Who was better, Jordan or Gretzky?

Parrotpaul

Re: Who was better, Jordan or Gretzky?

Post by Parrotpaul »

THETRUTH wrote:
I would never say that he was in the same league as Gretzky or Jordan as a player in one sport, but as an athlete who competed at the highest level in two sports, not to mention his overall athletic skills, he far and away surpasses both of them, like so many other athletes.
Sorry, as much as I like and respect Stephen Neal for his professionalism and his natural abilities, he in no way surpasses Jordan who also played pro baseball and was considered as one of the better defensive basketball players in the league.

[youtube][/youtube]
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Parrotpaul wrote: Sorry, as much as I like and respect Stephen Neal for his professionalism and his natural abilities, he in no way surpasses Jordan who also played pro baseball and was considered as one of the better defensive basketball players in the league.

[youtube][/youtube]
Jordan was an average minor league player. I have seen Steve dunk a basketball in a pick-up and play water polo against college players. All I am saying is neither Jordan or Greztky played a "second sport" at its "highest level" and many others including Steve Neal did. Look at the video I posted when Steve is carrying the ball, that is an athlete when yo combine other talents.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

I hope the Patriots can fill Steve Neal's spot with someone equally as dedicated and talented as he was.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Parrotpaul wrote:I hope the Patriots can fill Steve Neal's spot with someone equally as dedicated and talented as he was.
Which is it?
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

THETRUTH wrote:
Jordan was an average minor league player. I have seen Steve dunk a basketball in a pick-up and play water polo against college players. All I am saying is neither Jordan or Greztky played a "second sport" at its "highest level" and many others including Steve Neal did. Look at the video I posted when Steve is carrying the ball, that is an athlete when yo combine other talents.
I just don't think it's right to consider Neal top 5 athletes of all time, that just sound ridiculous.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

When I think about the best athletes of all time (keeping in mind I'm much younger than 98% of the men here) I think about 3

Bo Jackson
Jim Brown
Dion Sanders
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Notorious wrote: I just don't think it's right to consider Neal top 5 athletes of all time, that just sound ridiculous.
Yeah, and as to a double sport athlete, Danny Ainge was as good as most of the others...much more dominant than was Neal....ask any Boston sports fan. He was a high school All-American in baseball, basketball, and football, won the John Wooden Award while at BYU, in addition to playing in the MLB and NBA.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Notorious wrote: I just don't think it's right to consider Neal top 5 athletes of all time, that just sound ridiculous.
This was the post my response was to:
Charles wrote:Hard to fathom someone would think there was/is an athlete better than Jordan.
and this was my response:
THETRUTH wrote: Please, Jordan was a great basketball player, 3rd best all-time; but top five athletes ever, not even close, so says all the grandmas and grandpas who watched him play minor league baseball.

I could name 5 NFL football players off the top of my head who were better athletes.

Bo Jackson
Jim Thorpe
Dieon Sanders
Stephen Neal
OJ Simpson

First of all, when I posted that, I wrote, "off the time of my head". I have known the family for years, should I have excluded him?

Secondly, I think he and many others were better athletes than both Gretzky and Jordan, if one asked me who was the best all-time players in their specific sport, they are certainly in the conversation and none of the five guys I mentioned in response to athletes would be in the discussion.

It is rather unfair to critisize me for what yo think my response was to, curse of the internet.
Last edited by THETRUTH on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Parrotpaul wrote: Interesting to note...no Gretzky lines and neither did they include that great Flyers line of the mid 70s Bill Barber, Reggie Leach, and Bobby Clarke.

Great to see the Triple Crown line in there with [in the legendary John Ramsey's deep booming PA voice] "Goal by Number 16" Marcel Dionne.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Parrotpaul wrote: Yeah, and as to a double sport athlete, Danny Ainge was as good as most of the others...much more dominant than was Neal....ask any Boston sports fan. He was a high school All-American in baseball, basketball, and football, won the John Wooden Award while at BYU, in addition to playing in the MLB and NBA.
The John Wooden award is like the Heisman Trophy for football and the Dan Hodge award for wrestling. Neal actually was a better wrestler in college than Ainge was a basketball player, four time All-American (4th, 2nd, 1st and 1st in the NCAA's). Ainge was a very good athlete though, better than Gretzky, no doubt, most likely a little better than Jordan.

Ainge's baseball career:

Ainge was selected in baseball's 1977 amateur draft by Toronto. He made it to the major leagues with the Blue Jays in 1979 while still in college. Mostly a second baseman, he played third base and outfield positions as well, hitting .220 in his baseball career with 2 home runs and 146 hits in 211 games. He is the youngest player in Blue Jays history to hit a home run at 20 years and 77 days. Ainge played on the losing end of Len Barker's 1981 perfect game, going 0-for-2.

After three years with the Blue Jays, Ainge decided to pursue a career in basketball and was chosen in the 1981 NBA Draft by the Boston Celtics, who had to buy out Ainge's contract from the Blue Jays after a legal battle

I would have to take Neal but athletic between the two in terms of overall careers, but most likely equal in their own way of being athletes. Ainge was only a one time first team college AA in basketball and one time WAC player of the year. Neal was like I said a 4X AA, 2X National champion, 4X Pac-10 Champion, 3X Pac-10 MVP and lead his team to what wold be like being in the Elite 8 twice and final four once with 2 Pac-10 Championships at a 5,000 student school.