Attacks on Religious Liberty Continue

Credo ut intelligam

Attacks on Religious Liberty Continue

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:46 pm

You'd think they would have learned after the cases of the Little Sisters of the Poor and Masterpiece Cakeshop, but Democrats are at it again, questioning the fitness of a judicial nominee to U.S. District Court (Nebraska) due to his membership in the Knights of Columbus. I wonder if this kind of "religious test" would be asked of an Orthodox Jew or a Muslim?
DEMOCRATS ACCUSED OF 'ANTI-CATHOLIC BIGOTRY' BY KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS OVER TRUMP JUDICIAL NOMINEE QUESTIONING
The Knights of Columbus, the world’s largest Catholic fraternal organization, accused Democratic Senators Kamala Harris and Mazie Hirono of invoking America's anti-Catholic history in their questioning of a judicial nominee about his membership to the club.

The senators directed a series of questions to Brian Buescher, President Donald Trump's nominee for the U.S. District Court in the District of Nebraska, about how his membership with the service organization might affect his decisions as a federal judge.

“If confirmed, do you intend to end your membership with this organization to avoid any appearance of bias?” asked Hirono. The Hawaiian senator was referring to the organization’s prior support of California’s Proposition 8 to ban same-sex marriage. She also asked him if he would recuse himself “from all cases in which the Knights of Columbus has taken a position.”
https://www.newsweek.com/democrats-cath ... us-1270859
No Catholics Need Apply?
This month California’s Kamala Harris and Hawaii’s Mazie Hirano landed on Omaha lawyer Brian Buescher, nominated by President Trump to serve on the Nebraska U.S. District court, for, of all things, his membership in the Knights of Columbus.

That’s right, the Knights of Columbus, a venerable Catholic fraternal, service, and charitable organization that has been committing good works, including helping the sick and needy, since before Harris’s and Hirano’s grandparents were born. The Knights also support traditional Catholic values and social policy. And this is the rub, according to Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Harris questioned whether membership in this retrograde (according to secularists) organization would impede Buescher’s ability to hear cases before the federal court fairly and impartially. She asked Buescher if he agreed with Supreme Knight (the K of C chief executive) Carl A. Anderson’s statement that abortion is “the killing of the innocent on a massive scale.” Buescher replied he wasn’t responsible for the Knight’s statements and policies and that as a judge he would be guided by law and precedent in all areas.
https://spectator.org/no-catholics-need-apply/

broman

Re: Attacks on Religious Liberty Continue

Post by broman » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:56 pm

A judge ruling on a case based on the religious conviction and not the rule of law is exactly the reason judges should be vetted. Can the judge rule against folks having premarital sex or if a women had an abortion?
Last edited by broman on Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:58 pm

What's the problem?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

broman

Post by broman » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Right in my lane Credo....
Got more

Loving v. Virginia
Opinion for State Supreme Court of Virginia

Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And, but for the interference with his arrangement, there would be no cause for such marriage. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/388/1

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:37 am

Credo ut intelligam wrote:QR_BBPOST You'd think they would have learned after the cases of the Little Sisters of the Poor and Masterpiece Cakeshop, but Democrats are at it again, questioning the fitness of a judicial nominee to U.S. District Court (Nebraska) due to his membership in the Knights of Columbus. I wonder if this kind of "religious test" would be asked of an Orthodox Jew or a Muslim?
If there were concerns about how the Jew or Muslim might rule on a certain issue I suppose they would be questioned.

Would you have the same objection to questioning a Scientologist or a Satanist?

My personal feeling is that superstitions belong in the home, not the workplace, but people keep wanting to "share" their personal beliefs with others and that's where the trouble occurs.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:33 pm

broman wrote:Right in my lane Credo....
Got more

Loving v. Virginia
Actually, I think you're in my lane.

Familiar with the Loving case. What, exactly, does that have to do with Democrat Senators in 2018 insinuating that membership in the Knights of Columbus is suspect, or a possible disqualifying factor for a judicial appointment?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:25 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:QR_BBPOST Democrat Senators
You better be careful with that, Credo. [ref]MDDad[/ref] gets upset when people try to sound like hillbillies.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:29 am

Sorry, John, I don't get it.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:42 am

The adjective form of the word is "Democratic". Calling someone a "Democrat Senator" makes one sound like an uneducated hillbilly - or it tries to imply that the Senator is. You've said we shouldn't do that. Or is it one a them "selective outrage" things?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:49 am

Now you gone and done it...here comes the "elitist" charge again
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:50 am

Actually, the adjective is democratic, and it has nothing to with the party. Democrat and Democratic are both correctly used as adjectives. And neither use even compares to "Muricans", "Mooslims", or other terms frequently used here to disparage the intellect of uneducated conservatives.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:04 am

In that case, "'Muricans" and "Mooslims" are valid. You'll never see an educated person use the term "Democrat Senator" or "Democrat Party" without intending to demean them.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:31 am

Bull.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:34 am

Bull Mooslim!
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:39 am

MDDad wrote:QR_BBPOST And neither use even compares to "Muricans", "Mooslims", or other terms frequently used here to disparage the intellect of uneducated conservatives.
What term would you prefer I use when I wish to disparage the intellect of uneducated conservatives?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:40 am

The same one you'd like others to use when disparaging the intellect of uneducated or ignorant liberals.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:22 pm

The Hawaiian senator was referring to the organization’s prior support of California’s Proposition 8 to ban same-sex marriage.
So actually the KoC is a political organization. Therefore questioning about how much they would influence a judges decision is completely appropriate.

This is just another case of Christians trying to claim victim status in a society in which they actually dominate. It's a lie.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:49 pm

MDDad wrote:QR_BBPOST The same one you'd like others to use when disparaging the intellect of uneducated or ignorant liberals.
And here I thought you actually had one in mind...I should have known better, my apologies.

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 pm

Fordama wrote:So actually the KoC is a political organization. Therefore questioning about how much they would influence a judges decision is completely appropriate.

This is just another case of Christians trying to claim victim status in a society in which they actually dominate. It's a lie.
The Knights of Columbus is not a "political organization" simply because it publicly supported Prop 8. If that was the case, then the Catholic Church, the LDS Church (Mormons), and countless evangelical and black churches who also supported Prop 8 would have to be considered "political organizations." Taking a position on a political issue does not make one a "political organization." That's just sloppy and dishonest thinking.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:39 am

Dishonest, like allowing them to keep their tax-exempt status even as they use their pulpits to run blatant political campaigns?
George Will

Donald Trump