Budweiser ist ein Premium-Bier. WDF???

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Budweiser ist ein Premium-Bier. WDF???

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:04 pm

So, a friend of the Foreign Babe's is visiting from Germany for a couple weeks. She said that what he'd really like when he gets here is a nice cold beer, so I picked up a six-pack each of Amerikanisher craft brew Porter and IPA when I was at Trader Joe's. Yeah, I know a Pilsner would have made more sense but read on.

It turns out that what he really wanted was Budweiser. Apparently somebody has managed to convince people in the country that takes its Bier so seriously that they capitalize it that Bud is a premium beer. It even costs more than local Bier - and they pay it. It's been a week and I'm still having trouble with that. All I can say is that whoever is running Anheuser-Busch's marketing over there either deserves the Nobel Prize for Selling Ice to Eskimos or he should be taken out and shot, one of the two. That's just wrong.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Re: Budweiser ist ein Premium-Bier. WDF???

Post by MDDad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Having been back to Germany many times and tasted more than a few of the local brews, I can say with some certainty that the Foreign Babe's friend is one of those three-sigma outliers on the retard-o-meter.

And although German beer is indeed the nectar of the gods, the real reason Bier is capitalized is because in German, all nouns are.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:19 am

Shhhh! I knew that. But I'm pretty sure that they can't legally label Bud "Bier." They use more than just hops, malt and water to make it.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:04 am

America has Stella and Amstel, not sure how that's different than them selling Budweiser over there.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:57 pm

I developed a taste for Kronenbourgh back in the 70's, but I haven't had one for years. I like light beer...I'm no beer expert, and I only drink it in the summer and rarely then. The bride likes beer.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Red

Post by Red » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Stella sucks! Amstel sucks! Newcastle Brown Werewolf ROCKS!

Newcastle
Shocktop
Fat Tire

For cheap beer....PBR!
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:20 pm

I don't really like any of the beers you listed Red.

If I'm going with something generic I'd probably go with a Stone IPA.

If I'm going specific and buying beer at Total wine or a BevMo, I'm going for Franziskaner Dunkel Weissbier.

If I want to day drink on a hot day nothing beats a Stiegl Radler imo, also known as the Cycler in Germany.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Notorious wrote:Dunkel Weissbier
That may just be the ultimate oxymoron.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:07 pm

I know, but that's German Deutsch for you.

Red

Post by Red » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:34 pm

I like DARK beers which is 180 degrees from when I was young. Have you tried the Newcastle Brown Werewolf? I also like Chimay.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Well, red, looks like we have similar tastes in beer. I like them dark as well. I like a good bitter beer.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Darkest I'll go is a dark lager/ale.

Stouts and porters for the most part are disgusting to me. The exception being that a Guiness fresh off the line in Dublin was fantastic.

Red

Post by Red » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Well, red, looks like we have similar tastes in beer. I like them dark as well. I like a good bitter beer.

The DARKER the better! Guinness an Young's Chocolate STOUT! Damn! I'm thirsty.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Red wrote:Well, red, looks like we have similar tastes in beer.
Are you just unable to post without quoting somebody or were you trying to make it look like you were talking to yourself?

And I've also found myself gravitating to dark beers on the rare occasion that I drink beer anymore. But if German Pils tasted the same here as it does there, I'd probably drink more of it, too. Maybe my taste buds are just shot, but the stuff we get here doesn't seem to have as much flavor.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Off Topic
But speaking of good stuff to drink, I assume everybody missed the wine markdown frenzy at Fresh & Easy yesterday. I'm not sure what the purpose of it was - maybe just an annual rotation or something - but apparently all of their stores marked down a whole lot of top-shelf wines to 99 cents. Sort of a "Buy 1 get 20 Free" sale. I stumbled into the tail end of one and I got a few $12 and $13 whites but the reds were gone. They said people were buying them by the cartload. :(