Hot Sauce

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Hot Sauce

Postby not4u13 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:53 pm

What is your favorite?

I have come to love Cholula!

http://www.cholula.com/history_1.html

For my chili though there is nothing better than the original Dave's Insanity sauce.


Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:57 pm

not4u13 wrote:What is your favorite?

I have come to love Cholula!

http://www.cholula.com/history_1.html

For my chili though there is nothing better than the original Dave's Insanity sauce.
I like Cholula, and I also like Pico Pica very much....it's a staple addition to my omeletes.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/1382.html
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby SoMelo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:59 pm

not4u13 wrote:What is your favorite?

I have come to love Cholula!

http://www.cholula.com/history_1.html

For my chili though there is nothing better than the original Dave's Insanity sauce.


[font=Comic Sans MS]Cholula is a good one. My favorite is so ghetto it doesn't even have a website, El Pato[/font]

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby not4u13 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:05 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: I like Cholula, and I also like Pico Pica very much....it's a staple addition to my omeletes.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/1382.html


I've had that. We bought several bottles from Costco. The kids didn't like it but I thought it was good.

Tapatio is OK too if I can't get any Cholula but Pico Pica is a different sort of sauce than either Cholula or Tapatio.

http://www.tapatiohotsauce.com/home.html
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby GOODave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:10 pm

not4u13 wrote:What is your favorite?

I have come to love Cholula!

http://www.cholula.com/history_1.html

For my chili though there is nothing better than the original Dave's Insanity sauce.

I don't want to burn my taste buds into unrecognizability.

I'm good with just a good ol' dash or two of Tobasco Sauce (red). When in doubt, stick with the original.

dave

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Pico Pica also works very well as a part of a bloody Mary mix.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby not4u13 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Julius wrote:
[font=Comic Sans MS]Cholula is a good one. My favorite is so ghetto it doesn't even have a website, El Pato[/font]


It has been awhile since I have had any El Pato ... but they do have a web site ... sort of.

http://www.walkerfoods.net/El_Pato.html

I am going to have to get me a bottle to remind me of the flavor.

I have never liked any form of Tabasco because I can always taste the vinegar.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

User avatar
Buc Pride
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:31 am

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby Buc Pride » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:16 pm

Red Rooster

Image
rent saw

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby SoMelo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:17 pm

not4u13 wrote:
It has been awhile since I have had any El Pato ... but they do have a web site ... sort of.

http://www.walkerfoods.net/El_Pato.html

I am going to have to get me a bottle to remind me of the flavor.

I have never liked any form of Tabasco because I can always taste the vinegar.

[font=Comic Sans MS]I've never had it in a bottle, strictly canned. I'll have to look for it next time I'm in a store[/font]

THe Nug
Posts: 1879
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby THe Nug » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Image

Grill up some Boneless chicken breast. Mix a little with BBQ sauce and you have a great dipping sauce.

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby not4u13 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:07 pm

THe Nug wrote:Image

Grill up some Boneless chicken breast. Mix a little with BBQ sauce and you have a great dipping sauce.


I use that stuff on Chinese food. I love to douse my chow mein with it. I had not considered mixing it with BBQ sauce. What a great idea!
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 18368
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:34 pm

THe Nug wrote:Image

The best there is. But I do like the flavor of Pico Pica mild sauce. Otherwise, I make my own with whatever's in the garden, usually Serranos, Jalapenos and Habaneros. It makes Cholula seem like catsup.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby AsIfYouKnew » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:01 pm

Best damn BBQ sauce I ever had was here:

http://www.seattledining.com/ARCHIVE/re ... dixies.htm

The owner walks around asking if you "want to meet the man", stirring his home made hot sauce. Once I saw a guy keep asking for more, only to cry like a baby after eating it.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby tLIB » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:29 pm

I usually pick mine up at the 99 cent store. I get a variety. Right now we are using El Patio. It is good. It does have some vinegar, but it doesn't have a strong taste like others.

Pinky
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby Pinky » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:56 am

Daves SCOTCH BONNET HOT SAUCEis by far my all round favorite. Hot enough to warm the palette, but not so hot as to overwhelm the food. I like with eggs, grilled shrimp, tacos, stuffed peppers....

Absolutely worth a try.

Also, there is a brand of hot sauce appropriate for dessert, Toad Sweat. If you haven't had a large bowl of ice cream laced with hot sauce you haven't lived. I like my vanilla with Chocolate Orange hot sauce.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 18368
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:30 am

Pinky wrote:Daves SCOTCH BONNET HOT SAUCEis by far my all round favorite. Hot enough to warm the palette, but not so hot as to overwhelm the food. I like with eggs, grilled shrimp, tacos, stuffed peppers....

Absolutely worth a try.

Also, there is a brand of hot sauce appropriate for dessert, Toad Sweat. If you haven't had a large bowl of ice cream laced with hot sauce you haven't lived. I like my vanilla with Chocolate Orange hot sauce.

Yum! A little dash of cayenne adds a nice bite to hot fudge sauce, also.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Return to “Food and Beverages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest