Chinese Garden expansion at the Huntington

Parrotpaul

Chinese Garden expansion at the Huntington

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:10 am

The Huntington has an expensive ticket price...$35 the last time I visited, but it is also one of the most magnificent gardens I have visited, and now the Huntington has expanded the Chinese pavilion. The cactus garden inspired much of my present gardening, and if you have children, or simply enjoy the beauty, the peace, and the solitude of a world class garden, the Huntington never disappoints.

The Huntington Garden

Spring seems only around the corner at Liu Fang Yuan, or the Garden of Flowing Fragrance, at the Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens in San Marino. Delicate pink cherry blossoms have begun to appear on trees, and dappled sunlight warms the stone walkways.

There are other changes in the air at the Chinese Garden, as it is more informally known. Workers are putting finishing touches on new pavilions, walkways and landscaping as the newest garden in the Huntington's collection of more than a dozen readies its first expansion since its 2008 opening.

On March 8 (March 7 for members), the Chinese Garden premieres three major new architectural elements as part of its second-phase expansion: two pavilions and a rock grotto with a waterfall that visitors can walk under. Still to come for the planned 12-acre site are a small gallery for Chinese art, a hillside pavilion and a penjing (a style of horticulture similar to Japanese bonsai) court. About half the $22 million needed to complete the project has been raised so far.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made the title fit

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Chinese Garden expansion at the Huntington

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:59 am

The Huntington is one of the FB's favorite places to take visitors. And the Chinese Garden is usually our first break. Beautiful place.

Admission is $20 weekdays and $23 on weekends. $15 and $18 for Seniors (65+). The Foreign Mom likes it well enough that she's gotten a membership when she's here - $90 for Seniors and it's good for unlimited visits for 2 people.

Oddly, in all the times I've been there I've never been in any of the galleries. It's just worked out that way, but they have a lot of great works of art. One of these days.

http://www.huntington.org/
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Red

Postby Red » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:06 pm

Are they expanding their cactus garden in time for the Easter egg hunt? :lol:
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:25 pm

I've always enjoyed the Huntington's gardens and art collections.

It's almost surreal walking around the grounds and you realize you are less than a mile from the now bustling center of Pasadena.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Return to “Home and Garden”