FIFA officials arrested on corruption charges

John Q. Public
Site Admin

FIFA officials arrested on corruption charges

Post by John Q. Public »

Officials from football's world governing body Fifa took millions of dollars in bribes over 24 years to allocate tournaments and rig elections, a US investigation says.

Prosecutors said they had discovered a dozen schemes, including one awarding the 2010 World Cup to South Africa.

Fourteen people have been indicted, with seven held in Zurich on Wednesday.

~snip~

Swiss prosecutors have also opened a separate investigation into the bidding process for the World Cup tournaments in 2018 in Russia and 2022 in Qatar.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32902076

Russia and Qatar? Any soccer fan could have told you that.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Parrotpaul

Re: FIFA officials arrested on corruption charges

Post by Parrotpaul »

Small potatoes compared with NFL Deflategate scandal.***

***Sarcasm
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Hopefully the two governments will do more than set up a fee schedule for offenses.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

These are all soccer guys, right? When the arresting officers first touched them, I wonder if these guys all dropped to the ground and faked a critical injury.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

If they're convicted, they'll find being at the bottom of a goal celebration dogpile a lot different.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I'm wondering if the cops cuffed their hands or their feet.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Fine time for FIFA - The Movie to come out.

So where did Fifa’s money go ? Considering that the film United Passions was principally bankrolled by the now-shamed sports organizsation, it isn’t unfair to say some of the dough must have ended up in the pockets of Tim Roth, Gérard Depardieu, Sam Neill and Fischer Stevens.

You could argue and say they’re only actors, and actors like to work, but they surely read the screenplay before they signed on. Even without the current headlines, United Passions is a disgrace. It’s less a movie than preposterous self-hagiography, more appropriate for Scientology or the Rev Sun Myung Moon. As cinema it is excrement. As proof of corporate insanity it is a valuable case study.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ju ... -depardieu

Hmmm. Didn't care for it, huh?
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

Former FIFA VP Jack Warner is out on bail, and claiming that he'll be singing like a canary.

"Warner, who posted bail after being arrested over U.S. bribery charges last week, said he has deep knowledge about financial practices of soccer's world body, which faces a widening corruption scandal. On Wednesday, Interpol placed his name on its "red notice" list.

"I will no longer keep secrets for them who now seek to actively destroy the country in which I live," Warner said, adding that the international image of his native Trinidad is under attack.

He said he has collected information based on his own financial dealings with FIFA, as well as "my knowledge of financial transactions at FIFA — including, but not limited to, its president, Mr. Sepp Blatter.""

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... t=20150604
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Somehow I find this all fascinating.

FIFA and other soccer officials accepted $150 million in bribes and other moneys from marketing groups and other shady organizations who were seeking to buy influence and votes. They are being prosecuted. American politicians probably accept a hundred times that much from large corporations, labor unions, PAC's, 28,000 registered lobbyists and other shady organizations who are also attempting to buy influence and votes. Yet we shrug it all off as just being how the American political system works.

What's the difference?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

And politics (and sports at the match level) are two of the only places where it really makes a difference.

I've often wondered why we consider bribery to be so wrong, especially when we accept it as "just the way politics works." A lot of places in the world, it's just the way the whole system works. Foreign Babe says that in Romania it's even common practice to "tip" your doctor. A visa will take 6 mos. to a year. Staple 50 Euros to your application and you'll have it in a week or so. It's just the way those things work.

I can understand why it's wrong in situations where public health or safety are involved, but why is it so wrong for a buyer for Ralphs to "be awarded" a cruise for taking on Kale Cola? It's common practice for a sales rep to give a customer a bottle of hooch for Christmas - what's so wrong about giving him a pool? Or a Rolex or whatever? Drug companies got in a lot of trouble for that sort of thing a while back, but most of the time it seems like we get the most upset over it in situations where it matters the least.

But at least now that business with Budweiser being the official beer at the World Cup in freaking Germany is becoming clear. I think that one bugged me more than the Qatar deal did. It was just too wrong.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

JQP wrote:But at least now that business with Budweiser being the official beer at the World Cup in freaking Germany is becoming clear. I think that one bugged me more than the Qatar deal did. It was just too wrong.
It wasn't just wrong, it was demonic -- like naming Satan the official king of heaven.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Did they grab more than the county Pop Warner programs got taken for?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the $32 million film had a rough ride at the box office. How rough? Opening in 10 theaters across the country last weekend, “United Passions” grossed less than $700 total, for a per-screen average of about one customer per screening.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/the-frame/ ... -fails-to/

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]