Vegetarianism...

Parrotpaul

Vegetarianism...

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:29 am

My wife is a vegetarian. She has been since the mid 1980s. It is philosophic for her for the most part.

Through the years she has taught me a great deal about eating, nutrition and other healthy choices. I admire and respect her personal discipline, but other people really have a hard time accepting her choices. Where do you get your protein? Does it bother you your husband eats meat? and so on and so forth. Over the years I have come to realize that many people appear really concerned for her health rather than trying to understand her choice to be a vegetarian...she doesn't wear leather either, but she does eat dairy. She is not a vegan.

Are there any vegetarians on the board who have had to expain their choices to those skeptics who appear to be concerned moreso about what the person doesn't eat...especially family members. What other problems have you...or someone close to you...endured as a result of that lifestyle choice?

Red mentioned his GF is a vegetarian, and that has caused him to eat less meat......anyone with other experiences of the vegetarian kind?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Red

Re: Vegetarianism...

Post by Red » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:35 am

Parrotpaul wrote:My wife is a vegetarian. She has been since the mid 1980s. It is philosophic for her for the most part.

Through the years she has taught me a great deal about eating, nutrition and other healthy choices. I admire and respect her personal discipline, but other people really have a hard time accepting her choices. Where do you get your protein? Does it bother you your husband eats meat? and so on and so forth. Over the years I have come to realize that many people appear really concerned for her health rather than trying to understand her choice to be a vegetarian...she doesn't wear leather either, but she does eat dairy. She is not a vegan.

Are there any vegetarians on the board who have had to expain their choices to those skeptics who appear to be concerned moreso about what the person doesn't eat...especially family members. What other problems have you...or someone close to you...endured as a result of that lifestyle choice?

Red mentioned his GF is a vegetarian, and that has caused him to eat less meat......anyone with other experiences of the vegetarian kind?
What is a GF?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:40 am

Parrotpaul wrote: Red mentioned his GF is a vegetarian, and that has caused him to eat less meat......anyone with other experiences of the vegetarian kind?
I have cut back on red meat. Minimal white meat and occasionally completely meat free days.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 am

Red wrote:
What is a GF?
I thought I read a post where you mentioned your GF (I presume you meant girlfriend) is a vegetarian, and that has caused you to eat less meat.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Red

Post by Red » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:51 am

Parrotpaul wrote:I thought I read a post where you mentioned your GF (I presume you meant girlfriend) is a vegetarian, and that has caused you to eat less meat.
If you would like to consider my wife or 30 years my GF, so be it. Yes, it is true. I cut down red meat by about 60 - 70% and when I do eat it, I get 100% organic grass fed beef. I only fresh fish and free range chickens and eggs. I stay out of the frozen food sections and I especially stay out of the normal super markets.

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:55 am

Red wrote:
If you would like to consider my wife or 30 years my GF, so be it. Yes, it is true. I cut down red meat by about 60 - 70% and when I do eat it, I get 100% organic grass fed beef. I only fresh fish and free range chickens and eggs. I stay out of the frozen food sections and I especially stay out of the normal super markets.
:ROFL: I was wondering the same thing...I thought you were married because I believe i've met your wife once...
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:02 am

Red wrote:
If you would like to consider my wife or 30 years my GF, so be it.
I wasn't the one who first used the term. You did, but no problem...healthy eating is good eating.

Red

Post by Red » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:19 am

Parrotpaul wrote:I wasn't the one who first used the term. You did, but no problem...healthy eating is good eating.
Don't take this wrong, but I'm thinking you have me confused with another poster. No biggie. I have always LOVED vegetables! I can't think of one vegetable I don't like. I also take a multitude of vitamins with a teaspoon of elderberry every day.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:35 am

Red wrote:I can't think of one vegetable I don't like.
Okra?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Red

Post by Red » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:38 am

John Q. Public wrote: Okra?
Okra is great! Gumbo is Great!

Okra was discovered around Ethiopia during the 12th century B.C. and was cultivated by the ancient Egyptians. Speaking of Egypt....What the hell? This is not good.
Last edited by Red on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 am

Red wrote:
Okra is great! Gumbo is Great!
Gumbo isn't exactly a vegetarian dish, but it sounds OK.

Red

Post by Red » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:43 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Gumbo isn't exactly a vegetarian dish, but it sounds OK.
Doesnt matter. I could stir fry okra and eat it over rice....brown rice or basmati. Less cholesterol.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 am

I have to consciously meet a vegetarian in my life. However I have a very strict diet on what I eat, so my friends always give me crap about not eating when going to restaurants and/or fast food places.

It used to be because of my diet didn't really allow me to eat out, now I just can't eat the stuff. It causes my stomache pain, bad flatulence and/or constipation/diarrhea also certain places like Olive Garden dehydrate me for some reason. I'd be curious if vegetarians have the same diet problems if they were to eat a lot of meat at once.

PP, I am actually one of those concerned in getting enough protein as a vegetarian, and even more so as a vegan. Just seems really hard or you'd have to eat only 1 or 2 items and a lot of them to stay within a daily calorie limit while getting enough protein.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 am

PP wrote:

To which OV responds:
There's people on this board who don't eat family members? Hmmm not eating family members never even crossed my mind

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 am

Red wrote:
Doesnt matter. I could stir fry okra and eat it over rice....brown rice or basmati. Less cholesterol.
My mom makes the best Gumbo on the planet..had some about a month ago..
I mean it is serious..

Ingredients:

large crab legs
chicken wings
large shrimp
okra (little pieces)
turkey sausage
gumbo filet..

over brown rice..
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 am

What about eating out? My brother says it's hit and miss. You either get salad or the chef will take it as a challenge and come up with something really great.

Red

Post by Red » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 am

kicks2 wrote:
I mean it is serious..

Ingredients:

large crab legs
chicken wings
large shrimp
okra (little pieces)
turkey sausage
gumbo filet..

over brown rice..
Please save me some next time. Thanks

BTW, Shelly's Courthouse Bistro has good gumbo and jumbalya. 4th Street in dowtown Santa Ana.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 am

kicks2 wrote:
I mean it is serious..

Ingredients:

large crab legs
chicken wings
large shrimp
okra (little pieces)
turkey sausage
gumbo filet..

over brown rice..
Mmmmmm! You think your mom might be interested in adopting?

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:27 am

John Q. Public wrote: Mmmmmm! You think your mom might be interested in adopting?
Growing up she darn near adopted the city..she was known for it..all of our friends use
to come over when she made it..it's pretty expensive to make it right..now it's only once in awhile..

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

Red

Post by Red » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:33 am

kicks2 wrote:
Growing up she darn near adopted the city..she was known for it..all of our friends use
to come over when she made it..it's pretty expensive to make it right..now it's only once in awhile..
I'll "kick" in!