Refrigerator of the Future

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Refrigerator of the Future

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:01 am

Foreign Babe got back from Costco yesterday only to discover that the refrigerator had died - yes, she got back from friggin' Costco to discover that the refrigerator had died. So we made an emergency run to Pacific Sales and another one to Smart & Final for dry ice ($1.50/lb., 10 pounds should keep the freezer frozen for a few days).

So, while we're trying to decide if we could live without having a separate door for wine or not, I spot one in the back with a TV on the door. So I sez to the salesman, "Okay, what's with the TV?" and he takes us back to look at it. Turns out it isn't a TV, but a monitor (silly, ancient me). But it can be used as a TV. And it can be used as a bulletin board to communicate with your kids (no more broken fingernails or paper cuts from trying to operate treacherous refrigerator magnets and Post-Its!) and it can be used to monitor your food. You tell it what every science project and bag of mystery meat is when you put it in and it can tell you when they're fully decayed, or if your milk's out of code if that's all you care about.

And of course there's an app for that. It has three cameras, so rather than calling home to see if you need caviar, you can just pull up the fridge-cam and check for yourself. SOL if it's hidden behind the milk, but I guess you could call home and get somebody to move it for you. And maybe wiggle the carrots while they're there. And it knows how old things are, so it can tell you if the milk's out of code while you're standing in front of the dairy case. And you can use it as a security cam to see who the %$$#@&! was who took your last beer. That's worth $4,000 just by itself.

Pretty cool but we went with the standard 3 doors and an ice dispenser. Yeah, call me a Luddite or a tightwad. Whatever.

https://www.pacificsales.com/pdp/4842403

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Re: Refrigerator of the Future

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:17 am

Tell me you didn't get stainless steel.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:18 am

I am not quite needing that much tech in my appliances. But I've installed two things that I can now monitor remotely.

One is the garage door. I have an app that notifies me if it has been open for a certain period of time. Came in handy when I was traveling and Mrs. Wabash was home alone. I called when I got a notification that the door had been opened. She indicated there was no reason and immediately closed it. Still don't know why it opened on its own.

The second piece of tech is a WiFi enabled thermostat. I can turn off the HVAC remotely if I forgot while leaving. And I can start it up to cool off the house when we are headed home after a trip somewhere. Very convenient.
Last edited by Wabash on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:22 am

A lot of people around here are installing doorbell cams. We've had an unusual number of burglaries and package thefts in the last few months.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:25 am

I've been looking into that.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:36 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Tell me you didn't get stainless steel.

Hey, we could always paint it. Candy apple red would be pretty cool. I don't know what she'd think of it, though. Maybe I'll surprise her next time she goes to visit Mama. :rockon:

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:13 am

Chrome it.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:35 am

And put big honkin' tail fins on it.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Mmmm, yes, tail fins!
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

afan95

Postby afan95 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:09 am

Haven't had to buy a refrigerator lately but I'm assuming that there was a label on the box that warned the purchaser that the item they were buying is just as dangerous as ISIS.

This is why we all need to have a gun in our home...those darn refrigerators and air conditioners. We need to be able to protect ourselves when the fridge and A/C start shooting, bombing, and knifing us.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:29 am

Hmmmm. Tail fins and a gun mount. I think a .50 caliber would fit just about right. I might have to remove a cupboard, though.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:39 am

Ammo,baby...50 Cal...that's ammo. :cheers:

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:44 am

Think of the beauty of being able to watch a football game right from your own refrigerator!
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:19 am

I'm sure the flip side of the coin will be an HDTV with it's own built-in beer cooler.

Reconquista Primero

Postby Reconquista Primero » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:56 am

I'm worried about Skynet becoming self-aware if our appliances are outfitted with all these fancy intertube thingys.
I'll take a dumb fridge or washer and dryer over a "smart" appliance every time.
Worst choices for president in my 35 + years of voting.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:19 am

The last thing I need is my appliances talking to me.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:21 am

I agree, RP. In this water-conservation world, how long can it possibly be before we have intelligent toilets that will calculate the size of the flush based on the size of the "load". Imagine the horrors that could result if that toilet communicates with a self-aware refrigerator and decides to go rogue. The last thing we need in this world is jihadist appliances.

Reconquista Primero

Postby Reconquista Primero » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:34 am

MDDad: That's exactly right! The toilet could tell the fridge to blow up the next time the door is opened!

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:39 am

I was thinking more along the lines of the refrigerator telling the toilet to shoot a cold stream of water into an unsuspecting backside with the force of a high caliber artillery shell.

Reconquista Primero

Postby Reconquista Primero » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:52 am

MDDad: Now you are just being silly. :wink:

Return to “Home and Garden”