Ronda Rousey.

Fordama

Ronda Rousey.

Post by Fordama »

I'm not an MMA fan, but this woman is something else. Great story overall, works hard, says the right things. And dominates her sport.

Here's an article about tonight's win. I like that she went to the challengers country to fight---then took care of business.

Here's a good write up of the fight, plus a couple of videos. The first is a short one of her walking into the hostile arena. Anyone involved in sports can appreciate the focus and intensity she showed coming in. The second is a gif that shows the last several seconds of the fight before she faceplants the Brazillian.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/earl ... ighlights/

[BBvideo 560,340]https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/A6F9FBD2 ... ZsTez4K43x[/BBvideo]
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Wabash

Re: Ronda Rousey.

Post by Wabash »

OUCH!!
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

I'm biased because I've been a big Ronda Rousey fan since before her UFC days when she fought in Strikeforce. If she continues on like this for another two or three years, she may be the most dominant female athlete in history. In addition, she's gorgeous, she's incredibly articulate, she has cross-over appeal into other fields, and she's willing to devote a hundred hours a day to whatever events and promotional angles the UFC asks her to do.

Many people may know professional wrestler "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. Ronda asked him several years ago if she could adopt the "Rowdy" nickname, and he graciously agreed. Piper passed away on Friday, and Ronda emotionally dedicated this fight to him.

UFC President Dana White should get down on his knees three times a day and kiss her butt for coming along when she did.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

There's something just "right" about her. Not flashy, not phony. Overcame a difficult background. We tend to put the best athletes up on a pedestal, but she doesn't seem to do that to herself.

But I'm glad I didn't drop $50 to watch that!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Yeah, you sure don't get your PPV money's worth when she fights. Her last four fights have lasted 66, 16, 14 and 34 seconds. She probably makes more money per minute than Bill Gates.

On the other hand, one could argue that she's one of the top ten athletes in the world, but probably isn't in the top 2,000 in gross pay.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

I want to know who the numbnuts are who say she doesn't look feminine. No one with the sense God gave a lemon is going to confuse her for being a man.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

They're called homosexuals, Wabash.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

No one with the sense God gave a lemon is going to confuse her for being a man.
I don't think even a lemon would be confused.

Wabash

Post by Wabash »

She's not unattractive but she is no beauty queen either.

She is competing in a martial arts contest, not one of those idiot beauty contests still plague our airwaves.

Though I do miss Bert Parks rendition of Miss America.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Luca

Post by Luca »

Because of the grappling involved and the takedowns - as well as the kicks - these types of fighters keep more distance from each other than do boxers or traditional martial artists. They also drop their arms a lot faster than boxers do because they have to protect their legs and body.

But as a result it always amazes me how wild the punching is, and how inaccurate compared to a boxer or stand up martial artist. I suppose you can't be outstanding in every manifestation – grappling, submissions, kicks and punching...............Luca
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

It's more realistic to actual street fighting than any of the other disciplines you mentioned. That's why they drop their hands so quickly. In an actual fight (I haven't been in one in a long time) there is no breaking when one gets into the clinches like there is in boxing.....Wabash

Luca

Post by Luca »

Understood.

Street fights don't necessarily wind up on the street, although they generally will if your opponent is a dedicated grappler. If one guy wants to get on the ground and knows how to do it it's hard to avoid. But if you are a skilled stand up martial artist/boxer and are fighting somebody who's not a skilled grappler it doesn't have to wind up on the ground.

My point is that compared to strictly stand up fighters a lot of the MMA people punch very wildly and it surprises me sometimes how they get away with it ...............Luca