Who was better, Jordan or Gretzky?

Notorious

Re: Who was better, Jordan or Gretzky?

Post by Notorious »

THETRUTH wrote:
Alex has great physical skills, but despite many offers, he never ventured outside of wrestling, shaking his hand was like shaking a first basemens mit, but no way is he a better athlete than Neal, not even close.
Karelin is up there because I think if MMA was as big now as it was back then he could have dominated there. I know he was offered and he stayed in his one sport but I do think he's one of the greatest athletes of all time even if he never ventured out of his sport.

Stephen Neal was an solid offensive lineman, he wasn't great.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Notorious wrote: Karelin is up there because I think if MMA was as big now as it was back then he could have dominated there. I know he was offered and he stayed in his one sport but I do think he's one of the greatest athletes of all time even if he never ventured out of his sport.

Stephen Neal was an solid offensive lineman, he wasn't great.
There are hundreds of candidates for the top five spots. "If's" and "could have's" aren't enough to get you on the list.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

MDDad wrote:
There are hundreds of candidates for the top five spots. "If's" and "could have's" aren't enough to get you on the list.
I don't even think there's hundreds, there aren't that many people who were excellent at multiple sports.
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

THETRUTH wrote:

I hear the kitchen calling, get back to work women!
I hear your mental health worker calling..You forgot your meds you bat **** crazy freak!
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

MDDad wrote:Stephen Neal was an solid offensive lineman, he wasn't great.

Lets see, solid on an oustanding team which won three superbowls, great in another sport and overall natural abilities. I would think that proves he is a little better than average athlete. Like I said when I gave that list, off the top of my head, Jordan is way down the athlete list!

Karelin is basically the same age as Courture and sopped wrestling in 2000, that was 11 years ago. He went into politics, one of the few Russioan Wrestlers who is not mobbed up.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

THETRUTH wrote:

Lets see, solid on an oustanding team which won three superbowls, great in another sport and overall natural abilities. I would think that proves he is a little better than average athlete. Like I said when I gave that list, off the top of my head, Jordan is way down the athlete list!

Karelin is basically the same age as Courture and sopped wrestling in 2000, that was 11 years ago. He went into politics, one of the few Russioan Wrestlers who is not mobbed up.
2 of those Super Bowls he didn't even play 99% of the games.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

THETRUTH wrote:

I agree with what you say, but I, uh, didn't write that quote.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

slowyoroll wrote:
I hear your mental health worker calling..You forgot your meds you bat **** crazy freak!

Wrong, I never forget my meds, I Like them to much, hahaha.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

MDDad wrote:
I agree with what you say, but I, uh, didn't write that quote.
Yes, it was NOTO, sorry!
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Had Mario Lemieux been healthy his entire career, I believe he might have eclipsed Gretzky.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Parrotpaul wrote:Had Mario Lemieux been healthy his entire career, I believe he might have eclipsed Gretzky.
He could never have eclipsed Gretzky's numbers, because the defensive emphasis in the game had emerged by then. However, he might have surpassed Gretzky in many people's subjective judgements. Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr on the same line for many more years would have been as scary a combination as I can remember.
~44~

Post by ~44~ »

MDDad wrote:
He could never have eclipsed Gretzky's numbers, because the defensive emphasis in the game had emerged by then. However, he might have surpassed Gretzky in many people's subjective judgements. Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr on the same line for many more years would have been as scary a combination as I can remember.
Jaromir signed with the Philadelphia Flyers last month.
Hi
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

~44~ wrote:
Jaromir signed with the Philadelphia Flyers last month.
I saw that...he must need the bucks. I believe his rookie year wa 91-92.

Here's a good Sports Illustrated article about hockey's greatest lines.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Notorious wrote: 2 of those Super Bowls he didn't even play 99% of the games.
The first you are correct, the second he was the season opening starter and suffered a season ending injury diving backwards for a fumble, 100% team player who always sacrificed his body for the team and Tom Brady, but lets let Bill have the final say:

Patriots coach Bill Belichick paid retiring offensive lineman Stephen Neal a high compliment in a statement today:

"They don't come any better than Steve Neal. In terms of improvement and development as a player, Steve may have accomplished more than any player I have ever been around. His toughness, intelligence and competitiveness were at rare levels and all contributed to him going from being a champion in an individual sport to being an integral part of championship teams. I congratulate Steve for an incredible career and thank him for everything he did for me personally, our team and organization."

Not your typical Belichick statement!
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

THETRUTH wrote:
The first you are correct, the second he was the season opening starter and suffered a season ending injury diving backwards for a fumble, 100% team player who always sacrificed his body for the team and Tom Brady, but lets let Bill have the final say:

Patriots coach Bill Belichick paid retiring offensive lineman Stephen Neal a high compliment in a statement today:

"They don't come any better than Steve Neal. In terms of improvement and development as a player, Steve may have accomplished more than any player I have ever been around. His toughness, intelligence and competitiveness were at rare levels and all contributed to him going from being a champion in an individual sport to being an integral part of championship teams. I congratulate Steve for an incredible career and thank him for everything he did for me personally, our team and organization."

Not your typical Belichick statement!
How many Pro Bowls did he make?
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Notorious wrote: How many Pro Bowls did he make?
Zero, 10 year career, how many world championships do you have?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Parrotpaul wrote: I saw that...he must need the bucks. I believe his rookie year wa 91-92.

Here's a good Sports Illustrated article about hockey's greatest lines.
Interesting to note...no Gretzky lines and neither did they include that great Flyers line of the mid 70s Bill Barber, Reggie Leach, and Bobby Clarke.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

THETRUTH wrote:

Are you being dumb on purpose? Did I put my name in greatest athlete?
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

THETRUTH wrote:

Stephen Neal was a great player...considering he never played college football, but over his nine year career he had beacoups injuries...he sat for two of the SBs and missed many games after the three Super Bowl wins. Terrific player and athlete....but not in the same league as Gretzky or Jordan.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Parrotpaul wrote: Stephen Neal was a great player...considering he never played college football, but over his nine year career he had beacoups injuries...he sat for two of the SBs and missed many games after the three Super Bowl wins. Terrific player and athlete....but not in the same league as Gretzky or Jordan.
I would never say that he was in the same league as Gretzky or Jordan as a player in one sport, but as an athlete who competed at the highest level in two sports, not to mention his overall athletic skills, he far and away surpasses both of them, like so many other athletes.