Sports stadiums aren't such a great deal for taxpayers

If it doesn't fit anywhere else
Parrotpaul

Sports stadiums aren't such a great deal for taxpayers

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:32 am

Hanna....after reading this article, you were the first person to pop into my mind to check with concerning the reality of the situation as it is described in the piece. Is the Wilf family as despised by Minneapolisians as it is by the author, or are they in full support of this event?

The NFL is running a billion dollar con

Somehow, a bipartisan coalition of hucksters and thieves had convinced a working class man to feel warm and fuzzy about using his tax money to help a billionaire build a gaudy monument to his own ego. They did this by painting critics of the deal, who had the audacity to suggest that $500 million of their money might be better spent on social services or education, as the lazy poor.

That man, a season-ticket holder, found out earlier this month that he will be forced to pay between $500 to $10,000 for a “personal seat license,” a completely imaginary fee made up out of thin air by NFL owners, that will line the pockets of Wilf’s ownership group with a cool $100 million
Last edited by Parrotpaul on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Parrotpaul

Re: Hanna...inquiring minds want to know

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:44 am

It looks as if the Minneapolis Orchestra is also being dismantled... Minneapolis orchestra difficulties

Michael Henson, president and CEO of the Minnesota Orchestra, received $202,500 in bonus pay in 2011, boosting his total compensation that year to $619,313, according to the orchestra’s tax return.

Such bonuses might be noncontroversial were it not for the fact that orchestra management — arguing it faced a serious financial shortfall — began contract talks with musicians in the spring of 2012 aimed at reducing expenses. That dispute resulted in a lockout that remains unresolved after nearly 13 months.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Parrotpaul

Re: Hanna...inquiring minds want to know

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:38 am

Here's some more material dealing with the sweet deals pro-sports stadiums get from the taxpayers...most whom couldn't afford a ticket to a game at the stadium In their community.

Taxpayers pay the freight...

"Professor Johnson has shown there’s perhaps a very real justification for public subsidies to even out the true value a sports team brings to a city—even if they often don’t. But, as deMause told me, “I'm a sports fan, and I'd be the first to agree that there's absolutely a non-economic value to having a sports team in a city. The question is, how much is that worth? Would your city benefit more from devoting $300 million to a new sports facility or, say, from $300 million worth of extra spending on schools?”

Fordama

Re: Sports stadiums aren't such a great deal for taxpayers

Postby Fordama » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:34 am

The added irony is that a huge part of these massive costs are for building luxury boxes for wealthy corporations and individuals.

These sort of sweetheart deals are the end product of our wealth distribution. Money is power, and that power is being taken from the middle class and shoveled upwards.

Ford
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:54 am

Glendale, Arizona is learning some hard lessons with its NHL franchise and stadium. Stadiums sometimes don't bring in the people

To put the deal in perspective, Glendale's budget gap for 2012 is about $35 million. As the city voted to give a future Coyotes owner hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars, it laid off 49 public workers, and even considered putting its city hall and police station up as collateral to obtain a loan, according to the Arizona Republic. (The latter plan was ultimately scrapped.)

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:05 am

This is nothing more than the usual corporate welfare that benefits the very few at the expense of the many.

Years ago when the NFL was trying to get a sweetheart deal out of then LA Mayor Richard Riordan I applauded him for telling the NFL to get lost.

His remarks were something to the effect that LA had much bigger problems that needed addressing than paying millions for a football team.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Why even have a stadium? You get to see more of the game on TV..
I had to laugh the last time I went to Angel stadium. There were people there with portablr TVs on their lap and radios tuned in to the game. They weren't even watching the field. What did they buy tickets for??
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:09 pm

The hot dogs

+I like mine with mustard and onions

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:39 am

Which is better...sports on TV or sports at the stadium? I'm with the guy who wrote the article.

Sports on TV or at the stadium...which do you like best?

As a sports fan, there really is no better place to experience a big game than at the stadium.

The communal atmosphere. The buzz in the building. The fresh air. The feeling of 45,000 standing and cheering as one. The ticket stub you can stick in a scrap book forever to prove you were there.

There really is nothing like being at the game.

And yet, as a sports fan, there really is no worse place to watch a big game than at the stadium.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:58 am

Speaking of stadiums, sez here that the City of Industry will start grading and installing roads and utilities for the new Los Angeles ____________ of Diamond Bar Stadium in January. I hope Caltrans is ready. A Friday night event there could back up traffic to San Clemente.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Just what we need here, another also-ran team.. Maybe they can host gladiator matches featuring the "Real House wives of OC" against those tarts from "Jersey Shore".. I'd watch that. :lol:
Maybe throw in "Survivor, Industry stadium" And "Dancing with the Homeless" for summer reruns.. :wink:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Return to “The Off Topic Forum”