How about those Packers?

Vilepagan

How about those Packers?

Post by Vilepagan »

The Green Bay Packers are having a great season. 12-0 and 3 of their next four games will be at home. Here's hoping they go 16-0. :cheers:

Go Pack, Go!
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
SoMelo

Re: How about those Packers?

Post by SoMelo »

:thumbsdown: ... jus sayin'
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

I don't see anyone beating them, but be careful what you wish for...the Patriots 16-0 season ended up being one of their most disappointing in the end. Good luck...Rodgers is scary good.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Another win, 46-16 over Oakland...13-0 *does the happy Packer dance*
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

Vilepagan wrote:Another win, 46-16 over Oakland...13-0 *does the happy Packer dance*
Overheard during the commentary on today's game: prior to today, Rodgers had not thrown 3 consecutive incomplete attempts all season.

Holy eff.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

18echo wrote:Overheard during the commentary on today's game: prior to today, Rodgers had not thrown 3 consecutive incomplete attempts all season.

Holy eff.
I don't follow statistics much but I seem to recall that he's on track to break 2 or 3 QB records this season. I don't recall which ones but he's having a great season, and so is the team. I didn't see the whole game today, mostly the middle two quarters and the very end of the game, but from what I saw, the Packers got some real breaks from the fates. A "fumble" that was run into the end zone by Oakland only to be called back because of a clipping penalty, and then the "fumble" was challenged and ruled an incomplete pass instead. Shortly after that, Oakland kicks off, the Packers return it fifty yards, and in the process the returning player seems to step out of bounds, but when Oakland challenged the playl, the replay system malfunctions so they have to let the call on the field stand...those were some lucky breaks for the Packers...I was beginning to wonder if Tebow was praying for the Packers. ;)
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

Vilepagan wrote:
I don't follow statistics much but I seem to recall that he's on track to break 2 or 3 QB records this season. I don't recall which ones but he's having a great season, and so is the team. I didn't see the whole game today, mostly the middle two quarters and the very end of the game, but from what I saw, the Packers got some real breaks from the fates. A "fumble" that was run into the end zone by Oakland only to be called back because of a clipping penalty, and then the "fumble" was challenged and ruled an incomplete pass instead. Shortly after that, Oakland kicks off, the Packers return it fifty yards, and in the process the returning player seems to step out of bounds, but when Oakland challenged the playl, the replay system malfunctions so they have to let the call on the field stand...those were some lucky breaks for the Packers...I was beginning to wonder if Tebow was praying for the Packers. ;)
The replay equipment was down... I'm no lipreader, but when the ref was on the Oakland sidelines explaining that, I'm pretty sure I could tell that Hue Jackson was saying, "Reply equipment? How about that 80 f*cking foot screen right behind you!?!?!?"
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

18echo wrote:The replay equipment was down... I'm no lipreader, but when the ref was on the Oakland sidelines explaining that, I'm pretty sure I could tell that Hue Jackson was saying, "Reply equipment? How about that 80 f*cking foot screen right behind you!?!?!?"
That's funny. I didn't catch that but I do recall one of the commentator's saying something like "I don't know if that's ever happened before"...tough break for Oakland.
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Vilepagan wrote:
That's funny. I didn't catch that but I do recall one of the commentator's saying something like "I don't know if that's ever happened before"...tough break for Oakland.
I don't really think it was a game changer
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

SoMelo wrote:I don't really think it was a game changer
No, at 46-16 the Packers just pretty much walked all over Oakland and the Packers probably could have lost every call and still won handily, but for a little while it was almost surreal how all the cards were falling their way.
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Vilepagan wrote:
No, at 46-16 the Packers just pretty much walked all over Oakland and the Packers probably could have lost every call and still won handily, but for a little while it was almost surreal how all the cards were falling their way.
Walked all over them? More like a mugging
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

SoMelo wrote:Walked all over them? More like a mugging
I think one of the commentators used "shellacking", but whatever you call it, it has to make the teams facing them in the next three games a little nervous. :D
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

Vile, what's our attraction to the Packers? It ain't cuz they're winning I hope
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

oceanvue wrote:Vile, what's our attraction to the Packers? It ain't cuz they're winning I hope
No, but I'm sure that explains my exuberance. I'm not a sports fan generally, the only sport I ever watch on TV is football and only the Packers. I'm a Packer fan because I've always been a fan since my brother and I played for the team in 1967. Our coach was Vince Lombardi, and our QB was Bart Starr. We won the championship in the legendary "Ice Bowl", and went on to win Super Bowl II. I'd offer proof, but the only proof I have is a Polaroid picture of my brother and I in our uniforms and helmets out on the practice field with the football, mugging for the camera. :)

To understand the Packer fan I offer these tidbits of trivia:

To illustrate the hardships the fans and players are willing to undergo the aforementioned "Ice Bowl" will do nicely...

The game-time temperature was about −15°F / −26°C, with a wind chill around −48°F / −44°C.

The University of Wisconsin–La Crosse Marching Chiefs band were scheduled to perform the pre-game and half-time shows. However, during warm-ups in the brutal cold, the woodwind instruments froze and would not play; the mouthpieces of brass instruments got stuck to the players' lips; and seven members of the band were transported to local hospitals for hypothermia. The band's further performances were canceled for the day. During the game, an elderly spectator in the stands died from exposure .

The officials were unable to use their whistles after the opening kick-off. As referee Norm Schachter blew his metal whistle to signal the start of play, it froze to his lips. As he attempted to free the whistle from his lips, the skin ripped off and his lips began to bleed. The conditions were so hostile that instead of forming a scab, the blood simply froze to his lip. For the rest of the game, the officials used voice commands and calls to end plays and officiate the game. At one point during the game, CBS announcer Frank Gifford said on air, "I'm going to take a bite of my coffee."

On the Packers:

Green Bay is the third-oldest franchise in the NFL, though they were organized and playing in 1919. The Packers are the last vestige of "small town teams" that were once common in the NFL during the 1920s and 1930s.

The Green Bay Packers have won 13 league championships (more than any other team in the NFL), including nine NFL championships prior to the Super Bowl era and four Super Bowl victories

The Packers are the only community-owned franchise in American professional sports major leagues. Typically, a team is owned by one person, partnership, or corporate entity, i.e., a "team owner." The lack of a dominant owner has been stated as one of the reasons the Green Bay Packers have never been moved from the city of Green Bay, a city of only 102,313 people as of the 2000 census.

By comparison, the typical NFL city has a population in the millions or higher hundred-thousands. The Packers, however, have long had a large following throughout Wisconsin and parts of the Midwest; in fact, for decades, the Packers played four (one pre-season, three regular-season) home games each year in Milwaukee, first at the State Fair Park fairgrounds, then at Milwaukee County Stadium.

Based on the original "Articles of Incorporation for the (then) Green Bay Football Corporation" put into place in 1923, if the Packers franchise were to have been sold, after the payment of all expenses, any remaining money would go to the Sullivan Post of the American Legion in order to build "a proper soldier's memorial." This stipulation was enacted to ensure the club remained in Green Bay and that there could never be any financial enhancement for the shareholders. At the November 1997 annual meeting, shareholders voted to change the beneficiary from the Sullivan-Wallen Post to the Green Bay Packers Foundation, which makes donations to many charities and institutions throughout Wisconsin.

On the fans, and your suggestion that I might be a fan because they're winning this year ;):

The Packers' fan base is famously dedicated: regardless of the team's performance, every Packers game at Lambeau Field has been sold out since 1960. Despite the Packers having by far the smallest local TV market, the Packers have developed one of the largest fan bases in the NFL. Each year they consistently rank as one of the top teams in terms of popularity. The Packers have one of the longest waiting lists for season tickets in professional sports with about 86,000 people, meaning there are now more names on the waiting list than there are seats at Lambeau Field. The average wait time for season tickets is said to be over 30 years; yet since the team estimates only 90 tickets are turned over every year, if a name were to be added to the list today the estimated wait would extend well over 955 years. For this reason, it is not unusual for fans to designate a recipient of their season tickets in their wills or place newborn infants on the waiting list after receiving birth certificates.

The simple answer is that I'm a Packer fan because my father was a fan and his father before him, and if you were a boy in WI in the late 1960's you caught Lombardi Fever, and were infected for life. I ask you, how can you not love a team that's played as well as they have, for as many years, and isn't in existence to make people rich but to benefit the community?

I hope this answer wasn't more than you wished, but you did ask a Packer fan, why? :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Champi ... Game,_1967
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

bummer I was hoping you were a band wagoner because I'm out recruiting for the Clippers and Planet Earth is my territory. Party on
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

oceanvue wrote:bummer I was hoping you were a band wagoner because I'm out recruiting for the Clippers and Planet Earth is my territory. Party on
Let's see.....condolences to Green Bay and an iffy Jennings knee....I really hope it isn't serious...impact player.

OV...Chris Paul to the Clips....say it isn't so. Ainge wants him in green....me too.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

people don't realize that the Clippers had more wins last year than the Packers..albeit by a slim margin
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

Parrotpaul wrote: Let's see.....condolences to Green Bay and an iffy Jennings knee....I really hope it isn't serious...impact player.

OV...Chris Paul to the Clips....say it isn't so. Ainge wants him in green....me too.
I hate to see the Caveman go but it looks like it's a done deal. Good deal for both squads. Deandre Jordan is ready to be a star
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

the deal just got submitted to the league
kramer

Post by kramer »

Vilepagan wrote:The Green Bay Packers are having a great season. 12-0 and 3 of their next four games will be at home. Here's hoping they go 16-0. :cheers:

Go Pack, Go!
My Giants are going to have a rough time this coming Sunday up there... Rodgers is going to pick apart our weak secondary unless we can put pressure on him.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock