Page 2 of 2

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:58 am
by Parrotpaul
The markings on the kittens are not typical of garden variety tabby cats. Up until a few years ago domestic house cats did not have the spots evident on a couple of these kittens. Breeders developed strains of large cats with interesting markings....Bengal cats. for instance...they bred cats with Asian Leopard cats. These kittens display markings that could have been the result of one of these exotic cats and a domestic cat doing the wild thing. If so, they might grow to be very large cats. Mama looks like a variety of Siamese. I'll bet she is pissed at you. Next time take mama as well as her kittens. It works best that way.

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:41 am
by SoMelo
Paul wrote:The markings on the kittens are not typical of garden variety tabby cats. Up until a few years ago domestic house cats did not have the spots evident on a couple of these kittens. Breeders developed strains of large cats with interesting markings....Bengal cats. for instance...they bred cats with Asian Leopard cats. These kittens display markings that could have been the result of one of these exotic cats and a domestic cat doing the wild thing. If so, they might grow to be very large cats. Mama looks like a variety of Siamese. I'll bet she is pissed at you. Next time take mama as well as her kittens. It works best that way.
I can't catch her.. We have a live animal cage out there, so far she has eluded it..

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 pm
by Brooke
I was avoiding this thread because I thought you were going to turn the kitten (last time I looked) over to a shelter. Thank you for being an outstanding person and taking care of them.

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 pm
by SoMelo
The last 3 have been fostered out. I couldn't do anymore 2am feedings. They will be well taken care of (1 of them had some eye goobers but is already on medication)... Now that I'm about 100% sure all the babies are gone I'm going to take a real aggressive roll in catching the mother. There is a low cost spaying/neutering vet by me. I will have her fixed and then release her (but she has to promise to stop coming in the doggy door)

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:09 pm
by John Q. Public
SoMelo wrote:We just caught a feral kitten, approximately 5 to 6 weeks old. There is 1 more we are trying to catch. I really don't want to take them to the animal shelter because they will probably have them put down immediately. Anyone interested? Any suggestions? We will deliver anywhere in southern California
Pretty cute, but we aren't in a position to own cats. (I've named it Zeke)Image
And here he is at or around his first birthday, guarding the catnip patch. Yup. I'm the sucker. And his name got changed to Sieg (or Ziggy, since Sieg is kind of hard to explain to the people at the vet's. The FB didn't like the name "Zeke" for some reason.)

Odd little guy. He's a little on the small side but he's fairly long. He can reach the top of the kitchen counter standing up. And his tail's very long. And he's very timid. He hides behind the sofa whenever anybody comes over and stays there until well after they've left. We're pretty convinced he's half Bengal, judging by his coloring, his shape and the spots on his skin. And, at least so far, he almost never leaves the back yard when he's outside. Good kitty.

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:21 pm
by Notorious
Sweet cat.

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:12 am
by oceanvue
We have one of those same feral cats. They apparently have been running wild avoiding the coyotes in our neighborhood in Mission Viejo for years. Does it have a squirrel like bushy tail and long hair between it's foot pads?

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:31 am
by SoMelo
Awwww... He's all growed up! There are about 3 or 4 other cats who hang around, I don't know if they are all feral. One is too tame, but severely underweight and no collar. We feed him when we see him. Thankfully haven't seen or heard of any babies.

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:07 am
by oceanvue
Parrotpaul wrote:The markings on the kittens are not typical of garden variety tabby cats. Up until a few years ago domestic house cats did not have the spots evident on a couple of these kittens. Breeders developed strains of large cats with interesting markings....Bengal cats. for instance...they bred cats with Asian Leopard cats. These kittens display markings that could have been the result of one of these exotic cats and a domestic cat doing the wild thing. If so, they might grow to be very large cats. Mama looks like a variety of Siamese. I'll bet she is pissed at you. Next time take mama as well as her kittens. It works best that way.
I think we talked about this before but Savannah cats are pretty cool. A cross between a house cat and an African Serval

http://www.savannahcatbreed.com/

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:24 am
by John Q. Public
oceanvue wrote:We have one of those same feral cats. They apparently have been running wild avoiding the coyotes in our neighborhood in Mission Viejo for years. Does it have a squirrel like bushy tail and long hair between it's foot pads?
No, all of his hair is pretty standard for a shorthair. It's very soft, though.

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:48 am
by John Q. Public
SoMelo wrote:Awwww... He's all growed up! There are about 3 or 4 other cats who hang around, I don't know if they are all feral. One is too tame, but severely underweight and no collar. We feed him when we see him. Thankfully haven't seen or heard of any babies.
Here's another picture of all 3 cats from November, with the dead squirrel cropped out. Flo, on the right, caught it. The neighbors think she's a stray because she roams around so much. Somebody seems to be feeding her because she's a lot heavier than she should be from the amount of food I give her. That or she catches more rodents than I'm aware of.

And believe it or not, there's a male cat down the street that looks exactly like her. We call him Fake Flo. The only way we can tell them apart is that Flo answers when you talk to her. We put a collar on her but her hair's so long you can't see it.

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:52 am
by oceanvue
I would call him Faux Flo.. or Faux Paw :giggle:

Re: Cat lover needed

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:18 am
by SoMelo
Look what I found behind my bird aviary yesterday!!!
AuKits.jpg
Auggie loves them
AugKitties.jpg
Especially this guy (or girl, how in the hell do you tell?)
AugKitty.jpg
I don't know who the mother is, one is Siamese looking and one is Bengal looking...

Free to a good home (okay just free, no questions asked)

Re: Cat lover needed... more KITTENS!!!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:28 am
by SoMelo
Great News.. Cracker went to a great home last night (seen here), Booger leaves on Sunday and my son (and Auggie) is going to keep Roscoe (seen below)
Cracker.jpg
Roscoe.jpg

Re: Cat lover needed... more KITTENS!!!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 pm
by SoMelo
Yay!! For over a year, we've tried to catch the feral cat who has found our home to be the Safe Haven drop off for her kittens. Last Thursday, while I was on a business trip, she came in through the doggie door and my kids cornered her and finally trapped her in one of the bathrooms. Tonight I caught her and put her in the live animal trap (one of the scariest things I've ever done). Tomorrow morning she goes into be neutered then will be released back to her Colony. No more babies... But isn't she pretty? She is the mother of JQP's cat.
Bianca.jpg

Re: Cat lover needed... more KITTENS!!!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 am
by GOODave
SoMelo wrote:Yay!! For over a year, we've tried to catch the feral cat who has found our home to be the Safe Haven drop off for her kittens. Last Thursday, while I was on a business trip, she came in through the doggie door and my kids cornered her and finally trapped her in one of the bathrooms. Tonight I caught her and put her in the live animal trap (one of the scariest things I've ever done). Tomorrow morning she goes into be neutered then will be released back to her Colony. No more babies... But isn't she pretty? She is the mother of JQP's cat.
Up until a couple years ago, we had a feral cat family and a opossum living under our deck. My neighbor, on who's dog's food the opposum was feeding nightly, asked me if I cared how he dealt with it: I told him "of course not," and one night, the opposum simply did not come home again ... ever ... and I relate it to the crack of a .22 I heard that night.

We got a live trap, just like Billy the Exterminator, and set it out with a can of catfood and trapped the whole family: Mom and 3 young'uns (not all on the same night, of course). Took 'em to a vet to get fixed, then released them near a nearby farm (about a mile from our place).

Re: Cat lover needed... more KITTENS!!!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:15 am
by Red
GOODave wrote:
Up until a couple years ago, we had a feral cat family and a opossum living under our deck. My neighbor, on who's dog's food the opposum was feeding nightly, asked me if I cared how he dealt with it: I told him "of course not," and one night, the opposum simply did not come home again ... ever ... and I relate it to the crack of a .22 I heard that night.

We got a live trap, just like Billy the Exterminator, and set it out with a can of catfood and trapped the whole family: Mom and 3 young'uns (not all on the same night, of course). Took 'em to a vet to get fixed, then released them near a nearby farm (about a mile from our place).
My Doxie, Essie Mae deals very well with oppossums. She is like a ninja! All 3 of my Doxies exterminated oppossums.

Image
The silent oppossum assassin!