How about those Packers?

Parrotpaul

Re: How about those Packers?

Post by Parrotpaul »

kramer wrote:
My Giants are going to have a rough time this coming Sunday up there... Rodgers is going to pick apart our weak secondary unless we can put pressure on him.
Your Giants and Eli beat the unbeaten Patriots in the Super Bowl....same scenario this coming Sunday...bother the QB and play rough tough football. Have some confidence..,but it's always tough to predict what team the Giants will bring to any given game. Hell...they held Brady to 20 earlier this year and put up 24 to be one of three teams to beat NE. Don't count out the Giants yet, but fear Brees if it comes to that.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

Vilepagan wrote:
No, but I'm sure that explains my exuberance. I'm not a sports fan generally, the only sport I ever watch on TV is football and only the Packers. I'm a Packer fan because I've always been a fan since my brother and I played for the team in 1967. Our coach was Vince Lombardi, and our QB was Bart Starr. We won the championship in the legendary "Ice Bowl", and went on to win Super Bowl II. I'd offer proof, but the only proof I have is a Polaroid picture of my brother and I in our uniforms and helmets out on the practice field with the football, mugging for the camera. :)
I don't understand how that's possible.

There are about 300 sets of brothers who have played in the NFL and none of them are listed as having played with the '67 Packers (never mind having played concurrently). Further, if I recall correctly, you once upon a time took exception to being called "son" by [probably me] and admitted to now being in your mid-late 50's. That would have made you in your early teens in '67 (I was 16 and just entering 10th grade in '67).
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

GOODave wrote:I don't understand how that's possible.

There are about 300 sets of brothers who have played in the NFL and none of them are listed as having played with the '67 Packers (never mind having played concurrently). Further, if I recall correctly, you once upon a time took exception to being called "son" by [probably me] and admitted to now being in your mid-late 50's. That would have made you in your early teens in '67 (I was 16 and just entering 10th grade in '67).
Did you really think I was claiming that my brother and I played professionally with the Green Bay Packers?

FTR, I'm 51...in 1967 I was 7. I would have posted the polaroid picture if I could, but it never occurred to me that anyone would take my post literally. In 1967 every young boy in Wisconsin played for the Packers...in spirit of course.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

Vilepagan wrote:
Did you really think I was claiming that my brother and I played professionally with the Green Bay Packers?

FTR, I'm 51...in 1967 I was 7. I would have posted the polaroid picture if I could, but it never occurred to me that anyone would take my post literally. In 1967 every young boy in Wisconsin played for the Packers...in spirit of course.
Jeez, take a pill: I didn't mean nothin' by it: I only said I didn't understand.
kramer

Post by kramer »

Parrotpaul wrote:but it's always tough to predict what team the Giants will bring to any given game.
You have no idea how many times I have heard this same thing these last 2 or so months...

Parrotpaul wrote:Hell...they held Brady to 20 earlier this year and put up 24 to be one of three teams to beat NE. Don't count out the Giants yet, but fear Brees if it comes to that.
Go 49rs! :D
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Parrotpaul wrote:Have some confidence..,but it's always tough to predict what team the Giants will bring to any given game.
Apparently they brought a big ol' can of whipass to the game today. The Packers completely choked. Sad to watch after a great season.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Vilepagan wrote:
Apparently they brought a big ol' can of whipass to the game today. The Packers completely choked. Sad to watch after a great season.
Eli and the Giants...ever the spoilers. The Packers turned the ball over three times...not good form in the playoffs. They had a fine run as champs.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Packers got SMACKED!!!
kramer

Post by kramer »

SoMelo wrote:Packers got SMACKED!!!

“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

kramer

Post by kramer »

Parrotpaul wrote: Eli and the Giants...ever the spoilers.
Still smarting over that 18* and 1 season? :D

kramer

Post by kramer »

Vilepagan wrote:
Not for me. :D

And this in spite of probably 5 or more BAD calls by the refs. How they 'missed' that fumble in the first half is beyond me...

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

kramer wrote:
Not for me. :D

And this in spite of probably 5 or more BAD calls by the refs. How they 'missed' that fumble in the first half is beyond me...
Missed calls didn't determine that game. Great playing calling and a defense that caused GB to cough it up 3-4 times did. It wasn't Green Bay's day, and you bet I'm still smarting for the SB loss to the Giants as well as the loss to them earlier in the season, and if I'm still stewing imagine what Brady is thinking...Oops...there's still that Raven defense to deal with. It's tough not to imagine a Patriot/Giant rematch in Indianapolis Feb 5.
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

ok, things are getting weird. Pariots/ 49ers super bowl? Wild and wholly baby
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

oceanvue wrote:ok, things are getting weird. Pariots/ 49ers super bowl? Wild and wholly baby
That will be a lop-sided super bowl... more of a yawn bowl, if you ask me.

As to the Packers, this from the land where only the Packers and the Bears seem to exist:

Dear Packers,

BUH-bye

Fondly,
Dave

=D>

I have a soft spot in my heart for Eli Manning: I want to see him do well. But I never, even for a moment, thought the Giants would do that to the Packers. it would be REALLY cool if Joe Flacco would kick the Patriots out of it... but I'm not seeing that happen either (just like I didn't see Eli Manning and the Giants doing it to the packers).

"on any given Sunday, any given team can beat any other given team." Don't remember who said it, but looks like it might be pretty accurate.