Need a good chili recipe

~44~

Need a good chili recipe

Post by ~44~ » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:36 pm

I've never cooked chili in my life and I entered a chili cook off this weekend.

I'm lost??

So far i've searched the net for a few good Crockpot recipes but they are unproven.

Help a fellow OC Connect message board friend out....

Thanks in advance
Hi

SoMelo

Re: Need a good chili recipe

Post by SoMelo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:45 pm

~44~ wrote:I've never cooked chili in my life and I entered a chili cook off this weekend.

I'm lost??

So far i've searched the net for a few good Crockpot recipes but they are unproven.

Thanks in advance
I have a really good white chili recipe I can send you when I get home (use chicken breast and white beans) :thumbsup:

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:02 pm

~44~ wrote:I've never cooked chili in my life and I entered a chili cook off this weekend.

I'm lost??
Have you lost your mind? Why would you do that?

But...good luck...you might even win.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm lost??

Thanks in advance
I have a recipe for Dolphin Chili.

~44~

Post by ~44~ » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:22 pm

SoMelo wrote: I have a really good white chili recipe I can send you when I get home (use chicken breast and white beans) :thumbsup:
White chili?
sounds interesting..
Hi

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:14 pm

~44~ wrote:
White chili?
sounds interesting..
Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 15-ounce cans great northern beans, rinsed
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 cups diced cooked skinless turkey, or chicken
2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Preparation
Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chiles, oregano, cumin and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in beans and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add turkey (or chicken) and vinegar; cook for 5 minutes more.

I've also thrown it in a crockpot on low when I had to prepare it in advance...

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:54 am

All I've got are tips for you: My recipe is hodge-podge and has never been written down:
  • ANY recipe you use, reduce the liquid by a half cup and replace it with a half cup of beer (drink the rest of the beer);
  • Ground Turkey Sausage is every bit as good as pork sausage but not nearly as greasy;
  • Always use beans AND meat in your chili. If you crock it, put the beans in at the end...say for only the last hour of cooking;
  • Regardless of how you prepare it, cook it up the day before and let it rest in the 'fridge overnight: Heat it up on low, stirring regularly;
  • fine-chopped red onions, shredded cheddar, and saltines are the only condiments needed for chili;
  • Taste as you go: Cumin and Cayenne, in particular, are subjective tastes...and aging the chili (cooking the day before and letting it rest) only enhances the spices;
  • If you've got a really sophisticated chili audience, try using a game animal (venison, as an example) as your meat. Definitely sets your chili apart from the others: OF course, cook all the meat BEFORE you combine it into the crock..