I Have a Temporary Duck Family

Parrotpaul

Re: I Have a Temporary Duck Family

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:13 am

Roasted then eaten on toast tips with an orange and plum sauce and an herb garnish. Nice finger food...much more buoyant than Cornish hen or quail youngsters....lingering aftertaste is pleasant and savory.

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:54 am

OMG, do you always have to be so unpleasant?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:38 am

The ducklings have practiced flying a short distance today. I am surprised they don't practice more; it has to be more fun than walking. But they only seem to do it to get from point A to point B.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Why else would they do it?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:07 pm

I clearly said because it's fun. I wish I could fly.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:03 pm

The drake has not been back for over two weeks. I hope nothing happened to him. Mom Duck still flies away for an hour or so everyday, perhaps she visits him.

The ducklings don't seem to be practicing their flying much. A couple of days ago they flew over the fence, but then when they wanted to return for the night they got all mixed up and just kept walking back and forth along the fence. The next morning they were back, but how could they forget that they flew over there in the first place? :eh?: Even weirder, the mom was with them. Maybe she was letting them figure it out.

One thing I have learned is that ducks don't quack much. Only the mom quacks and just as a warning in a low voice. Even though the duckings look nearly full grown they still make little peeping noises and sort of gurgle when mom flies in. I love it when kids love their moms. Animals and humans both.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:06 pm

I almost forgot, one thing the ducklings do that is so cute is when they put their heads in the water with their bottoms pointed straight up and then they paddle around the pool. Cute little legs chugging them around with their butts in the air.

One more thing that is cute is they are pigeon-toed. :D

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:45 am

Yesterday, all of a sudden, all of the ducks flew out of the pool and over the fence and into the neighbor's pool. With the exception of one of the ducklings who hit the top of the fence, veered off and landed in my pool. It called out to the others for a few minutes and none of them paid attention to him or her - and then finally flew over and joined the rest of the family.

They were all back again by nightfall.

Still no drake. I hope he is okay.

I think it's kind of amazing that they can get those heavy bodies off the ground. Not only that, but the adults fly high and fast. They have to be really strong to do that. I think I read they fly around 40 mph.

Has anyone seen ducks in migration? I have seen geese, but I don't think I have noticed ducks. Not all of them migrate. Some do, so how come I haven't noticed them?

I should have noted that one afternoon before they began to glide into the pool from the wall. They all jumped to the ground and literally all of them landed on their faces except for the mom. Too top heavy, I think. None of them were hurt.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:36 am

Ducklings getting stronger flying skills. All can make it over the fence with room to spare. They need to be much stronger to reach the heights that mom flies at on her frequent visits to wherever.

They seem to like rising out of the water and flapping their wings as a group but going no-where. There is a lot of group participation, which is a good thing. It keeps them safer and mom doesn't have to look all over for them. She wants to know where they are.

When she flies in from her daily visiting trip I have noticed she usually quacks just once - greeting her kids I guess. I wonder if they hear lower sounds than humans do. When the mom gives her warnings or makes a noise it is usually always in a low pitch.

Day before yesterday, all was quiet and all of a sudden the mom just took off and flew away. It surprised her kids, they were all looking around, stretching their bodies in the direction she had gone, and at each other as if to say, where did she go and what happened.

She is such a strong flyer she disappears quickly from sight.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:17 am

The mommy duck and one of the ducklings disappeared late yesterday afternoon and they have not reappeared this morning. I wonder what happened. The duckling that is gone is the shyest one, so I thought that she (mom) may have taken her to the other place she visits everyday. Thinking that perhaps she couldn't make it without strict supervision. In other words, if she didn't keep an eye on her the entire time.

The other three ducklings are stronger and braver than the shy one.

Just have to wait and see what happens. Hope nothing bad happened to them. After all the deaths of the baby duckling I had hoped they could keep the five intact as a family.

Watching animals, especially wild animals causes me anxiety. I wish mother nature was kinder.

It's surprising to me that there has been so much tragedy with the duck family being here in this haven of my backyard. I can't imagine what kind of death and destruction happens out in the open with new babies. It's sad.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:02 pm

In the meantime, yesterday another duckling disappeared, leaving just two ducklings.

Then yesterday evening, the mom appeared. What a relief. She is still here with the two remaining ducklings. I think what is happening is that she is taking one duckling at a time and leading them to the place she visits each day.

I was worried that if something had happened to her how would the two duckings still here find the place where the other ducks gather. They couldn't, so then what. Anyhow, by showing up, I was able to figure out what she is doing. :)

I had envisioned a scenario where they all took off at the same time with me waving goodbye. She's smart, she is doing it the safest way. I really admire her, she's a good mom.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:30 am

Still two ducklings left. Mom just spent a couple of days with them and disappeared again. I wish she had taken the last two with her. The ducklings are overdue for leaving the nest.

I received a notice to get the pool back in order. A neighbor complained. Talked to the official and gave him a run-down of what has transpired. He was nicer after he heard the circumstances, but had no idea that it is illegal to remove the ducks. I was advised that in order to have the ducks removed a permit must be issued, but she added that she has never heard of anyone succeeding in getting one.

So, the official will get back to me. I was hoping that in the meantime the last two would leave with their mom and stay at the other place. I wish I knew where it was and I might consider trying to catch them and drive them myself. But, that might be traumatic for the ducks and to me too if I hurt one of them.

Waiting to hear what the official has to say.

The pool is so gunky that it will have to be drained, cleaned and refilled. Yuk.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:57 am

I spoke to a CA Fish and Wildlife person. His solution was to allow my dogs to go into the duck area and scare them off.

No Bubba! That isn't going to happen. Why does it seem that Fish and Wildlife folks are anti-animal? His comment to 7 dead ducklings was, "oh well, they are a prey animal." OK yeah, but they feel fear and pain just like other living beings. :roll:

And, he made other comments that I didn't agree with. No sense arguing with him because it was easy to tell that he had closed his mind like a steel trap decades ago. What a perfect stereotype he is. Not unlike many a Christian I have met who have the same attitude. It's okay that animals suffer and die - after all, they don't have souls. Which, is something they cannot possibly know.

Some people are so dumb they will never learn!

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Return to “Home and Garden”