Wolves

Grilled Cheese

Post by Wolves » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:09 pm

I am willing to share my grilled cheese sandwich recipe. It is the only thing
I know how to make.

SoMelo

Re: Grilled Cheese

Post by SoMelo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Wolves wrote:I am willing to share my grilled cheese sandwich recipe. It is the only thing
I know how to make.
Okay... ??? Where is it?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:11 pm

A grilled cheese sandwich is a terrific snack while reading CANNERY ROW. Did you start that book yet? BTW...grilled cheese with grape jelly spread on the top piece of grilled bread is like the bees knees.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:A grilled cheese sandwich is a terrific snack while reading CANNERY ROW. Did you start that book yet?
I like grilled pepper cheese with vine ripened tomatoes sandwiches...

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Julius wrote:
I like grilled pepper cheese with vine ripened tomatoes sandwiches...
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches on toast.

Philidelphia creme cheese and grape jelly on a bagel.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches on toast.

Philidelphia creme cheese and grape jelly on a bagel.
Anything that has my home grown (Haas) avocados on it (yummmmmmy)

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Julius wrote:my home grown (Haas) avocados
Are you single? You busy this weekend? I think I just fell in love. =P~

But seriously, how big is your tree? I'd like to plant one but the only ones I've seen were pretty big and I don't really have a good spot for a big tree. Do you know if they can be kept small?

ThomasDad

Post by ThomasDad » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:47 pm

I guess I can share my recipe for beef broth.

° Take a large pot of water and boil a large piece of beef in it.

Girls, it's a real man-pleaser!

kevinhurl

Post by kevinhurl » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:51 pm

Grilled cheese for me consists of a thick slice of ham and the stinkiest swiss cheese you can find.....Yumm.
May the roof above us never fall in.
And may the friends gathered below it never fall out.
More World Championships than any other team in the NFL.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:20 pm

John Q. Public wrote: Are you single? You busy this weekend? I think I just fell in love. =P~

But seriously, how big is your tree? I'd like to plant one but the only ones I've seen were pretty big and I don't really have a good spot for a big tree. Do you know if they can be kept small?
My tree is huge and very old (house is 60 years old this year). I thought it was dying a few years back, but I had my gardener cut off all the dead branches; gave it some avocado fertilizer, TLC and it started thriving. This past year was the biggest crop since I've lived here (13 years). I don't know how small you want to keep your tree, but the avocados highest up, were the biggest and standing on a 10 ft ladder with an 8ft avocado picker no one could reach them. I learned from the guy I bought my house from (friend of the family for over 40 years), you have to wait until the oils in the avocado are just right before you pick them, and I'll tell ya it makes all the difference in the world. Crop is done for the season and this year will be a smaller crop, but I will let you know when they are ready.
I hate the Santa Ana's this time of year, because I see the little baby avocados on the ground and only think what could of been.... :(

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:59 pm

Julius wrote:My tree is huge and very old (house is 60 years old this year). I thought it was dying a few years back, but I had my gardener cut off all the dead branches; gave it some avocado fertilizer, TLC and it started thriving. This past year was the biggest crop since I've lived here (13 years). I don't know how small you want to keep your tree, but the avocados highest up, were the biggest and standing on a 10 ft ladder with an 8ft avocado picker no one could reach them. I learned from the guy I bought my house from (friend of the family for over 40 years), you have to wait until the oils in the avocado are just right before you pick them, and I'll tell ya it makes all the difference in the world. Crop is done for the season and this year will be a smaller crop, but I will let you know when they are ready.
I hate the Santa Ana's this time of year, because I see the little baby avocados on the ground and only think what could of been.... :(
Yeah, every avocado tree I've ever been familiar with has been pretty huge and I don't want to block that much sunlight. But then again, there's always the front yard.... Some people down the street planted about 10 fruit trees in their front yard and parking strip a couple years ago. The place is going to look like a small orchard in another couple years. The nectarines were tasty. I hope they got some, too. :wink:

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:08 pm

John Q. Public wrote: Yeah, every avocado tree I've ever been familiar with has been pretty huge and I don't want to block that much sunlight. But then again, there's always the front yard.... Some people down the street planted about 10 fruit trees in their front yard and parking strip a couple years ago. The place is going to look like a small orchard in another couple years. The nectarines were tasty. I hope they got some, too. :wink:
My avocado tree is in my front yard along with a tangelo, sapote, blood orange, lemon, olive and 2 apple trees. My backyard has about 4 orange trees, 1 grapefruit and a bunch of non-fruit trees (kinda like a rainforest).
The avocado tree is on the side of the driveway and unfortunaelty you have to be careful parking under it (will leave dents)

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:52 pm

Julius wrote: My avocado tree is in my front yard along with a tangelo, sapote, blood orange, lemon, olive and 2 apple trees. My backyard has about 4 orange trees, 1 grapefruit and a bunch of non-fruit trees (kinda like a rainforest).
Geez! You looking for a roommate? I have a lemon, a lime, a volunteer fig tree just over the back fence and a 1 year-old nectarine tree. I'll probably add a couple more this Spring. I have all this ground; I might as well put it to use. And I'm one of two people I know who'd actually want to take advantage of having an olive tree.

WileyWolverine

Post by WileyWolverine » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 pm

kevinhurl wrote:Grilled cheese for me consists of a thick slice of ham and the stinkiest swiss cheese you can find.....Yumm.
Grew up with Velvetta cheese sammies toasted with butter in a frying pan.
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW

GO LAKERS

ND7

Post by ND7 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:25 pm

WileyWolverine wrote:Grew up with Velvetta cheese sammies toasted with butter in a frying pan.
2 slices of white bread (.5-.10 a loaf at the day old store)
Thick slice of velvetta cheese
Wrap in foil
Place pre-heated clothes iron on top (stove not working)
Flip over and repeat :oops:
"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."
St. Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:09 pm

ND7 wrote: 2 slices of white bread (.5-.10 a loaf at the day old store)
Thick slice of velvetta cheese
Wrap in foil
Place pre-heated clothes iron on top (stove not working)
Flip over and repeat :oops:
Aaaahhhhh! Bachelor food!

Nothing like a grilled cheese sandwich actually grilled in butter, though. But skip the Velveeta. Tillamook or Colby for me. I like cheap wine but cheap cheese, forget it.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:37 am

John Q. Public wrote: Are you single? You busy this weekend? I think I just fell in love. =P~

To a large extent, you control the size of the tree. Get one that is pretty small and spindly to start (and, of course, it will take a few years before it starts producing) but after the harvest, you prune the tree to keep it the size you want it.

I planted one in my landlord's yard back before I moved here. He lived in Covina at the time.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:09 am

GOODave wrote:
To a large extent, you control the size of the tree. Get one that is pretty small and spindly to start (and, of course, it will take a few years before it starts producing) but after the harvest, you prune the tree to keep it the size you want it.

I planted one in my landlord's yard back before I moved here. He lived in Covina at the time.
There also has to be another avocado tree in the area for it to breed with before it will produce

bandwagon

Post by bandwagon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:20 am

I know this has nothing to do with grilled cheese but this is a good breakfast
Bohemian Apple Waffles
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup chopped, peeled apple
Fresh fruit (optional)
2 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 egg whites
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Maple syrup, warmed
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cooking oil
Butter or margarine

Steps:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In another bowl, beat egg yolks slightly. Beat in milk and cooking oil. Add the egg-yolk mixture to the flour mixture all at once. Stir just until combined, but still slightly lumpy. Stir in the chopped apple.

2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (peaks stand straight). Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter, leaving a few fluffs of egg white. Do not over mix.

3. Pour some of the batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle baker. Close lid quickly; don't open during baking. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with remaining batter.

4. Serve with warm maple syrup and butter. Top with fresh fruit, if you like. Makes about 4 waffles.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 am

This is making me hungry for Mollie's in San Juan Cap...crazy huge omelettes and blueberry pancakes.