Graham, Evangelicals, Trump

Fordama

Re: Graham, Evangelicals, Trump

Postby Fordama » Tue May 15, 2018 11:12 am

I'd hope he would have had a decent reason.

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue May 15, 2018 2:31 pm

The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 is a public law of the United States passed by the 104th Congress on October 23, 1995. The proposed law was adopted by the Senate (93–5), and the House (374–37). The Act became law without a presidential signature on November 8, 1995.

The Act recognized Jerusalem as the capital of the State of Israel and called for Jerusalem to remain an undivided city. Its purpose was to set aside funds for the relocation of the Embassy of the United States in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, by May 31, 1999.

Presidential candidates have been promising ever since the law was passed in 1995 to move the embassy to Jerusalem, but until now, none have kept their promise.

This president keeps his promises, so why is anyone surprised?
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue May 15, 2018 3:10 pm

Why should where it was located matter to me?

Could be that previous presidents finally asked themselves that same question and realized tax dollars could be used for something more worthwhile.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue May 15, 2018 3:21 pm

It shouldn't matter to you Wabash. Do us all a favor and ignore it.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue May 15, 2018 3:54 pm

I would ignore it if my tax dollars weren't paying for yet another overgrown publicity stunt.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue May 15, 2018 3:59 pm

When it comes to publicity stunts, I'm sure moving the American embassy to Jersusalem will cost infinitely less than our Moonbeam Express bullet train to nowhere.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue May 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Is there double standard evangelicals involved in that project?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue May 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Fordama wrote:I'd hope he would have had a decent reason.

Basing foreign policy decisions on a 2,000 year old book and ratifying the principle that land can be taken from a people by conquest is pretty brilliant....

#Sad!

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 pm

No double standard involved, Wabash. I've pointed it out twice in this thread. The sooner you understand it, the sooner you'll understand those voters.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue May 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post Presidential candidates have been promising ever since the law was passed in 1995 to move the embassy to Jerusalem, but until now, none have kept their promise.

And for good reason. Making the pledge along with everyone else was the safe move politically, but the follow through has been wisely withheld as a bargaining chip until now. For every administration since it's been a huge carrot held aloft to get the Israelis to make concessions toward a two-state solution...until now. The "Great Negotiator" in full pander-bear mode just foolishly gave it away as a bribe to his evangelical base...for NOTHING. Israel gives NOTHING in return. Good job, Don.

Oh, and ditto the treaty with Iran that Bibi was practically ordering him to renege on, he just tossed away a another valuable bargaining chip, again for NOTHING. Good job again, Don.

No wonder in business he was a perpetual bankruptcy generator
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 pm

The Constitution provides that the president "shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two-thirds of the Senators present concur" (Article II, section 2). The Constitution's framers gave the Senate a share of the treaty power in order to give the president the benefit of the Senate's advice and counsel, check presidential power, and safeguard the sovereignty of the states by giving each state an equal vote in the treaty-making process.

...Most treaties submitted to the Senate have received its advice and consent to ratification. During its first 200 years, the Senate approved more than 1,500 treaties and rejected only 21. A number of these, including the Treaty of Versailles, were rejected twice. Most often, the Senate has simply not voted on treaties that its leadership deemed not to have sufficient support within the Senate for approval, and in general these treaties have eventually been withdrawn. At least 85 treaties were eventually withdrawn because the Senate never took final action on them.

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/hi ... eaties.htm

Three guesses why that so-called treaty with Iran was never submitted to the Senate.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue May 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
Making the pledge along with everyone else was the safe move politically...

Translated: Make a promise you know you aren't going to keep, because everyone else is doing it.
Omar Bongo wrote:
...but the follow through has been wisely withheld.

An interesting way to say, "they broke their promises."
Last edited by Professor Fate on Tue May 15, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed May 16, 2018 1:31 am

It wasn't a promise, it was a lie intended to deceive people into supporting them. Some politicians lie with every other breath, they...why am I explaining this to a Trump voter?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed May 16, 2018 1:56 am

Clinton, Bush, and Obama all lied, then. Here are the latter two "deceiving people into supporting them."https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0-67QaDU5o

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 am

We get nothing that benefits Americans.

That is what is lost in this move.

Here is a great picture of Ivanka at the dedication.
Attachments
Israelis Embasssy.jpg

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed May 16, 2018 6:31 am

I don't click on videos, Prof. How about just posting the quote of his "vow to move the embassy"?

According to the Times of Israel, "Barack Obama never specifically addressed the question of moving the embassy”
Last edited by John Q. Public on Wed May 16, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link not required
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 am

Crickets
George Will

Donald Trump

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Fri May 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post Clinton, Bush, and Obama all lied, then. Here are the latter two "deceiving people into supporting them."

Obama didn't promise to move the embassy, he stated that Jerusalem was the capital and that it should remain undivided. I don't know why your posts are so blatantly dishonest professor, but I think trump is rubbing off on you.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Return to “Religion and Spirituality”