Barkley 2012 Heisman winner and National Champ!

~44~

Barkley 2012 Heisman winner and National Champ!

Post by ~44~ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:20 pm

Heard it here first, Sucka!
Hi

MDDad

Re: Barkley 2012 Heisman winner and National Champ!

Post by MDDad » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:30 pm

~44~ wrote:Heard it here first, Sucka!
Matt Barkley > Steve Garvey

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Told you he was coming back

~44~

Post by ~44~ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:36 pm

MDDad wrote:
Hmmmmmmm

Matt Barkley (with Woods and Lee) = Steve Garvey
Rod Carew's johnson > planet Earth
Hi

~44~

Post by ~44~ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Game 1 vs. Norm Chow and his Hawaii team will be awesome. Barkley will start the season with 500yds and 5 TDs and solidify himself as the front-runner for the Heisman.
Hi

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Glorious Day!!! FIGHT ON!!!
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

RoadRunner

Post by RoadRunner » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:48 pm

~44~ wrote:Game 1 vs. Norm Chow and his Hawaii team will be awesome. Barkley will start the season with 500yds and 5 TDs and solidify himself as the front-runner for the Heisman.

and 3 int
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 pm

It's going to be a long season for SC & Barkley Haters...Can't wait :thumbsup:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

RPW

Post by RPW » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:29 pm

I hope he plays like he has nothing to lose. Good luck to him on the Heisman race and the NC.
I am The Voice of Reason

~44~

Post by ~44~ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:54 pm

RPW wrote:I hope he plays like he has nothing to lose. Good luck to him on the Heisman race and the NC.
Classy call

Did you hear about Junior Mora going off on the coachless Bruins on the Cannons? No more over-the-wall day according to Junior. He was also quoted saying "What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs?! You kidding me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game! Another game!"

Same dude?
Hi

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:17 pm

~44~ wrote:
Classy call

Did you hear about Junior Mora going off on the coachless Bruins on the Cannons? No more over-the-wall day according to Junior. He was also quoted saying "What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs?! You kidding me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game! Another game!"

Same dude?
Mora was also quoted in the Times as saying that playing football at UCLA is a right, not a privilege. Uh, OK. Did he brain fart and get that backwards, or have I had too much eggnog?

RPW

Post by RPW » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:59 am

~44~ wrote:
Classy call

Same dude?

Yeah and I agree. I would have dropped each one down the depth chart that wanted to go over the wall for spring and summer ball. First thing anyone has to do with UCLA is get the idea of winning back into their heads. Have some pride...

Also... I think paying up the bet to BB in a #7 jersey won't be so bad. I still need to pay my debt.
I am The Voice of Reason

~44~

Post by ~44~ » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:21 am

RPW wrote:

Yeah and I agree. I would have dropped each one down the depth chart that wanted to go over the wall for spring and summer ball. First thing anyone has to do with UCLA is get the idea of winning back into their heads. Have some pride...

Also... I think paying up the bet to BB in a #7 jersey won't be so bad. I still need to pay my debt.
I'm hopeful that Mora can get a QB. It baffles me how they have had only one good QB in the post Cade era.

I forgot about your bet with BiBi.
Hi

RPW

Post by RPW » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:00 am

~44~ wrote:
I'm hopeful that Mora can get a QB. It baffles me how they have had only one good QB in the post Cade era.

I forgot about your bet with BiBi.
I was trying to find the article that blamed everything on JP Losman. Here is the best recap from what I remember
FOLLOW THE LEADER; FIVE QBS TRY TO BE HEAD OF CLASS.
Title Annotation: SPORTS
Article Type: Statistical Data Included
Date: Jul 20, 1999
Words: 1806
Publication: Daily News (Los Angeles, CA)
ISSN: 0279-8026

Byline: Jon Wilner Staff Writer

This UCLA quarterback quagmire, now in its seventh month, is all Cade McNown's fault.

For all McNown's records and accomplishments, the most impressive may be this: He did not miss a game in four years. Now his toughness and resiliency, so crucial to UCLA's success, have become its curse. McNown never gave the Bruins a chance to develop a backup.

Less than a month before training camp, the quarterback question remains unanswered. The five competitors - Drew Bennett, Scott McEwan, Cory Paus, Ryan McCann and J.P. Losman - are spending the summer together. They are lifting weights together, running together, throwing together, eating together and preparing together for the most important weeks of their college careers.

``A lot of what happens in August will depend on what happens in June and July,'' Bennett said. ``We're doing stuff every day. For all of us, it's an important summer.''

And one without supervision, for the NCAA prohibits football-related contact between coaches and athletes until training camp. No meetings. No supervised film sessions. The quarterbacks spend as much time learning the playbook as sleep patterns and summer school permit. Then they apply it during daily workouts with receivers and defensive backs. If they have a question, they ask each other.

McNown himself is proof of this summer program. His great leap forward came not during his junior season, when he led the nation in passing efficiency, but during the previous summer, when hours of study and application branded the offense to his cortex.

UCLA coach Bob Toledo and offensive coordinator Al Borges are concerned, but not worried, about the quarterback quagmire. Although spring practice did not deliver a standout, it convinced them of the unit's overall quality. They could have named a temporary starter (probably Bennett) but figured there was no need to eliminate anyone before the summer began.

``The summer is a big part of what success they're going to have in training camp,'' Toledo said. ``We'll wait and let it happen.''

Conceivably, a starter and backup will emerge early in training camp. Realistically, the Bruins may enter the final days of camp without a No. 1 guy. Potentially, they could play two quarterbacks Sept. 4 against Boise State.

``It'll be a very brief training period, one week, maybe less,'' Borges said. ``Then we'll try to trim it to two or three. But we haven't committed to anything. That's just the tentative plan. The bottom line is we want to keep them all alive and see how they progress this summer.''

Each player has his own concerns, and his own questions, as the summer slowly expires.

Summer of Uncertainty

Upon committing to UCLA three summers ago, Thousand Oaks High's McEwan plotted his college career. He'd redshirt as a rookie, then spend his second season learning from McNown. When his third year arrived, he'd challenge for the starting job.

Year 3 is weeks away.

``I knew I'd have to be ready to play my third year,'' McEwan said. ``I told people when I committed that that would happen. Now I have to make it happen.''

McEwan's position is unique. He's not as experienced as Bennett, not as young as Paus, McCann and Losman. He can't avoid the agonizing tick of the eligibility clock, a constant reminder he has three seasons left. Decision time is approaching.

``If I'm not the starter this year, then I'm probably not going to be the starter next year or the year after, unless there are injuries,'' he said. ``If I don't get it now, the opportunity may be gone.

``Coach Borges mentioned the thought of transferring if I don't get the job. But I like UCLA so much. I'm 30 minutes from home. It would kill me to have to transfer.

``But I also love football. That has helped motivate me. I have so much to lose if I don't start.''

Last summer, McEwan spent a week on Lake Havasu and worked at Bel Air Country Club. This summer, he's all football, all the time. He has a strong arm and solid delivery, but his agility must improve. His emphasis this summer is throwing on the run - a prerequisite for UCLA's diverse attack.

``From the day he came to UCLA until today, McEwan is the most improved quarterback we have,'' Borges said. ``His accuracy is very good, and he understands the offense. But there's definitely a sense of urgency.''

Summer of Motion

The quarterback quagmire may not exist if not for a quarterback quirk.

Bennett is UCLA's best athlete. He is big and fast. He has a 38-inch vertical jump, great hands and quick feet. He's bright. He understands the system better than his competitors. He'd probably be the starter today if not for a flaw in his delivery that causes his passes to wobble inaccurately.

``I definitely had a decline in my accuracy last season, and I'm trying to pick that up,'' said Bennett, a junior who was McNown's backup in 1997 and '98. ``I completed 70 percent of my passes in the spring of '98 and 55 percent in the spring of '99.

``Part of it is fundamentals. Sometimes, the ball doesn't come off my hand like I want it to.''

Bennett's emphasis this summer is mechanics. He must improve his balance and footwork. He must use the same motion - and the same release point - until it becomes muscle memory. If he refines his motion and improves accuracy, the quarterback competition may be over before Bennett turns 21 on Aug. 26.

``Training camp is going to be so weird,'' he said. ``It's weird to sit at home and think it's finally possible to win the starting job on a top-25 team.''

Summer of Reality

J.P. Losman had everything in place when he graduated a semester early from Venice High. He was a top-rated quarterback, and the Bruins had a vacancy. With his resume, confidence and rocket arm, Losman expected to win the starting job in spring practice - two months before his senior prom.

Instead, he was overwhelmed.

``It's a lot different than high school,'' he said. ``I got the playbook the day I signed, and I didn't know what I was looking at.''

Now the question is whether Losman's looking elsewhere. He has not been spotted in Westwood since summer workouts began, which means he's losing ground by the week. Several Bruins said Losman was so startled by the level of play that he's mulling a transfer.

``I've just been busy,'' he said when asked about his absence from Spaulding Field. ``I'm coming back. I'll be there in August.''

Asked if he planned to join his teammates this month, Losman said he wasn't sure.

No doubt, his task is enormous. UCLA's playbook is four inches thick and has dozens of plays, each with different protection schemes and formations. Compared to a high school system, it's astrophysics.

``He has high expectations, and I wouldn't count him out,'' Borges said. ``But it's not easy to learn this offense. It took Cade a while.''

Summer of Reaction

Before spring practice began, Toledo told his quarterbacks their most important duty was to avoid mistakes and distribute the ball to UCLA's playmakers at running back and receiver. McCann, a redshirt freshman, did not forget Toledo's advice, not for a second, and that was his biggest mistake.

``More than any of them, I think Ryan took it the wrong way,'' Toledo said.

An Agoura native, McCann was so concerned with avoiding mistakes it paralyzed him. He didn't make any mistakes, but he didn't make any plays, either.

``In the (final spring scrimmage), I had two roll-out passes, and both times I had a guy open,'' he said. ``But I thought it was a tight throw, so I tucked it in and ran for four yards. I should have thrown both times. I can't play scared.

``I was thinking too much instead of playing. Hopefully, watching film and throwing this summer will help with that.''

McCann is a regular in the film room and often throws after practice. Toledo and Borges laud his work habits. If anything, he's too analytical, which short-circuits his reactions in competition.

``For me, this summer is all about the mental part of the game,'' he said. ``The main thing is learning the offense enough so I can read and react.''

Summer of Application

Paus hates the wait. In his perfect world, there would be no summer - only spring practice, a few days of training camp, and the season.

``Let's just get the summer over,'' said Paus, a redshirt freshman. ``It's been real repetitive, working out every day, throwing four days a week. I just want to get going. If I have a strength, it's that I do OK in the games. I felt more comfortable in the scrimmages than in practice. I just want to play.''

Several longtime UCLA watchers, enthralled with Paus' toughness and leadership - traits McNown carries in bulk - have pronounced him the eventual starter. While that may be premature, there's no disputing the premise: Although he lacks Bennett's experience and can't match Losman, McEwan or McCann for arm strength, Paus oozes intangibles.

In the three spring scrimmages, he was the only quarterback to consistently move the offense. Even his greatest flaw is reminiscent of a young McNown: Improbably confident, he'll force a big play instead of making the safe play, sometimes leading to turnovers.

``I feel like I'm in an OK position,'' he said. ``If we played today, Drew would be the starter, and that's how it should be. But we still have training camp to go.

``It's a matter of who grasps the offense best. You can study it over and over and still not know it. You have to be able to apply it on the field.''

PASSING THE TEST

Five quarterbacks enter training camp next month looking to replace UCLA's all-time passing-yardage leader Cade McNown. Here's a look at the passing standards set by Bruins QBs of the past:

Player Years Yards

Cade McNown 1995-98 10,368

Tom Ramsey 1979-82 6,168

Tommy Maddox 1990-91 5,363

Troy Aikman 1987-88 5,298

Wayne Cook 1991-94 4,723

Dennis Dummit 1969-70 4,356

Gary Beban 1965-67 4,087

Matt Stevens 1983-86 2,931

Larry Zeno 1962-64 2,857

Rick Bashore 1976-79 2,840

CAPTION(S):

3 Photos, Box

Photo: (1--Color) RYAN McCANN, DREW BENNETT, SCOTT McEWAN and CORY PAUS

(2--Color) Cade McNown is UCLA's career record holder in the following.

YARDS

TDs

ATTEMPTS

COMPLETIONS

(3) ``It's a matter of who grasps the offense best. You can study it over and over and still not know it. You have to be able to apply it on the field.''

- Cory Paus

one of five vying to be top UCLA quarterback

Phil McCarten/Staff Photographer

Box: PASSING THE TEST (See text)
Bottomline is if JP Losman didn't transfer to Tulane.... UCLA could still be good.
I am The Voice of Reason

afan95

Post by afan95 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:02 am

MDDad wrote:
That's not hard to do.
I certainly hope you're talking about athletic ability although that's questionable as well. Garvey has how many kids by how many wives most of whom he wasn't even in a "relationship" with and he'll never be in the baseball HOF.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:06 am

afan95 wrote:Garvey . . . he'll never be in the baseball HOF.
Now you did it. You've poked a sleeping Buc with a sharp stick.

~44~

Post by ~44~ » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:41 am

afan95 wrote: That's not hard to do.
I certainly hope you're talking about athletic ability although that's questionable as well. Garvey has how many kids by how many wives most of whom he wasn't even in a "relationship" with and he'll never be in the baseball HOF.

Tiger will probably not make it into the golf HOF either. Magic, Worthy and Kobe (and every person to ever play in the NBA not named AJ Green) all out according to your make believe criteria.
Hi

Red

Post by Red » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:48 am

~44~ wrote:

Tiger will probably not make it into the golf HOF either. Magic, Worthy and Kobe (and every person to ever play in the NBA not named AJ Green) all out according to your make believe criteria.
I thought Roberto Alomar would NEVER make it to the HOS because of his aggregious incident, but he did.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

pshaw

Post by pshaw » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:05 am

Ron SANTO???

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:07 pm

~44~ wrote:

He won't make it because he wasn't that good, take your 2600 hits less than 300 home runs out of here. Hall of Fame? N!gga please.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch