual districts, their schools, and their administrators need to address. I was always comfortable that the grades I gave to kids were based on what they did, how they did it, and knowing the grade honestly reflected the academic attainment and effort of the student much more than on any kind of other points they might need or want to get a credit...legitimate reasons for make-up work always accepted for a kid to succeed. Were all the kids who were sent to me from former teachers adequately prepared to do the work at my course level...most were, and some weren't. Was that the fault of former possibly, but other factors need to be considered...such as parents insisting under qualified kids be put into honors level or other high level courses. I don't deny some teachers inflate grades.

Return to “The Off Topic Forum”