Burger Wars

RPW

Burger Wars

Postby RPW » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:29 pm

The Habit vs Five Guys vs In n Out

For those that have tried all three I would like your thoughts??

I am The Voice of Reason

Notorious

Re: Burger Wars

Postby Notorious » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Habit>In and Out> Five Guys.

Although I'm not really a fan of any. If I'm eating a burger I want to get a good one, and usually go to The Counter.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:32 pm

I like the Habit a lot. In and Out works as well. Never been to thhe other place.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Red

Postby Red » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:33 pm

In and Out.

RPW

Postby RPW » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 pm

Notorious wrote:Habit>In and Out> Five Guys.

Although I'm not really a fan of any. If I'm eating a burger I want to get a good one, and usually go to The Counter.

Trying The Habit on Friday. I would agree with In n Out over Five Guys but FG is close with the different toppings and the size of the burger. I have heard the Counter is excellent and may have to incude them in my Burger War.
I am The Voice of Reason

AndUR??

Postby AndUR?? » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 pm

#1 In N Out
#2 Tommy Burgers
Your are one opinion away from being replaced.

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 pm

RPW wrote:

Trying The Habit on Friday. I would agree with In n Out over Five Guys but FG is close with the different toppings and the size of the burger. I have heard the Counter is excellent and may have to incude them in my Burger War.

The Counter is like Five Guys with toppings, I actually enjoy it more just because of taste but it's also more expensive so it's a trade off.

RPW

Postby RPW » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:47 pm

F
Last edited by RPW on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am The Voice of Reason

RPW

Postby RPW » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:48 pm

RPW wrote:

The Counter has just taken the lead in my book.

They serve beer.
I am The Voice of Reason

Red

Postby Red » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:49 pm

AndUR?? wrote:#1 In N Out
#2 Tommy Burgers

OMG! I totally forgot Tommy Burger.

There used to be a great Tommies next to Zeb's Boat House on Main Street in Santa Ana. Don't think they were affiliated, but the chili burger was awsome!

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:11 pm

In & Out's secret menu (chopped chilies, extra crispy fries)

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:33 pm

SoMelo wrote:In & Out's secret menu (chopped chilies, extra crispy fries)

I actually find that to be the worst part of In and Out's Menu.

Red

Postby Red » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Extra crispy fries? I never get extra crispy fries there. I wish I did.

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Soggy fries > crispy hard cut your mouth on them fries, imo.

Wiley

Postby Wiley » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Oh, R-Dub, you're a man after my own heart. I've eaten burgers from here to all points east and west. Red's post reminded me of Tommy's. Places like Fuddrucker's have allowed patrons to build their own on top of quality top cut meat. My group helped In 'n Out push the Double-Double onto their menu. We scoffed at McDonalds, Jack in Box and the rest of the franchise pretenders. Since my days of unlimited cheeseburgers has gone the way of my beachfront waistline, I'm more selective when my cravings tell me I need to reward myself.

In college we used to trek up to the original Tommy's on the corner of Rampart and Beverly off the Wilshire District. If you weren't there before or after the lunch hour you could forget about parking - Tommy's juicy-stuff didn't lend itself to take-out or eating in the car. Sometimes there was zero counter space and meals were devoured on the hood of the car.

Everything the Greek put in or on the burgers was fresh. The steak tomatoes were unmatched then as well as today. The chile wasn't enhanced with oatmeal or other extenders--well maybe a little flour so it would stick on the burgers and dogs--and was almost as good as old Charlie's on the Lido pier before a 5:00 AM fishing trip.

As the burger fates willed, one of my first real jobs out of college was headquartered on Wilshire Boulevard - just a kidney-stones throw from Tommy's. The only difference then was having to remove your tie and bringing paper towels if you ordered your burger or dogs with chili. Today, Charlie's chops its onions which I find a neater compilation to keep the burger intact.

I enjoy flavor more than the overstacked-size - if you have to slice a burger or sandwich in half to get your teeth into it your focus on taste is being obscured. Obviously, my history dictates my vote for Charlie's but when the travel distance, traffic and cost of petro aren't consided... I'm In.
[center]"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama[/center]

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:36 am

Notorious wrote:Soggy fries > crispy hard cut your mouth on them fries, imo.

If your fries are cutting your mouth, perhaps you aren't eating them correctly --:--

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:39 am

I love In-n-Out. Had a double-double there earlier this week. Good stuff maynard!

Tommy's though is pretty special.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

slowyoroll

Postby slowyoroll » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:06 am

Notorious wrote:Habit>In and Out> Five Guys.

It's insanely over priced but I also like The Counter..
I've never ordered a bun with my burger though..
Habit or Five Guys..where are they?
Never heard of them
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

Heywould

Postby Heywould » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:17 am

Wiley wrote:Oh, R-Dub, you're a man after my own heart. I've eaten burgers from here to all points east and west. Red's post reminded me of Tommy's. Places like Fuddrucker's have allowed patrons to build their own on top of quality top cut meat. My group helped In 'n Out push the Double-Double onto their menu. We scoffed at McDonalds, Jack in Box and the rest of the franchise pretenders. Since my days of unlimited cheeseburgers has gone the way of my beachfront waistline, I'm more selective when my cravings tell me I need to reward myself.

In college we used to trek up to the original Tommy's on the corner of Rampart and Beverly off the Wilshire District. If you weren't there before or after the lunch hour you could forget about parking - Tommy's juicy-stuff didn't lend itself to take-out or eating in the car. Sometimes there was zero counter space and meals were devoured on the hood of the car.

Everything the Greek put in or on the burgers was fresh. The steak tomatoes were unmatched then as well as today. The chile wasn't enhanced with oatmeal or other extenders--well maybe a little flour so it would stick on the burgers and dogs--and was almost as good as old Charlie's on the Lido pier before a 5:00 AM fishing trip.

As the burger fates willed, one of my first real jobs out of college was headquartered on Wilshire Boulevard - just a kidney-stones throw from Tommy's. The only difference then was having to remove your tie and bringing paper towels if you ordered your burger or dogs with chili. Today, Charlie's chops its onions which I find a neater compilation to keep the burger intact.

I enjoy flavor more than the overstacked-size - if you have to slice a burger or sandwich in half to get your teeth into it your focus on taste is being obscured. Obviously, my history dictates my vote for Charlie's but when the travel distance, traffic and cost of petro aren't consided... I'm In.

Did you invent the internet as well?
[font=Comic Sans MS]If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap[/font]

RPW

Postby RPW » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:18 am

Why does the taste of a Tommy's burger vary from place to place?
Last edited by RPW on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am The Voice of Reason

Return to “Food and Beverages”