Angels 2012

Post Reply
MDDad
Posts: 12146
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Angels 2012

Post by MDDad »

Is it time to start this thread yet?

1. It’s been 25 days since Tony Reagins resigned/was fired. The major league baseball free agency period could start as early as Thursday, and the Angels aren’t close to having anyone in place to begin that critical period. Typical?

2. Is is just me? Every time I see Mike Napoli hit another homerun or get another key hit, I want to punch Mike Scioscia in the face. Napoli goes to Texas and hits 50 points higher than he ever did in Anaheim, slugs 50 points higher, and has an OBP 40 points higher. Meanwhile, we have three catchers who this year hit .174, .189 and .209. Napoli has become the best offensive catcher in the major leagues and is arguably the MVP of the World Series so far, while Scioscia continues to let Jeff Mathis impersonate a major league hitter five nights a week. Mike’s ongoing infatuation with Jeff has got to be some kind of funky sexual catcher thing. There can be no other explanation.

3. It was announced today that John Lackey will have Tommy John surgery and miss the entire 2012 season. That’s after sucking all of 2011. For once, Tony Reagins’ complete incompetence in signing a free agent has worked to our advantage.

4. And finally, I heard Mike Napoli interviewed on sports radio today. He said that in past years, he always swung at two-strike pitches just as hard as he did at pitches earlier in the count. This year, he said he learned to back off with two strikes and it has made him a much better hitter. Thank you, Mickey Hatcher. It only took one year away from Anaheim for Napoli to learn how to hit. Hatcher has the distinction of being the only hitting coach in major league history to spend ten years with one club and not be able to point to one single player that he made into a better hitter. How this guy has pulled down a fat major league salary for ten years, and never been held accountable for not being able to help his hitters, is beyond me. When it comes to being coated in Teflon, John Gotti had nothing on Mickey Hatcher.

Comments?
User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: Angels 2012

Post by Notorious »

Angels sucking makes me so happy.

That's my only comment really.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by sbayhills »

MDDad wrote:Is it time to start this thread yet?

1. It’s been 25 days since Tony Reagins resigned/was fired. The major league baseball free agency period could start as early as Thursday, and the Angels aren’t close to having anyone in place to begin that critical period. Typical?

2. Is is just me? Every time I see Mike Napoli hit another homerun or get another key hit, I want to punch Mike Scioscia in the face. Napoli goes to Texas and hits 50 points higher than he ever did in Anaheim, slugs 50 points higher, and has an OBP 40 points higher. Meanwhile, we have three catchers who this year hit .174, .189 and .209. Napoli has become the best offensive catcher in the major leagues and is arguably the MVP of the World Series so far, while Scioscia continues to let Jeff Mathis impersonate a major league hitter five nights a week. Mike’s ongoing infatuation with Jeff has got to be some kind of funky sexual catcher thing. There can be no other explanation.

3. It was announced today that John Lackey will have Tommy John surgery and miss the entire 2012 season. That’s after sucking all of 2011. For once, Tony Reagins’ complete incompetence in signing a free agent has worked to our advantage.

4. And finally, I heard Mike Napoli interviewed on sports radio today. He said that in past years, he always swung at two-strike pitches just as hard as he did at pitches earlier in the count. This year, he said he learned to back off with two strikes and it has made him a much better hitter. Thank you, Mickey Hatcher. It only took one year away from Anaheim for Napoli to learn how to hit. Hatcher has the distinction of being the only hitting coach in major league history to spend ten years with one club and not be able to point to one single player that he made into a better hitter. How this guy has pulled down a fat major league salary for ten years, and never been held accountable for not being able to help his hitters, is beyond me. When it comes to being coated in Teflon, John Gotti had nothing on Mickey Hatcher.

Comments?
Scioscia is a very stubborn individual, and has a hard time admitting that he is wrong. He also values friendship and loyalty. Sometimes at the expense of his employer and the fans.
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by GOODave »

I'm trying not to be one of those guys.

I live right smack-dab in the middle between the Cardinals fans and the Cubs fans (there are SOME white sox fans, but they're not really much of a force, downstate). Rabid fans abound here: Those guys who laud and praise everyone connected with the team when they're doing well, chew them up and spit them out when they aren't ... yet always the fan.

The Angels have fallen on some hard times and, like dutiful Cubs fans, we are tempted to fall into one of the two camps: "There's always next year <shrug>" or "damn [manager/owner/---coach]"

~But~

I'm afraid, this time, MDDad's right. JUST YESTERDAY, at lunch, I was telling some co-workers the exact same thing about Napoli and wondering when Vlad would blossom again (O.K., might be too late for Vlad)... and I made a similar observation about Lackey last week.

It might be time for a change but, if experience is any indicator, Moreno is approximately the last one to clue in. I realize he likes to play his cards close to the vest, but with free agency just around the corner, I find it disconcerting (from a "sigh, here we go again" perspective) that we aren't hearing anything about his interests or plans...


I KNOW: We can get Guillen to replace Scoscia! Something like that would guarantee that I would move my fan-dom. "To Whom, though?" would be the only remaining question.
User avatar
~44~
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:54 am

Re: Angels 2012

Post by ~44~ »

I love Mickey Hatcher. Remember when he used to sprint around the bases in 1988? So cool.

Napoli = H.O.F
Hi
MDDad
Posts: 12146
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Angels 2012

Post by MDDad »

~44~ wrote:I love Mickey Hatcher. Remember when he used to sprint around the bases in 1988? So cool.

Napoli = H.O.F
1. I only know two things about Mickey Hatcher. He is the most unsuccessful hitting coach in the history of mankind. And he once stripped bare-ass naked and sat on another player's birthday cake in the clubhouse.

2. Even Steve Garvey will get into the Hall of Fame before Mike Napoli.
OPINIONATED
Posts: 1411
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:37 am

Re: Angels 2012

Post by OPINIONATED »

MDDad wrote:Every time I see Mike Napoli hit another homerun or get another key hit, I want to punch Mike Scioscia in the face.Comments?
We had a pretty lengthy discussion about this a few months ago. (May 4th to be exact.) At the time, Mathis was right up there around the Mendoza line. Unfortunately, he fell to .174 with 3 HR's, while Napoli's 30 HR's was supported by a .320 average. To make it even more painful, Napoli had one passed ball all season, while Mathis had 5. So much for Scioscia's great-defense defense. For year's I've assumed that if Scioscia has an ugly daughter, Mathis promised to marry her. It's the only possible explanation I can come up with. Note to Mikey and Mickey: the engagement period is over. The think the thing that makes you so angry, Dad, is that everyone else could recognize the obvious, long before Scioscia.
MDDad
Posts: 12146
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Angels 2012

Post by MDDad »

OPINIONATED wrote:We had a pretty lengthy discussion about this a few months ago. (May 4th to be exact.) At the time, Mathis was right up there around the Mendoza line. Unfortunately, he fell to .174 with 3 HR's, while Napoli's 30 HR's was supported by a .320 average. To make it even more painful, Napoli had one passed ball all season, while Mathis had 5. So much for Scioscia's great-defense defense. For year's I've assumed that if Scioscia has an ugly daughter, Mathis promised to marry her. It's the only possible explanation I can come up with. Note to Mikey and Mickey: the engagement period is over. The think the thing that makes you so angry, Dad, is that everyone else could recognize the obvious, long before Scioscia.
Jeff Mathis flirts with the Mendoza Line like some guys do with skydiving. Every time he get close to crossing over, he gets woozy from giddiness and backs down to his .170 to .190 comfort zone.

Jeff's defensive superiority over Napoli is his greatest alleged asset. I'm sure the numbers certainly bear that out:

Errors: Mike Napoli - 2, Jeff Mathis - 3

Fielding Percentage: Mike Napoli - .996, Jeff Mathis - .995

Passed Balls: Mike Napoli - 1, Jeff Mathis - 6

Stolen Bases Allowed: MIke Napoli - 21, Jeff Mathis - 48

Caught Stealing Percentage: Mike Napoli - 36%, Jeff Mathis - 27%

Hey, wait a minute, that can't be right.
Post Reply