Jesus never said anything about Homosexuality

GOODave

Jesus never said anything about Homosexuality

Post by GOODave » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:56 am

Jimmy Carter on Homosexuality: ‘Jesus Never Said a Word About It’
The Blaze

March 19, 2012
by Billy Hallowell

...HuffPo’s Senior Religion Editor Paul Brandeis Raushenbush started the conversation by asking Carter if God wrote the Bible.

“God inspired the Bible but didn’t write every word in the Bible,” Carter responded. “We know, for instance that stars can’t fall on the earth, stars are much larger than the earth. That was a limitation of knowledge of the universe or physics, or astronomy at that time, but that doesn’t bother me at all.”

When it came to addressing homosexuality, a contentious issue in many Christian circles, Carter talked about its historical nature and delved into his views on how civil ceremonies should be treated:

“Homosexuality was well known in the ancient world, well before Christ was born and Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. In all of his teachings about multiple things -– he never said that gay people should be condemned. I personally think it is very fine for gay people to be married in civil ceremonies.
I mostly agree with Carter's perspective on homosexuality: Jesus did NOT treat homosexuality, specifically and He certainly never said any group should be condemned (certainly not by us "other" human beings). Condemnation is God's job, despite what the fine folks at Westboro Baptist Church would delude themselves into believing: He has given us the job of bringing people into the kingdom, not forbidding them from it.

Where Carter and I diverge is in his inference that Jesus, therefore, would have us remain silent on the subject of specific sins (such as homosexuality, adultery, incest, and etc.). Jesus spoke at length on the topic of sin and that He did or did not mention a specific sin neither elevates it or subordinates it: Sin is sin and all sin separates us from God. THAT was the point of Jesus' ministry: To reconcile us (sinners) to God.

In short, what Carter seems to miss in my estimation is that the Bible DOES address homosexuality specifically elsewhere (2 Timothy, for example) and also points it out as separating us from God in Leviticus. It would be inconsistent for The Bible to call a sin "sin" but ignore those admonitions based on what was recorded that Jesus, specifically, said or didn't say.

GOODave

Re: Jesus never said anything about Homosexuality

Post by GOODave » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:04 am

Did you guys miss this?

<Bump>

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:59 am

Can I ask why as a Christian you feel it is okay to legislate some sins but not others or rather why is marriage the dividing line, why not push for full illegality of homosexuality.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 am

Notorious wrote:Can I ask why as a Christian you feel it is okay to legislate some sins but not others or rather why is marriage the dividing line, why not push for full illegality of homosexuality.
Mostly because homosexuality is a social issue and Jesus came to address our SPIRITUAL needs.

the only time I will exercise political options as regards social issues is when they threatan to overrun my values. In the case of marriage, the Bible very clearly says "one man, one woman" and even goes so far as to condemn homosexuality. But even so, every homosexual is able to confess Jesus as their savior and be rescued from the penalty for their sin. I do not know any who have done that, though: I'm sure they're out there somewhere, but none of those I've spoken with or with whom I have a relationship are amongst them.

Further, those I know who even make an effort to attend church, every one of them labels themselves a "gay christian" ... which also violates Scripture.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:17 am

That brings up another question then, if prostitution became legal would you stand in the way (vote against) it didn't violate on your morals or your values.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Notorious wrote:That brings up another question then, if prostitution became legal would you stand in the way (vote against) it didn't violate on your morals or your values.
I actually appreciate you bringing up something like this, because, from my perspective, there is no sin greater or lesser than any other sin: Sin separates us from God, ALL sin and any sin: That is precisely why He had to come die on the cross.

Yes I would stand against it, and for the same reason: I would not want to do anything to "legitimatize" something I believe is morally wrong and that I also believe would further undermine our culture.

FallStar

Post by FallStar » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:14 pm

“God inspired the Bible but didn’t write every word in the Bible,” Carter responded.

What are your thoughts on this?

As Carter said, stars cannot fall on earth. It's an impossibility. Why would God write something that is not true? Quite clearly there are many parts of the bible that are untrue. God would not have written that, as he is a perfect God. This can only mean that there are many human ideas in the bible which are not the words of God. How are we to know that the ideas of homosexuality are those of Paul, and Paul alone, just as the ideas of stars falling on earth were clearly those of John and not God?