National Anthem/god bless America at Sporting Events

Charles

National Anthem/god bless America at Sporting Events

Post by Charles »

Would prefer these were not included.
It's a baseball (or football..) game. No need to sing patriotic songs.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-pla ... rack=icymi
SoMelo

Re: National Anthem/god bless America at Sporting Events

Post by SoMelo »

Charles wrote:Would prefer these were not included.

I don't attend enough games to be bugged by it (could be a different story if I was a season ticket holder). However, I'd rather a band play it or have it as a sing-a-long. I'm sick and tired of listening to someone totally demolish it (there should be a law forbidding a opera rendition)
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

SoMelo wrote: I don't attend enough games to be bugged by it (could be a different story if I was a season ticket holder). However, I'd rather a band play it or have it as a sing-a-long. I'm sick and tired of listening to someone totally demolish it (there should be a law forbidding a opera rendition)

Agreed, some versions are hit and miss.
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

Like Rosanne Barr??...or Christina Agulara?? :lol:
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Biscuit wrote:Like Rosanne Barr??...or Christina Agulara?? :lol:
Rosanne has made an attempt to redeem herself (not bad).. Christina? Not yet
[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

Why do you hate America?
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
Charles

Post by Charles »

18echo wrote: Why do you hate America?

Why do you ask invalid questions?
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

I think that during activities such as these it is the BEST time to sing such songs, so that we can be reminded just how lucky we are.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

I have always felt fortunate to have been born in this country. I have never needed reminding.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Parrotpaul wrote:I have always felt fortunate to have been born in this country. I have never needed reminding.
How nice for you. Others seem to need to be reminded all the time.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Parrotpaul wrote:I have always felt fortunate to have been born in this country. I have never needed reminding.
AsIfYouKnew wrote:How nice for you. Others seem to need to be reminded all the time.
Really? The people I know and interact with have never voiced any sentiments that would cause one to believe they have felt bad about being an American or desiring to live in another country because America was no longer a desirable place to live.....ever.

Was your opening remark necessary to advance the discussion, or was that about something else?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
Red

Post by Red »

Parrotpaul wrote:
How nice for you. Others seem to need to be reminded all the time.
AsIfYouKnew wrote:Really? The people I know and interact with have never voiced any sentiments that would cause one to believe they have felt bad about being an American or desiring to live in another country because America was no longer a desirable place to live.....ever.
](*,)
cal redwood

Post by cal redwood »

To question why things are done in our society on a mass scale, is on of the highest forms of patriotism. The MIC and pentagon folks that have our country in a perpetual war state love the mixture of war songs and sporting events. Hundred thousand dollar F-16 flyovers leave strong impressions on young fans.
I would like to hear "This Land is Your Land" instead of God Bless America. I would like to see Peace minded people honored at sporting events. I know that the chances of this happening are equivalent to 15 year teachers making lobbyist type money.
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Parrotpaul wrote:

Really? The people I know and interact with have never voiced any sentiments that would cause one to believe they have felt bad about being an American or desiring to live in another country because America was no longer a desirable place to live.....ever.

Was your opening remark necessary to advance the discussion, or was that about something else?
I really don't know why I even respond to your posts. You seem to be on some kind of manic cycle of late. I make an innocuous statement like "how nice for you" and you try to turn it into an attack.
Jonathan Swift

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

cal redwood wrote:To question why things are done in our society on a mass scale, is on of the highest forms of patriotism. The MIC and pentagon folks that have our country in a perpetual war state love the mixture of war songs and sporting events. Hundred thousand dollar F-16 flyovers leave strong impressions on young fans.
I would like to hear "This Land is Your Land" instead of God Bless America. I would like to see Peace minded people honored at sporting events. I know that the chances of this happening are equivalent to 15 year teachers making lobbyist type money.
Right on.

It doesn't get much more American than Woodie Guthrie and his music.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:How nice for you. Others seem to need to be reminded all the time.
Parrotpaul wrote:

AsIfYouKnew wrote: I really don't know why I even respond to your posts. You seem to be on some kind of manic cycle of late. I make an innocuous statement like "how nice for you" and you try to turn it into an attack.
No attack. The comment wasn't quite as innocuous as you thought it to be. I thought it was sarcastically snarky. Maybe I was wrong...if so, I apologize.

You will have decide whether or not to respond to my posts. I can't make that decision for you.
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Parrotpaul wrote:

No attack. The comment wasn't quite as innocuous as you thought it to be. I thought it was sarcastically snarky. Maybe I was wrong...if so, I apologize.

You will have decide whether or not to respond to my posts. I can't make that decision for you.
"You thought". I know we have some history, Paul, but I think you could be a little more generous rather than trying to read my mind. I will be happy to respond to your posts, especially if they are less abrasive.
Jonathan Swift

Red

Post by Red »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
"You thought". I know we have some history, Paul, but I think you could be a little more generous rather than trying to read my mind. I will be happy to respond to your posts, especially if they are less abrasive.
Blame it on Tanpa Bay. for coming back from the 7 - 0 deficit and beat the Yankees. Wait a moment, do you think the Yankees, gave that game away?
Charles

Post by Charles »

Red wrote:
do you think the Yankees, gave that game away?
...to knock out their arch rivals boston?

Probably not but it sure makes for fun speculation.
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

18echo wrote:Why do you hate America?
Charles wrote:Why do you ask invalid questions?
I don't know, I guess it's just the brainwashing. 8)

I have sometimes wondered why sporting events are the only venue that we hear/sing the National Anthem...
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."