UCLA Hires Jim Mora Jr.

pitcrew

UCLA Hires Jim Mora Jr.

Post by pitcrew » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:24 am

The school will announce the hiring tomorrow.

Link to LA Times Story

Wiley

Re: UCLA Hires Jim Mora Jr.

Post by Wiley » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:57 am

Mora was the first candidate to contact UCLA about the job and the last to be considered.

I'm reminded of the title of The Monkees' 1966 hit song with an appropriate metaphorical ending:

"Take The Last Train To Darksville."

:mrgreen:
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

OPINIONATED

Post by OPINIONATED » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:44 am

Wiley wrote:Mora was the first candidate to contact UCLA about the job and the last to be considered.
If that's the case, why wasn't Mora on your "in-the-know" Wileypedia list of so-called candidates just a couple of weeks ago? Making a hire within a couple of weeks after firing their coach is actually pretty impressive. That's less than half the time it took for USC to hire Pete Carroll, and only a little longer than it took Pete to skip out of town. Keep in mind that pitcrew first mentioned Mora a month-and-a-half ago on the Neuheisel thread, with OV and kicks concurring.

Remember how many were advancing the belief that nobody would be interested in the job and UCLA didn't have the money to approach any respectable coach? Meanwhile, UCLA came up with the same money USC pays, and made a very fast hire. And their season isn't even over yet.

Like I said in that other thread, Wiley, your contribution to the subject is tainted and useless.

And to paraphrase another 1966 Monkees' hit . . you're just my steppin' stone.

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:59 am

Maybe I'm a "Daydream Believer" (couldn't resist) but I think it was a great hire and a good fit for both. Again I spent 10 hours in my car (actually Chevy Avalanche..gas $2.97) on Tuesday listening to sports radio and they were pretty sure Mora jr. was going to get the job and had some insight into who he was, what his background is (other than being the son of a coach), and what kind of personality he has. I was surprised to find out that aside from his passive on air persona they painted him as ultra fiery and Grudenseque (new word by the Head) and he got a raw deal in Seattle but could be the a monster hire for the Bruins.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:08 am

oceanvue wrote:Maybe I'm a "Daydream Believer" (couldn't resist) but I think it was a great hire and a good fit for both. Again I spent 10 hours in my car (actually Chevy Avalanche..gas $2.97) on Tuesday listening to sports radio and they were pretty sure Mora jr. was going to get the job and had some insight into who he was, what his background is (other than being the son of a coach), and what kind of personality he has. I was surprised to find out that aside from his passive on air persona they painted him as ultra fiery and Grudenseque (new word by the Head) and he got a raw deal in Seattle but could be the a monster hire for the Bruins.
You drive an Avalanche??? Is it as versatile as they say?

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:19 am

SoMelo wrote: You drive an Avalanche??? Is it as versatile as they say?
It's an unbelievable brilliant vehicle. I leased an '04 Escalade and swore I would never have another GM product. This is an '03 Avalanche and is probably the finest vehicle I've ever owned

pitcrew

Post by pitcrew » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:12 pm

As I said in the Neuheisel thread, I like the Mora hire. Now we'll see what kind of staff he puts together, and most importantly, if he can recruit.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Playoffs?!? You talkin' about the playoffs!!

I guess that was Pops, but I luv it nonetheless.