Dayne Crist Leaving Notre Dame

Wiley

Dayne Crist Leaving Notre Dame

Post by Wiley » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:36 am

December 4, 2001

QB Crist is leaving Notre Dame

He graduates this month, so he'll be eligible to play immediately at new school

By Brian Hamilton, Chicago Tribune reporter

After two seasons lost to heart-rending injury twists followed by a gut shot of a first-game benching this year, maybe no one deserves a happy ending more than Dayne Crist. He'll officially seek it somewhere other than Notre Dame.

Crist asked for his release from Notre Dame and received the go-ahead to talk to other schools, paving the way for the quarterback to finish his career elsewhere in 2012, the Tribune has learned.

The school confirmed the big-armed, 6-foot-4, 235-pound Crist met with Irish coach Brian Kelly on Friday to pursue the release. Crist will graduate this month with one year of eligibility remaining, rendering him eligible to play instantly anywhere he goes.

"Dayne and I had a good conversation Friday and I have granted him permission to speak to other schools," Kelly said. "Dayne has been a valuable member of our team the last two years and if he feels he needs to look for a better situation then I think we owe that to him."

It comes as little surprise that he will exercise that option.

After knee injuries ended his 2009 and 2010 seasons, Crist battled back to earn the starting nod in 2011. He lost it after two quarters. He then saw action in only three of the remaining 11 games, including none of the final four.

As the season progressed, Kelly's support of sophomore Tommy Rees as the starter solidified. A week after a Crist goal-line fumble in relief of Rees led to a key USC touchdown, sophomore Andrew Hendrix became a change-of-pace option, eventually playing the entire second half of the season finale at Stanford.

Gradually, Crist's odds of playing a significant role in 2012 evaporated.

So while Crist remains popular and well-respected in the locker room, it is no shock he opted to play his final season somewhere he can play.

Players who have graduated with eligibility remaining can transfer to another program and compete immediately, per NCAA rules. Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson, a finalist for the Tribune's Silver Football trophy after transferring from North Carolina State, is the latest, most noteworthy example.

It's unclear if Crist will remain with the Irish through the bowl game — expected to be the Champs Sports Bowl on Dec. 29 — and where he will end up for 2012. He likely will be on campus for spring practice for whatever program he joins.

Wisconsin, Utah and San Diego State are among rumored landing spots for Crist, who was the nation's No. 2 quarterback in the recruiting class of 2008, according to Rivals.com. Crist sat out his first year at Notre Dame, tore his ACL in 2009 and then tore his patellar tendon after nine starts in 2010.

Crist finishes his Notre Dame career with 2,327 passing yards and 16 touchdowns against nine interceptions.

<email>
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

Whatthe?

Re: Dayne Crist Leaving Notre Dame

Post by Whatthe? » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:01 am

Not sure why this is news.....It was reported the last couple of months he would move on and finish his playing days else where.

Tommy Rees may also transfer as the writing is on the wall that Andrew Hendrix is the Qb that best fits Kelly's offense big strong and can run which is key in the spread offense.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:07 am

Whatthe? wrote:Not sure why this is news.....It was reported the last couple of months he would move on and finish his playing days else where.

Tommy Rees may also transfer as the writing is on the wall that Andrew Hendrix is the Qb that best fits Kelly's offense big strong and can run which is key in the spread offense.
It's too bad Crist had the knee injuries, I thought he would have made for a great college QB when I saw him play in HS.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Yes it was as if he were "snake bitten"....the first game with the two turnovers....and then
when he had an opportunity to get back in it later in another game...the first or second play
he ran he fumbled and cost ND a touchdown.

He was very impressive while in high school. One just never knows.

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:44 pm

longtimeobserver wrote:Yes it was as if he were "snake bitten"....the first game with the two turnovers....and then
when he had an opportunity to get back in it later in another game...the first or second play
he ran he fumbled and cost ND a touchdown.

He was very impressive while in high school. One just never knows.
Another Charlie Weis recruit who was rated too high by the pundits coming out of high school.

Notre Dame still has a few more including Manti Te'o.

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Heard on radio he might land at Washington St. with Leach. He's from the Seattle and Leach likes to throw 60 times a game
Last edited by oceanvue on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:54 pm

oceanvue wrote:Heard on radio he might land at Washington St. with Leach. He's from the Seattle and Leach likes to throw 60 times a game
Note sure where he would fit with Tuell, Halliday and Clements returning.

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:03 pm

Their starter graduated and what's left are young and couldn't compete with Crist (that's what they said, it might have even been Petro's..I listened to a lot of sports radio today)

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:09 pm

oceanvue wrote:Heard on radio he might land at Washington St. with Leach. He's from the Seattle and Leach likes to throw 60 times a game
No I'm confused it's Jake Heaps from BYU to Washington State....Sorry

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:42 pm

oceanvue wrote:
No I'm confused it's Jake Heaps from BYU to Washington State....Sorry
Tuel is the Cougar starter and will return next season. Not sure about Heaps but wouldn't he have to sit out a year which would put Halliday at the head of the class. I'm sure Coach Leach already has his eye on his "Air Raid" skill players.

Whatthe?

Post by Whatthe? » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:10 am

Wiley wrote:Another Charlie Weis recruit who was rated too high by the pundits coming out of high school.

Notre Dame still has a few more including Manti Te'o.
Wow...Did you really say Te'o is over rated?....That is the most uneducated thing a Trojan fan has posted here, I gues you are still butt hurt that Manti Te'o went to ND over USC.

Whatthe?

Post by Whatthe? » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 am

Manti Te'o announced he will be returning for his senior season with the Fighting Irish next year.....Also looks like Crist may join Weis at Kansas

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Whatthe? wrote:Manti Te'o announced he will be returning for his senior season with the Fighting Irish next year.....Also looks like Crist may join Weis at Kansas
There's good reason why Te'o is staying at Notre Dame. His pro-rating is low. Much like Galippo. Some mobile linebackers put on bulk to play in the middle and they slow down. If you noticed USC went with three smallish and speedy linebackers and it's paid off with the improvement of the defense. Leading Notre Dame in tackles doesn't mean he's the next Dick Butkus. It can also be a clear sign of the level of teams you play and having a leaky front four. I get "butt hurt" when USC loses to ND, so far it feel fine. I noted in an earlier thread about Weis and Crist re-uniting at Kansas. Not sure I can give that deal a positive spin.