Attacks on Religious Liberty Continue

Fordama

Re: Attacks on Religious Liberty Continue

Postby Fordama » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 am

Credo ut intelligam wrote:The Knights of Columbus is not a "political organization" simply because it publicly supported Prop 8.

If it's supporting a political initiative, it's acting political.

Did they question the nominee about Catholic rites? Confession? Taking the Sacrament.

What about the question was about Catholicism? It seems like they were questioning about a political position based on an organization that was taking a political stance--which infers the encouragement of monetary support for the position.

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 am

Asking about religious beliefs is actually barred. Asking about membership in a fraternal organization isn't. Notice the wording of the question.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:46 pm

Democratic Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) blasts ‘religious bigotry’ against Knights of Columbus, Catholic nominees

While I would likely disagree with Gabbard on most issues, on this count I couldn't agree with her more.

Democratic lawmakers are divided over questions some see as a religious litmus test applied to candidates for the federal bench. The debate has turned into a war of words between members of Hawaii’s Congressional delegation

“We cannot and will not tolerate prejudicial treatment of those with whom we disagree, any more than we would tolerate such treatment of those with whom we agree,” Rep Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) wrote in a Jan. 8 op-ed for The Hill.

Gabbard accused senators screening judicial candidates of “religious bigotry” and warned against legislators “weaponizing” questions of personal faith.

https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2019/ ... =hootsuite
Last edited by John Q. Public on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cut the quote down

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Dishonest, like allowing them to keep their tax-exempt status even as they use their pulpits to run blatant political campaigns?

Yeah, that would be terrible....

Black church leaders try to inspire congregants to vote for Obama
Two dozen of this region’s most influential black pastors sat in the cramped conference room of a suburban Baptist church last week, brainstorming how to inspire congregants still dismayed by President Obama’s support for same-sex marriage.

One idea that emerged was to focus black churchgoers on the differences between Obama’s traditional brand of Christianity and Republican nominee Mitt Romney’s Mormonism, especially its history of racial discrimination.

“We can’t tell people who to vote for, but we can certainly point out the differences,” said the Rev. Lin Hill, associate minister of the 2,500-member Bethany Baptist Church, which hosted the gathering on Saturday. “Our president has declared Jesus Christ to be his Lord and savior, while his opponent denies the deity of Christ.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 19195597a4

Just let me know when you've had enough... \:D/

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:05 pm

Let me know when you get an original thought and we can get started debating instead of C&P'ing
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Next overly long quote gets deleted.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:We can’t tell people who to vote for

Except that's exactly what they often do...#takeawaytaxexemptstatus
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Let me know when you get an original thought and we can get started debating instead of C&P'ing

Way to change the subject....

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Except that's exactly what they often do...#takeawaytaxexemptstatus

Take away the tax exempt status of black churches? Oh, that'll go over well with the Democrats....

RPW

Postby RPW » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Source of the post Take away the tax exempt status of black churches? Oh, that'll go over well with the Democrats...

Take away the tax exempt status of white churches? Oh, that'll go over well with the Republicans...

Crooked ass people come in a multitude of colors.
I am The Voice of Reason

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Take away the tax exempt status of black churches? Oh, that'll go over well with the Democrats....

WTF does race got to do with it?
George Will

Donald Trump

Return to “Religion and Spirituality”